Sunday

Why You Are Where You Are

Last year I visited Downtown Baptist Church in Alexandria, Virginia. To be honest, what attracted me to the church wasn’t its sanctuary (although it’s lovely) or the upcoming sermon topic (the Apostles’ Creed). It was the sign that stood like a sentinel near the entrance to the church’s parking lot. Church Parking Only, it said. Violators will be baptized. 

When I mentioned the sign to my daughter, who lives nearby, she said, “Oh yeah. We’ve visited there before. It’s a good church.” So that’s where I went for Sunday worship. 

I appreciated the church’s tongue-in-cheek, somewhat snarky humor. The church was laughing at itself, and that’s a good thing. We’d all be happier if we'd laugh more. 


The pastor, Phil Faig, said something more profound than the church's clever parking lot sign. His words continued to resonate with me long after I drove my legally-parked, non-baptized car from their parking lot: 

“Our jobs are our platforms to do missions in the world around us.” 

Consider this for a minute. 

Our jobs (think beyond what we do to earn money, although this is part of it. Think about the circumstances and situations in which we find ourselves in our everyday lives) are our platforms to do missions in the world around us. 

Many of us assume our jobs are our first priority. Then, once our work is done, if we have time (energy, money, desire) left over, we squeeze in a little Jesus. Like the butter beans we forgot in the microwave until dinner was almost over. 

But Pastor Phil’s sermon makes me think perhaps we’ve got it backwards. 

That maybe we need to look at life like this instead: 

I work at __________(fill in the blank) because this is the best platform to help others around me see Jesus. 

I’m in the ____________ (doctor’s office, grocery store, class room, drive through) because this is the best platform to help someone here know God better. 

I am where I am because this is the best platform to fulfill God’s command to share Christ with those I encounter. 

This perspective could revolutionize our daily living. 

What if I live in my neighborhood/apartment/dorm because it best positions me to do missions? 

What if I’m eating in this particular restaurant being served by this particular waitress because it best positions me to do missions? 

What if I’m in this traffic jam because it best positions me to do missions to the drivers around me? 

What if I’m on this plane/bus/train/sidewalk because it best positions me to do missions to the people I encounter? 

When I adopt this perspective, I find myself seeing – really seeing – the people around me. Not as inconveniences, hindrances, distractions, or (worse) invisible, but as people with eternal souls that God wants to minister to – through me. 

That kind woman who noticed my backpack was unzipped in the boarding line at the airport? Maybe God had positioned me in front of her (and across the aisle on the plane) so I could do missions in her life. So instead of plugging in my ear buds and zoning out, I smiled and asked her where she was going. 

“To Hartford. To visit my family and interview for a graduate program,” she said. We didn’t talk long, but as we gathered our luggage and prepared to part, I handed her my ministry card. 

“I’ll say a special prayer for your interview,” I said, and I did. 

The aesthetician who coached me through my first ever head and foot massage (a birthday gift from my daughter and son-in-law)? Perhaps the purpose of this special treat wasn’t just to bless me. Maybe God was positioning me to do missions in this woman’s life. 

“Sometimes when I’m quiet and relaxed,” I told her. “I pray. Is there anything I can pray for you about?” Her answer told me volumes (and gave me lots to pray about while she rubbed my feet with orange-scented oil). 

That challenging child/adult/parent/customer/patient? Maybe God has positioned me in their life to do the mission he’s called me to do as a disciple of Christ. 

How often do we see our work, our circumstances, our responsibilities, and our recreation as separate from our spiritual callings? What if, instead, we realized one enables the other? 

Imagine the possibilities. 

Now it’s your turn. How has your work, circumstances, or responsibilities positioned you to do God’s mission in the lives of those around you? Leave a comment below and share your story. IF you’re reading by email, CLICK HERE to visit Hungry for God online and join the conversation.





Does Your Faith Need Refreshing?

Did you make a commitment to read the Bible this year, but now you're struggling? 

Do you need a resource to take you through each book of the Bible?

That's in the Bible? I've never noticed that before!

It's probably been too long since you've newly discovered a story that speaks to your soul or a verse that pops with truth. But that's about to change!



Refresh Your Faith contains 66 culturally relevant, story-driven devotions, one from each book of the Bible. Each real-life story spotlights an unusual verse or Bible passage that you may have overlooked in your usual Bible reading. Lori Hatcher challenges you with additional features like an uncommon thought to ponder; an unusual faith action step; and an unfamiliar passage suggestion for additional Bible reading.

When the fabulous has become familiar and your quiet times are more like nap times, it's time to step out of spiritual boredom and ignite the spark that will keep you growing. No matter where you are on your faith journey, Lori's conversational and engaging style will challenge you to think about things you've never thought about before.

“Real-life inspiration and candid wit. These 5-minute devotions will change your life.” —Psychologist and best-selling author Dr. Kevin Leman, commenting on Lori Hatcher's devotional style




Are you hungry for God, but starving for time? 
I’d love to send you a 5-minute e-mail devotion twice a week to start your day off with the Lord. 

Sign up for a free subscription to Hungry for God by CLICKING HERE.

Then, be sure to VALIDATE the confirmation email you receive. 

Note: I promise never to spam you or share your email address.


Because busy women need to connect with God in the craziness of everyday life.



12 comments:

  1. This post truly inspires me! Sometimes I view my everyday routine as mundane & unimportant. My husband & I are semi-empty nesters with our daughter's family with us every weekend (son-in-law is combat wounded). Sometimes I wonder how God could possibly use my everyday, boring routine which repeats weekly. But your post has helped me see that it is in the everyday routine that I have the opportunity to bring some Jesus into someone's day. Thank you for your words! Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Susan, I hear your heart. Oh, how the Lord turns the mundane into marvelous when we serve in his name. I'm honored to have brought perspective into your precious service to your family. May God richly bless you as you see to serve him by serving others. Blessings to you, friend!

      Delete
  2. My husband and I never planned to move from VA to SC. But when son and daughter-in-law asked us to move and live near them in SC, of course we said yes. Moving can be stressful at any time. My husband and I decided to have the outlook of "bloom where we are planted". We have found a wonderful church, great new friends and still keep in touch with family and friends in VA. We are blessed to serve in church and community. We will show God's love wherever we land. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, yes, Melissa, I know that stress well. We, too, moved to be closer to our daughter with young children. I can't think of a better way to invest our lives than to pay it forward into the next generation. Blessings to you, and welcome to the South!

      Delete
  3. Thanks Lori, you've given me some things to ponder, and some new ideas regarding prayer. You are appreciated! ~ Abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Abby, I'm so glad. Just a few days ago, as I was caring for one of my dental patients, it occurred to me to pray for her. I did that for every patient that day, trusting that God had brought them into our office not only because they needed dental care, but perhaps spiritual care as well. Keep shining the light, friend!

      Delete
  4. I'd never thought of my daily comings and goings in this way. If I had this perspective, how many more people could I minister to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen and amen. May God open your eyes as you carry his light into the world around you. Sending a hug your way today.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous10:57 PM

    Thank you for this very timely message. I have recently come to a crossroads with my current job. I moved across country for the job, and now a little over a year later, am looking for new one. It will mean another big move. There is alot of stress and I keep thinking "how did I wind up here." After reading your article, I see now the question should be "why did I wind up here?" Thank you very much for this and for all of your good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Absolutely. I am saying a special prayer right now that the Lord will reveal to you exactly why you've been placed there. And what he has in mind for the next adventure. May he open your eyes to the ministry around you as you seek to follow him!

      Delete
  6. Amen! So spot on Ms. Lori. Our "job" as Christian's is to be an ambassador for Christ and carry His gospel message with us everywhere He takes/places us. Be that job, checkout line, or home, we must remember Who we represent. Loved this post ma'am.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lori, I will print this post and keep it in my quiet time area to review each Monday. Then, I’ll ask God to open my eyes to see the opportunities He places before me. When I’m speaking with a cashier, a neighbor, or a friend, God often inserts Himself into the conversation which gives my heart a smile.

    ReplyDelete

Did this devotion speak to you? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Leave a comment below and join the conversation.