Wednesday

Don't Get Sucked In by Conversational Undertow

 I wonder how many people were swept away by the deceptively-calm water of the Columbia canal before the city posted warning signs about its dangerous undertow? 

One? Two? Ten? 

I’ve never felt inspired to wade into the murky water, especially after city officials posted a second sign: Alligators May Live Here. 

While I have enough sense not to swim into questionable water, I’ve sometimes been sucked into a conversational undertow that’s almost as dangerous. Negativity, gossip, criticism, foolishness, and unwholesome talk can carry us downriver as quickly as a fast-moving canal. 


Negativity 

Negativity is subtle. It usually begins with an observation. “Sure is cold today.” Then it grows. “I hate cold weather.” 

And it spreads. “I do, too. As soon as it turns cold, everyone gets sick.” 

Then someone else chimes in. “Yeah! I got the flu so bad last year I thought I’d never recover. I wish people would get the flu shot. People are so selfish and inconsiderate.” 

And on, and on, and on. Before you know it, everyone within hearing distance is grumpy. 

Philippians 4:8 provides the antidote: “Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable – if anything is excellent or praiseworthy – think about such things.” 

Gossip 


A writer once said, “A lie can travel halfway around the world before the truth has time to lace up its boots.” This is certainly true with gossip. Even in Christian circles. 

Sometimes gossip springs from a root of truth and genuine concern. “Mary and her husband separated last week. We need to pray for them.” If we add unnecessary details not required to fuel our prayers and share them with those who have no business knowing them, the seeds of gossip find fertile ground. With every retelling, the facts get fuzzier and the truth blurs until the story resembles a thrice-removed cousin at a family reunion. 

We can avoid getting trapped in the undertow of gossip by asking these questions: Is it true? Is it kind? Does it need to be said? Very little can make it past this filter, and what does bears no resemblance to gossip. 

Speak “the truth in love,” Ephesians 4:15 exhorts.

Criticism 

Criticism often hides behind efficiency. “If she’d do it my way, we wouldn’t have this problem.” We focus on the ten percent that’s bad about a situation, instead of the ninety percent that’s good. Criticism in a home, office, or church spreads faster than a stomach bug in a daycare. It sucks the joy out of a room, elevates the negative, and dismisses the positive. 

The cure for this harmful spirit is gratitude. Thanking God for every good gift fills our hearts and minds and elbows out critical thoughts and fault-finding words (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18).

Foolishness 

The biblical description of foolish talk involves more than just silliness. A fool by God’s standards is a person who acts as though there is no God. Their speech is filled with statements like “I have bad luck,” “It’s karma,” and “I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.” 

Foolish talk of a more serious type says, “God’s mad at me,” “God doesn’t want me to be happy,” and “God doesn’t hear my prayers.” 

Psalm 14:1 spotlights the source of this conversational undertow: “The fool has said in his heart, there is no God.” The cure is a solid understanding of God’s character, based on His Word. When we acknowledge there is a God, surrender our lives to Him, and study His Word, we’ll find that less and less foolishness comes out of our mouths. 

Unwholesome Talk 


We need only turn on our televisions or watch a movie to hear more unwholesome talk in an hour than our grandparents heard in their lifetime. I’ve often wondered why we invite television shows with cursing and vulgarity into our homes when we’d never tolerate a real person using such language in front of our spouse or children. 

Even Christians get drawn into our culture’s coarse and vulgar way of speaking. What goes into our ears often finds its way out of our mouths. We joke about things that used to be private. We use salty language and questionable slang. We use one manner of speaking at church and another with friends. 

“You used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived,” Colossians 3:7-8 says. “But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips.” 

One friend who’s determined to stop cursing has memorized Bible verses like this. She recites them to herself several times during the day. When she slips and uses bad language, she apologizes to the person listening, confesses it as sin to the Lord, asks forgiveness, and recasts her sentence, substituting a silly word for the vulgar one. She’s learning to master her tongue instead of letting it master her. 

The Conclusion of the Matter 

Like the undertow at the Columbia canal has the power to suck unsuspecting swimmers down the river and into the rapids, conversational undertow can carry us into dangerous relational waters. If we heed the warnings in God’s Word and stay far from the edge, we need not fear. Instead, we can embrace the challenge of Ephesians 4:29: 

“Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.” 

Now it’s your turn? Which of these conversational undertows do you struggle with the most? What steps are you taking to change? Leave a comment below and share your thoughts. If you’re reading by email, CLICK HERE to visit Hungry for God online and leave a comment. 



Are you hungry for God, but starving for time? 
I’d love to send you a 5-minute e-mail devotion twice a week to start your day off with the Lord. 

Sign up for a free subscription to Hungry for God by CLICKING HERE.
Then, be sure to VALIDATE the confirmation email you receive. 

Note: I promise never to spam you or share your email address.

Because busy women need to connect with God in the craziness of everyday life.







14 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:50 PM

    Gossip can be especially tricky, because there are times when a person may need to "vent"/"unload" or ask for advice. I once read a Christian girls' advice column (I don't think it's published anymore) and someone presented that question: gossip vs. advice-seeking. The column's author suggested that, if you actually want advice, you will be prepared to hear anything - rather than hoping to hear what you already want to hear. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question Ms. Robin. What came to my mind as I read it is "How does one tell the difference? Is it gossip or a request for help" The response I gave myself, or perhaps was given to me, was "If it starts with 'Can you help me... ' advice. If it starts with 'Did you hear... ', gossip." I would always be careful in applying that cause Satan is a slippery little bugger, but that's my quick answer my young friend.

      Delete
    2. I love this distinction, Robin. And I think, deep down in our hearts, we know the reason we're saying what we're saying. Do I truly want to slander someone because I'm angry at them or is my heart hurting and in need of release. Sometimes I have to check my conversation with friends because I don't want to diminish another in their eyes, even if what I'm saying is true. Perhaps I need to vent to God alone and find relief by unburdening myself into his listening ear. It's amazing, when I do this, how often I come away with a perspective on my own part in the matter that I never would have gotten if I just vented to a friend who I knew would take my side. Thanks for reading with a thinking heart and mind, friend.

      Delete
  2. This is a topic and post worth printing off and reposting again.I think Ephesians 4:29 sums it up for all examples of the under toe. There is a fine line between an observation, lament, and complaint. It's important to guard my mouth from crossing that line and also not to engage in conversation to go to the next step.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marilyn. I agree that the three are sometimes difficult to differentiate. One of the best descriptions of the difference between lament and complaint is that lament causes us to draw near to God in our misery, and complaint sets us up in opposition to God. David lamented, but he didn't complain. May his example be ours, too.

      Delete
  3. Amen, amen, Lori!! Truly, negativity can be SUCH a downward spiral. I'm challenging myself this season to reply, in response to negativity, with something positive, such as, "Ughh it's cold today," from a friend, and I reply, "Yes, but so cozy, and I get to wear my favorite snuggly sweater!" It's a little thing that can be a big thing. Thank you for this! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. In all honesty, I've struggled with all of these "strong, negative currents"; so it's not limited to your ladies. I think seeing it in our churches disgusts me more than in the world. Out in the world, we can escape it more easily it seems. Somehow, for me, it cuts deeper from within. As Paul guided, we must always seek what is good and right. It's difficult to do sometimes, especially when it involves walking away from a friend, but if my life is to be an example of what God can do, then I do so, with love. Far from perfect, I continue striving to grow more like Him. Well timed and well said reminder ma'am. Thank you; and God's blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do have to guard ourselves, J.D., and sometimes remove ourselves from downwardly-spiraling conversations. Sometimes, despite our best efforts to turn the ship around, it's obvious that it's sinking. Bailing to avoid drowning in it is the only option. Above all, we need to be sure we're not the one poking holes in the side with our words. Lord, set a watch over our mouths.

      Delete
  5. My undertow is my potty mouth. Im constantly asking God to help change that and I see change taking place but I now see that I can do more for the process. I copied Colossians 3:7-8 and Eph 4:29 on post-its. I will start with memorizing those and doing what the one lady in your post did when she slipped. If or when I slip I will repent thank God for his forgiveness, apologize to whomever heard me, and replace the bad word with a good one. I will continue to look up scripture pertaining to this subject to memorize. Thank you for this post it was right on time. Ive been praying about this daily and it really bothers me that I am a Christian and continue to let bad language come out of my mouth and I don't even watch much tv, it rarely comes on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet friend, you've described what so many of us have struggled with, whether our conversational undertow is negativity, criticism, or unwholesome speech -- it's a habit, and habits of any kind are HARD to break. You are wise to recognize that we can retrain ourselves, for God's glory, by taking positive steps toward change. I am saying a special prayer for you today. Press on in faith. God will honor your desire to honor him with your speech!

      Delete
  6. AMEN! I struggle with going down that negativity spiral too. Thank you for the many suggestions you provided here. Praise the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathleen,
      I'm glad God cares about what comes out of our mouths and calls us to use our tongues for good. I'm also glad He places His Holy Spirit inside us to "remind" us when we step over the line. Great is His faithfulness to finish the good work he's begun in us. THanks for reading and commenting today!

      Delete
  7. VERY WISE ADVICE. OCCASIONALLY I'M GUITLY IN THE SECTION WHERE YOU START OFF WITH A HONEST PRAYER REQUEST, THAT SADLY ADMTTLY TURNS INTO GOSSIP. LORD FORGIVE ME. HELP ME LEARN TO GIVE THE PRAYER REQUEST AND STOP SPEAKING AFTERWARDS, PUTTING EVERYTHING IN YOUR CARE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Martha, me too. It's such a slippery slope. I echo your prayer. May we glorify God with our mouths!

      Delete

Did this devotion speak to you? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Leave a comment below and join the conversation.