Sunday

Caught Praying

As I turned into the fairground parking lot, a cute young woman wearing a reflective vest stopped me. “Parking is five dollars, ma’am.” I handed her the cash, and she glanced at the book lying on my passenger seat. 

“Are you reading that book because you’re praying for your children?” 


“I am.” 

“Do they know the Lord?” 

 “They do—now,” I replied. “I’ve been praying for them with a group of moms every month for eight years. Now I’m praying for my grandchildren, too.” 

“That’s really cool,” she said and waved me on. 

The book on my car seat was The Power of Praying for Your Adult Children by Stormie Omartian. I’ve dog-eared my copy, written notes in it, and highlighted meaningful passages. Every chapter ends with a prayer, and I’ve personalized each one for my daughters and sons-in-law. 

I’ve use this resource for almost a decade to guide and inspire my prayers for my adult children. It gives me hope by reminding me that God is even more interested in my children’s faith and wellbeing than I am.


Eight years ago I was a frightened, fretful mama about to send my baby girl off to college and my eldest daughter off to work in a busy, dangerous city. Because they’d be hundreds of miles away, I knew I’d have little influence or input in their daily lives. I wasn’t the only one in my circle of friends feeling anxious about sending their children off, so we formed a praying moms group. We’ve been meeting ever since. 

The morning of the fair I’d left our meeting early to meet my daughter and her children for a day of fun. To be honest, I’d thought about skipping prayer time, but my desire to see God’s power released in my children’s lives overrode my laziness. 

I never imagined God would use my commitment to touch someone outside my circle of influence. Or touch me in such a serendipitous way. God used that moment in the parking lot, a brief exchange between two women in very different stages of life, to encourage me to press on. I suspect it encouraged her as well. Who knows? Maybe she’ll become a praying mom one day. 

“And let us not grow weary while doing good,” Galatians 6:9 exhorts us, “for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart.” 

If you’re praying for your children and need inspiration, I recommend Stormie Omartian’s, Power of Praying series. If you haven’t made a regular commitment to pray for your kids yet, why not start today? You don’t have to organize a group (although the Lord may lead you to). You could begin by committing to pray once a day for 30 days. 

My friend, mentor, and agent, Bob Hostetler, has created a wonderful resource called “30 Day Praying for Your Children Challenge.” Available in a printable PDF to keep by your bedside or tape to your refrigerator, it’s loaded with promises to claim on behalf of your kids. 

This week God reminded me, in a most unlikely place, that when I make the effort to pray, he uses my prayers in ways I could never imagine. 

 I wonder how God wants to use your prayers today? 

Now it's your turn. When was the last time you saw unexpected things happen as a result of your prayers? Leave a comment below and share your story. If you're reading by email, click HERE to visit Hungry for God online and leave a comment.


Are you hungry for God, but starving for time? 
I’d love to send you a 5-minute e-mail devotion twice a week to start your day off with the Lord. 

Sign up for a free subscription to Hungry for God by CLICKING HERE.
Then, be sure to VALIDATE the confirmation email you receive. 

Note: I promise never to spam you or share your email address.

Because busy women need to connect with God in the craziness of everyday life.






4 comments:

  1. I love how God is always listening and hearing our prayers. His answer might not be the one I was expecting, but I am thankful to know His plan is always best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, too, find great comfort in that thought, Melissa. So glad we don't have to figure it all out. WE just have to cry out to him, and he does the rest. Blessings to you!

      Delete
  2. God is always just a prayer away isn't He Ms. Lori. He's there with us always, but I love that as soon as I bow my head, He leans in, places His mighty hand on my shoulder, and joins me there. As for prayer surprises, I think the best is this. I maintain a Prayer List on my computer (OCD as I am, it's alphabetized and sortable of course). During my "God time" each morning, I purposely turn off social media feeds, email, my phone, etc. I do use my computer to view my Prayer List when that time comes. I'll always remember receiving an email with miraculous news from a friend, that was timestamped moments before I prayed for their need. "Yes Virginia, there is a God and He loves to care for His children." Best prayer surprise I've ever had.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen to this, Lori! I love how God uses all things for good in so many different ways!

    ReplyDelete

Did this devotion speak to you? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Leave a comment below and join the conversation.