Wednesday

Bored with Your Devotional Time? Try Interval Training

Do you ever get bored with your devotional time? Ever feel like what you’re doing isn’t accomplishing the spiritual results you hoped for? 

Consider interval training. 

I first learned about interval training at the fitness center where I exercise every morning. Here’s the definition as it refers to physical activity: 

Interval training: training in which an athlete alternates between two activities, typically requiring different rates of speed, degrees of effort, etc. 

The Mayo Clinic article, “Rev up your workout with interval training” lists several benefits to this approach to exercising: 

*Higher calorie burn Increased time efficiency 

*Additional aerobic effect 

*Less boredom 

*Increased feelings of happiness 

Who wouldn’t want these benefits? 

Impressed with the science behind this approach, I decided to use an interval training exercise routine. I walk five laps at a brisk pace, then jog one. I’m not a runner, and I’ve never enjoyed jogging, but I found that one lap out of five isn’t so bad. 


Almost immediately, I saw a difference. I finished my workout quicker, which helped me get to work on time. The occasional jog broke up the monotony of 50 laps around the track, and instead of feeling drained at the end, I felt energized. 

But what does this have to do with morning devotions and spiritual boredom? 

We can apply similar principles to our spiritual exercise and achieve similar results. Think about what you normally do to engage God each day. 

If you’re like me, you probably sit in the same spot and read the same Bible you’ve used for the last five years. Or maybe you read from a devotional. You pray about the same needs and the same people, “Lord, keep my husband and children safe, draw my unsaved loved ones to you, and use us in your service today. Amen.” 

If you’re suffering from spiritual boredom or not seeing the spiritual results you hoped for, maybe it’s time to shake things up. 

Here are some suggestions for spiritual interval training: 

Read from a different Bible. Choose a different translation, or a new way of reading. I love the MacArthur Daily Bible, where, every day, I read a portion of the Old Testament, a portion of the New Testament, and a Psalm and Proverb. This year, however, I’ve been reading in The Chronological Study Bible instead. I may try The Archaeological Study Bible next. 


I’ve gained new insight and grown even more excited about God’s Word. Some days I use the Bible Gateway app to listen to different translations and readers without having to invest in new Bibles. Hearing God’s Word read aloud often gives me fresh insight. I catch emphasis and repeated words I would otherwise have missed. 

Use a Different Devotional. If you always read Charles Spurgeon’s Morning and Evening, read Oswald Chambers’ My Utmost for His Highest,. If you love The Upper Room devotions, try Our Daily Bread. If you haven’t read my book, Hungry for God … Starving for Time – Five Minute Devotions for Busy Women, I’d love for you to click over and grab a copy. 

Pray Using a Different Method. Do you normally use the ACTS (Admit, Confess, Thanks, and Supplication) way? Try using The Lord’s Prayer as a model instead. If you pray with a list in a prayer journal, go off script and invite God to bring people and situations to your mind and allow Him to direct your prayer time. Or pray for missionaries and ministries one day, family members the next, and friends, associates, and strangers the next. 

Meet with God in a Different Place. If you usually sit in your recliner in the den or read your Bible in bed, go somewhere else.
 Weather permitting, find a quiet spot outdoors, read in your car at lunch time, or listen to a Bible app while you’re walking. It’s amazing how a change of venue can open your heart and mind to things you’ve never see otherwise. 

Unlike physical training, spiritual interval training has less to do with speed and more to do with efficiency. When we switch things up in our Bible reading and devotional time, we rev up our spiritual metabolism, burn off negative influences, fight boredom, and increase our joy. Investing time and energy in God’s Word every day enables us to raise our level of spiritual fitness and increase our degree of spiritual health. 

If you’re struggling with boredom and inefficiency in your devotional time, I encourage you to banish it by applying interval training to your faith walk. 

"Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful" (Joshua 1:8).

Now it’s your turn. What do you do to keep your devotional time fresh? Leave a comment in the box below and share your thoughts. If you’re reading by email, CLICK HERE to visit Hungry for God online and leave a comment.



Are you hungry for God, but starving for time? 
I’d love to send you a 5-minute e-mail devotion twice a week to start your day off with the Lord. 

Sign up for a free subscription to Hungry for God by CLICKING HERE.
Then, be sure to VALIDATE the confirmation email you receive. 

Note: I promise never to spam you or share your email address.

Because busy women need to connect with God in the craziness of everyday life.







9 comments:

  1. Didn't realize this "has a name." Thanks for the encouraging words ma'am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How about that? Neither did I! Now we know . . . :) Thanks for reading today, J.D.

      Delete
    2. EFFECTIVE AND POWERFUL LOVE SPELL CASTER FOR ANY KIND OF PROBLEM YOU WANT TO SOLVE ON THIS YEAR THANKSGIVING AND XMAS CELEBRATION


      am from USA, would want to tell you all that i was able to put an end to my divorce issue and restore my marriage again, because i never wanted it to happen. i don’t know what came over my husband that he was filling for divorce, i etried to talk him out of it when he told me and he didn’t listen to me, i had no other option than to seek for the help of a spell caster and now am glad i did. Because if not for the help of spell, i don’t know what would have become of me by now because i loved my husband so much that i couldn’t stand loosing him. The spell worked like magic with the way and manner my husband change and started showing love instead of the divorce he was planning. i just too happy that everything is in place for me now. I would gladly recommend the use of spell to any one going through marriage problems and want to put an end to it. [gbojiespiritualtemple@gmail.com , gbojiespiritualtemple@yahoo.com was were i got the help to restore my marriage]
      website: http://gbojiespiritualtemple.website2.me

      Delete
  2. I like to read from different devotionals each day. Also, there are several Bibles in our home, each with a different translation. A study Bible helps, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the study part of my chronological BIble, Melissa. I"ve learned so much about the history, context, and parallel parts of the Bible a particular passage connects to. I'm so thankful to be able to benefit from the work of scholars.

      Delete
  3. You included so many wise choices, Lori. Bible study and time with God should be exciting. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree -- the most exciting book ever! Thanks for joining the conversation today, Jeannie.

      Delete
  4. I love the Chronological Bible, helped make it all even more real to me. And thanks for mentioning a change from Spurgeon. Will definitely check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will LOVE Oswald Chambers. Deep yet simple. Always timely. Thanks for sharing today :)

      Delete

Did this devotion speak to you? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Leave a comment below and join the conversation.