Tuesday

You're Invited!

What’s the most amazing invitation you’ve ever received? 

When I got a call from my congressman inviting me to a VIP tour of the White House, I was excited. I was even more thrilled when my son-in-law’s father offered me his frequent flyer miles to go visit my daughter in Japan. 

Today, however, I read an invitation that tops every invitation I’ve ever received. 

It’s a personal invitation, yet it’s for everyone—for me and for you, for your friends, for your relatives, even for strangers. It’s exclusive yet expansive. Elite yet all-encompassing. Open to the Public, yet By Invitation Only

The apostle John is the courier. Let’s read it together: 

“And the Spirit and the bride say, "Come!" And let him who hears say, "Come!" And let him who thirsts come. Whoever desires, let him take the water of life freely” (Revelation 22:17). 


When my congressman said, “Come to the White House. I’ll meet you at the East gate and see you in,” my heart beat with excitement. 

When my son-in-law’s father said, “Come to Japan. I’ll share my miles so you can visit your daughter,” I did a happy dance and wept. 

But when Jesus, the Lord almighty, threw open the gates of Heaven and said, “Come!”, I laughed. I cried. I rejoiced. I dissolved into a blubbery, slobbery puddle of gratitude and fell at his feet. I was undone. 

Yet not everyone who receives this invitation responds this way. 

Some flat out refuse this opportunity to experience the grandest adventure of all time. Some cling to the keys of their earthly shack instead of accepting the keys to God’s heavenly dwelling place. 

Others draw the putrid garments of their sin closer to their spiritually dying bodies instead of shedding their rags and putting on the snowy garments of eternal life. 

Still others shove their fingers in their ears and avert their eyes, pretending they don’t hear the Spirit of God whispering. And calling. And shouting. 

“Come.” 

“Come." 

“Come! Let him who thirsts come. Whoever desires, let him take the water of life freely.” 

The White House was awe inspiring. 

Japan was other worldly. 

But Heaven? Oh my. 

“Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, Nor have entered into the heart of man The things which God has prepared for those who love Him” (1 Corinthians 2:9). 

I hope your holiday season is filled with grand and glorious invitations. Thanksgiving dinners, Christmas parties, and church celebrations. Holiday concerts, White Elephant gift exchanges, and cookie swaps. 

Say yes to them all. But don’t neglect the grandest invitation of all time. 

“Come!” 

If you’d like to accept this invitation and know more about how to have a relationship with Jesus Christ, click HERE to hear my story 

Now it's your turn. What's the greatest invitation you've ever received? I'd love to hear about it. Leave a comment below and share your thoughts. If you're reading by email, CLICK HERE to visit Hungry for God online and share your story. 

Dear Hungry for God friends,

I suspect there are quite a few busy women on your Christmas list. Friends, co-workers, fellow church members, and your children's teachers, Sunday school teachers, coaches, and babysitters, to name a few.

If you'd like to give them a gift that will draw them closer to the Lord, encourage them to spend time in God's Word, and think biblically, Hungry for God ... Starving for Time, Five-Minute Devotions for Busy Women is the gift you're looking for.

And what about those friends and loved ones who may not have a relationship with the Lord?

In the last devotion in the book, I share, in a winsome and non-threatening way, what it means to have a relationship with Jesus Christ.

If you give someone you care about a copy of HFG, you'll not only be passing along spiritual encouragement, you'll also be sharing the gospel. Either way, you could change someone's life forever.

And that's what Christmas is all about.




I'm excited to say
Hungry for God . . . Starving for Time has 114 reviews and a 4.8 star rating on Amazon. It received the Christian Small Publisher Book of the Year award in 2016.

If you live in the Columbia, South Carolina area, I'd love to autograph and personalize copies for your special friends. Email me at LoriAHatcher (at) gmail.com. Otherwise, I hope you'll click over to Amazon.












8 comments:

  1. My greatest invitation? The same as yours friend; drink and never thirst. :-) I love coming to His throne each day to be refilled and refreshed. God's blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the Living Water who satisfies every craving and fills us fuller than anything this world has to offer. Hallelujah. What a Savior!

      Delete
  2. So thankful for this invitation, Lori!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, yes, Jeannette. Me too. Happiest of happies to you this holiday season. Come!

      Delete
  3. Lovely blog post. We should be grateful for the freedom to worship as we wish. Truly a time of Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Jackie. The freedom to worship unmolested is a freedom we often take for granted. Believers in many other countries don't have this precious gift. May we give thanks every day.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous8:50 PM

    My parents started inviting us to events at both of their churches (after we moved closer), and we met a lot of great people! Including you and Pastor Hatcher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right you are, Robin. I'm so glad they did :) We love y'all!

      Delete

Did this devotion speak to you? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Leave a comment below and join the conversation.