Wednesday

Three Coins and a Treasure - Unexpected Blessings in God's Word

I found a quarter, a nickel, and a penny in the bottom of the washing machine today. It made me happy, not because I needed thirty-one cents, although another Aldi quarter is always welcome. I felt happy because I’d found something valuable in an unexpected place

God’s Word isn’t an unusual place to find treasure, but I had a similar moment of delight during my quiet time recently. 

I read the account of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego standing before the king, and I discovered treasure in two little words tucked into the narrative: “even if.” 

“Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego replied to him, ‘King Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter. If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to deliver us from it, and he will deliver us from Your Majesty’s hand. But even if he does not, we want you to know, Your Majesty, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up’” (Daniel 3:16-20). 

Even if God doesn’t rescue us, we will not sin against Him. 

Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego’s bold and faith-filled declaration made my heart swell. Like these young men from long ago, I want to stand for right, even when it costs me. I want to love God so much that I’d risk my life to please Him. I want to be a courageous witness and an unwavering representative of Christ in this dark world. I want to make God proud. 

I suspect you do, too.


Like the coins in the bottom of my washing machine, little words with great meaning are sprinkled throughout the pages of Scripture. 

Lord, give us eyes to see them and hearts to obey.

Now it's your turn. Have you found treasure in God's Word lately? Share it in the comment box so we can all enjoy your discovery. If you're reading by email, click HERE to visit Hungry for God online and share your thoughts.   



Are you hungry for God, but starving for time? 
I’d love to send you a 5-minute e-mail devotion twice a week to start your day off with the Lord. 

Sign up for a free subscription to Hungry for God by CLICKING HERE.
Then, be sure to VALIDATE the confirmation email you receive. 

Note: I promise never to spam you or share your email address.

Because busy women need to connect with God in the craziness of everyday life.







8 comments:

  1. Powerful message, Lori. I also want to have bold faith and trust in God's sovereignty. I want an even-if faith for the Lord!

    One treasure I have found in God's Word that this article actually reminded me of is Psalm 23:4, "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, your rod and your staff, they comfort me." (ESV.) All of us have even-though moments in life. I'm currently in the middle of one of the darkest valleys ever. The Lord showed me that through every one of those hard and dark valleys, my source of comfort and bravery comes from Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, Karen, I, too, have walked that dark valley and found God's mighty comfort surrounding me. May you, too, find sustenance, grace, and hope in his unchanging presence. Sending prayers your way today, friend.

      Delete
  2. God's Word is alive and active in the view out of my home office window. This morning I am watching trees covered in Spanish moss bend back and forth. The gentle wind moves the trees and streaks of sunlight peek between the bare branches. I am reminded Spring will come and those trees will be covered with leaves. This makes me think of how God renews us in each moment. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a beautiful picture of creation's hope and promise. You described it so well I could smell the salt air and feel the breeze. As someone who loves spring and hates winter, I, too, constantly search of signs of the coming season. Come quickly, I pray!

      Delete
  3. Anonymous2:42 PM

    You make a good point. It's important to remain faithful "even if". I am reminded of the old Garth Brooks song "Unanswered Prayers".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Robin, I think this is how we best demonstrate our faith. It's easy to claim faith when things are going well, but will we cling to faith even if? May we all be found faithful.

      Delete
  4. I found that same treasure a year or so ago Ms. Lori. Isn't it a wonderful freedom to know that no matter what happens on this earth, or in my life, I know how the story ends. I know God's promises will always be kept. What great peace I found in those two small words. There are so many treasures awaiting us in God's Word my friend. It seems that no matter how many times I read or study His word, I find new treasures never before revealed. It truly is "the never-ending story." Thank you for reminding me of this great truth today ma'am. God's blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is great comfort in knowing that God's promises never fail, even if circumstances make it seem as though they have. What we see isn't all there is to the story. I agree that those nuggets of truth glimmer on the pages of Scripture like special treasure, proving the living nature of God's Word. We can never plumb the depths!

      Delete

Did this devotion speak to you? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Leave a comment below and join the conversation.