Sunday

Our Prayers Have No Expiration Date

When was the last time you found treasure in an unexpected place?

I found some today. Like reaching into my pocket and finding a twenty dollar bill, this unexpected discovery made my heart happy.

I reached into the book of Luke, and there it was, nestled in the folds of the Christmas story. 

Zechariah, the elderly priest, had drawn a once-in-a lifetime opportunity to burn incense in the temple of the Lord. “He was a just man, observing the Lord’s commandments and serving blamelessly.”

But. 

“But they had no children, because Elizabeth was barren; and they were both well along in years” (Luke 1:7).

As Zechariah prepared to offer the fragrant incense to God, an angel appeared.

An angel.

Angels appear frequently in the narrative of the Christmas story. Familiarity often causes us to breeze right past them. But they weren’t common in the first century. Seven hundred years of silence had echoed in the space between the final promise of Malachi and the first whisper of Matthew, and now the silence was over.

God picks up the conversation right where he left off—by heralding the forerunner of the Messiah. He sends an unexpected message through an otherworldly messenger.

I wonder, did the angel’s clothes shimmer with ethereal light from God’s presence? Did he shake space dust from his mighty wings? Did his feet shine with the reflection of golden pavement?

I’ve no doubt his appearance was awe-inspiring, because Scripture tells us Zechariah was “gripped with fear.”

Maybe he reached for his nitroglycerin pills or leaned trembling on his staff. Perhaps he blinked his cataract-clouded eyes—more than once.

“Do not be afraid,” the angel said (v. 13).

“Zechariah, your prayer has been heard.” 

My prayer? What prayer? Zechariah blinks again, this time in confusion.

 “Your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son.”

God heard my prayer for a son? I prayed that prayer every day. I cried. I begged. I fasted.


But that was decades ago. And when Elizabeth’s womb remained empty and her fruitful years passed, I stopped praying. That dream died.  


“Your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you are to give him the name John. He will be a joy and a delight to you, and many will rejoice because of his birth” (v. 13-14).

A joy and a delight. 

The angel’s words to Zechariah were a gift. They are a gift to us as well. 

They remind us that there is no expiration date on our prayers. They go ahead of us into eternity. They continue to accomplish God’s purposes long after the words leave our lips.

In the fullness of time, according to His good plan, God moves. 

Zechariah saw his prayer answered decades after he had uttered it. But he didn’t get what he asked for.

He got so much more. 

Instead of giving him an ordinary little boy who lived an ordinary little life, God gave Zechariah John the Baptist, the one who would come “in the spirit and power of Elijah, 'to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children,' and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just, to make ready a people prepared for the Lord" (Luke 1:17).

Because we are human, our understanding is limited and short-sighted. We ask for things that seem right and reasonable.

But God has greater plans. His understanding is boundless and his purposes eternal.

We take the short view of today and tomorrow and next week. He takes the long view and sees into the end of time.

His plan of redemption and grace march on, unaltered by human frailty and failure. God will rescue His people (Deuteronomy 32:36). He will complete the good work He has begun in us (Philippians 1:6).

And He will answer our prayers. Perhaps not in the way we think. But in the way He knows is best.

Perhaps this is why Jesus encouraged us to “always pray and not give up” (Luke 18:1).

What are you praying for today? What have you prayed for in the past and failed to receive? Zechariah’s story reminds us that we can trust God not only to hear our prayers, but to answer them—in ways we could never have imagined.

Those unanswered prayers that make your heart hurt with longing? You can trust Him.

Ask Zechariah.



Are you hungry for God, but starving for time? 
I’d love to send you a 5-minute e-mail devotion twice a week to start your day off with the Lord. 

Sign up for a free subscription to Hungry for God by CLICKING HERE.
Then, be sure to VALIDATE the confirmation email you receive. 

Note: I promise never to spam you or share your email address.

Because busy women need to connect with God in the craziness of everyday life.




10 comments:

  1. Amen! It took 15 years to see my wife saved. It took nearly 40 years of praying for God to bring me to His gift of my wife Diane. There are many prayers that seen unanswered, but I have the assurance of knowing that when I am in the right position with God, that He hears my prayers. Hope is the realization of faith. Thank you so much for this important reminder to never stop praying. God's blessings and Merry CHRISTmas ma'am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your testimony, J.D. My husband prayed for his brother for 27 years before he got saved, but when he did, it was a glorious and marvelous thing. It is so comforting to know that God's timeline isn't our, and that His is always right. Lord, give us faith to trust and patience to wait. Christmas blessings to you!

      Delete
  2. I can hear your sweet voice in every word. Thank you for sharing your calming, gentle wisdom every week. I'm encouraged. I'll keep on praying and trusting. God has a better plan than I do. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you're finding my simple words helpful Andy. Thank you for your encouragement :)

      Delete
  3. Wonderful message. I am comforted knowing God is always listening to my prayers. He will answer in His way because He knows the plans He has for me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:47 PM

    This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This prompted me to think about another kind of prayer. I know God can do anything, nothing is impossible for Him. What do you think about retroactive prayers? You know those times when you forget to pray for someone for a specific appointment, test, decision, etc., and you remember after the date. Sometimes I pray then that the need will have been met, the surgery will have went well, the right decision made. Is this okay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jackie, I do the same thing. Because God knows the end from the beginning, and isn't limited by time, I believe he takes ALL our prayers into account as he works in other's lives. We are frail, and we forget, but God sees our hearts and our desire to intercede on our loved ones' behalf. I believe he honors that, even if the timing is a little off. Thanks so much for joining the conversation today. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  6. No expiration date! Amen! What a comfort. And an encouragement not to let my praying have an expiration date. Never give up. God is working and His plans are perfect. He may not answer how I'm praying, but He will answer in His perfect time with His perfect answer. And when I stand in His presence one day, I will have no complaints. Thanks, Lori!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A great comfort indeed, Friend. And such peace, knowing we don't have to carry the burden of what and when. All we need to remember is Who, and that Who is the One who works all things together for our good and His glory. Thank you, Jesus!

      Delete

Did this devotion speak to you? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Leave a comment below and join the conversation.