Sunday

How Do We Wear His Name?

 I spotted the shirt from across the gym. Distinctive blue letters on a bright red background said Red Sox

Because I grew up in Rhode Island, my family and I were fierce supporters of the Sox, cheering them to victory over the despised New York Yankees. 

Now that I live in South Carolina, I don’t see Red Sox paraphernalia very often. I guess this is why the man’s red shirt stood out to me. Block letters on the back said B-R-A-D-L-E-Y. 

I hope Bradley’s a good guy, I thought. Sox or no Sox, I wouldn’t want to wear someone’s name on my back unless he was someone I’d be proud to be associated with. 

During the tribulation period, people won’t be choosing which baseball player’s name to wear on their backs. They’ll be deciding whether to wear the mark of the antichrist (Revelation 3:16-17) or the name of God (Revelation 14:1). 

The mark of the antichrist will grant them the ability to buy, sell, and conduct business. The name of God could get them killed. 

Although creation groans for the end times, we’re not there yet. In the United States at least, we can still assemble for worship, carry a Bible, and share our faith without fear of persecution. 

But for how long? 

How long before, like our brothers and sisters in China, our pastors will be arrested, our churches closed, and our members will have to hide to worship? 

Or, like believers in the East African country of Eritrea, we’ll be arrested and imprisoned for years without ever being charged with a crime? 

Or, like Christians in North Korea, we’ll risk being tortured as a traitor for swearing allegiance to God instead of the ruling family? 

We don’t like to think of these possibilities, but they are real. They could happen—to us. 

When the stakes are high and the punishment severe, will we be so quick to wear the name of Jesus? To display His cross around our necks? To pray like Daniel did when he knew evil eyes were watching? 

First Corinthians 4:2 reminds us, “Now it is required that those who have been given a trust must prove faithful.” 

We have, indeed, been given a trust—a weighty trust—one that may soon come to an end. For now, we have the freedom to name the name of Jesus without fear. What are we doing with this trust? 

How do we bear Jesus’ name? Are we cowardly and ashamed? Or bold and winsome? Do we share the good news of our faith as if it truly is good news? Or do we treat it like some awkward family secret we reveal to only our closest friends? 

We owe it to our brothers and sisters in China, Eritrea, and North Korea to wear his name proudly and without fear. 

We owe it to Jesus. 




Are you hungry for God, but starving for time? 
I’d love to send you a 5-minute e-mail devotion twice a week to start your day off with the Lord. 

Sign up for a free subscription to Hungry for God by CLICKING HERE.
Then, be sure to VALIDATE the confirmation email you receive. 

Note: I promise never to spam you or share your email address.

Because busy women need to connect with God in the craziness of everyday life.







6 comments:

  1. Wonderful question Ms. Lori. How do I wear His name? I pray it is with the humility, grace, mercy, understanding, empathy, and love that He displayed in His life--an example for us. Thank you so much for this gentle reminder. You're so right; few in America can understand the depth of persecution that is coming. God's blessings for your willingness to wear His name in your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an honor and a privilege, J.D., one I hope we’ll have all the days of our lives. And so we press on!

      Delete
  2. I pray I wear His name the right way in every moment. I do know I fail at times, yet He is always waiting for me to start again. To go to Him in prayer and ask for forgiveness. He shows me the way in every moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Melissa. I am so thankful for the perfect grace that covers our imperfect attempts. Just another reason to be grateful, yes?

      Delete
  3. Lori, what a powerful post!Your challenges and questions made me stop to think how I wear His name daily. I hope I represent Him well as I seek to be more like Him.

    ReplyDelete

Did this devotion speak to you? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Leave a comment below and join the conversation.