Sunday

What Kind of Spy Are You? How Faith Changes Everything

 


How do you react when an opportunity comes your way that you feel is over your head? When a task or assignment arrives that requires skills you haven’t mastered? Perseverance you don’t have? Or courage you don’t possess? 

Many of us say no. 

Teach that Sunday school class? Oh no, I haven’t had formal training. 

Share my testimony with that group? Nope. I’m not a public speaker. 

 Accept that job/position/assignment? Not me. Other people are far more qualified. 

And what about the tasks we can’t refuse but still doubt our ability to accomplish? Caring for a seriously ill family member, raising children (or grandchildren) in this troubled world, persevering despite overwhelming odds. 

Twelve men faced a similar scenario many years ago. 

Twelve men went to spy on Canaan, the children's church song goes. Ten were bad and two were good. What do you think they saw in Canaan? Ten were bad and two were good. 

Appointed to scout out the land God had promised to Israel, the spies came back with a mixed report (Numbers 13). The land was everything God promised—filled with lush gardens and well-established cities. And the food! After forty years of manna-everything, the prospect of milk, honey, grapes, and grain made the spies’ mouths water in anticipation. 

But the Promised Land held more than grapes and gardens. It held giants. 

“The people are powerful, and the cites are very large,” the spies reported, terrifying the Israelites with their exaggerated description. 

“We should go up and take possession of the land,” Caleb declared, “for we can certainly do it.” 

“Are you crazy?” the others said. “Didn’t you hear what we just said? We can't attack those people; they’re stronger than we are” (v. 30-31). 

We face the same choice the spies did when we encounter an “impossible” task. Will we look at the circumstances or look at God’s calling? 

Remember, God had already promised to give the Promised Land to the Israelites. If He called them to it, He’d provide what they needed to conquer it. 

The same is true for us. 

Has He called you to an impossible task? Something too big for you to accomplish in your own strength, ability, or training? 

Then you’re right where He wants you to be—poised to show the world what God can do through someone who fully relies on Him. 

God calls us to impossible tasks so He'll get the glory. 

Remember, God didn’t send the spies into Canaan to assess whether they could conquer the land. God had already declared they would conquer the land. He sent them in to gather information so they could prepare. 

The inhabitants are big? Better sharpen those arrows. 

The walls are high? Time to practice mountain climbing. 

The armies are strong? Back to the gym for a few more pushups. 

Relying on God doesn’t mean we sit back and do nothing. It means that when we have prepared to the best of our ability, we march forward, resting in what He promises to do in us and through us. 

What This Looks Like in My Life

Last summer I received a contract to write a book on prayer. My mind was excited, but my heart quaked in fear. 

Stormie O’Martian, Tim Keller, and Max Lucado write books on prayer, I thought, not Lori Hatcher. 

What do I have to say that hasn’t already been said? And said better? 

How can I write a book in six months? I’ve never done that before. 

And furthermore (don’t you hate it when someone says, “And furthermore”?) I’m not theologically trained. I’ve never been to seminary, and this is an important topic. 

These words were true. So was the report the spies brought back. The giants were big and the cities were strong. 

But God had called the Israelites to conquer the land. 

And God called me to write a book on prayer. 

So I did what Caleb the good spy did. I countered fearful truth with faith-filled truth. 

God didn’t call Stormie O’Martian, Tim Keller, or Max Lucado to write this book on prayer. 

For reasons known only to Him, He has called me. 

If God has given me a contract with a six-month deadline, then He’ll enable me to meet that deadline. 

Education is important, but dedication is equally important. I’ve spent the last twenty years of my life studying and practicing the discipline of prayer. The Holy Spirit has been my teacher, and I can trust Him to direct and inspire my writing.

On August 25, I signed a contract with Our Daily Bread Publishing to write Refresh Your Prayers: Uncommon Devotions to Restore Power and Praise

Three months later (not six, or nine, or twelve), I submitted the manuscript. 

Lord willing, Refresh Your Prayers will release in early 2022, and God gets the glory. 

What impossible task has God called you to do? What opportunity, ministry, or life circumstance has God allowed to elbow its way into your life? If He’s called you to it, He will give you what you need to accomplish it. 

A plague destroyed ten bad spies for their unbelief. An entire generation wandered in the wilderness for forty years because they were afraid to trust God to enable them to do what He’d called them to do. 

Two good spies received God’s blessing and entered the Promise Land. 

What kind of spy are you?



 
Does Your Faith Need Refreshing?

Did you make a commitment to read the Bible this year, but now you're struggling? 

Do you need a resource to take you through each book of the Bible?

That's in the Bible? I've never noticed that before!

It's probably been too long since you've newly discovered a story that speaks to your soul or a verse that pops with truth. But that's about to change!



Refresh Your Faith contains 66 culturally relevant, story-driven devotions, one from each book of the Bible. Each real-life story spotlights an unusual verse or Bible passage that you may have overlooked in your usual Bible reading. Lori Hatcher challenges you with additional features like an uncommon thought to ponder; an unusual faith action step; and an unfamiliar passage suggestion for additional Bible reading.

When the fabulous has become familiar and your quiet times are more like nap times, it's time to step out of spiritual boredom and ignite the spark that will keep you growing. No matter where you are on your faith journey, Lori's conversational and engaging style will challenge you to think about things you've never thought about before.

“Real-life inspiration and candid wit. These 5-minute devotions will change your life.” —Psychologist and best-selling author Dr. Kevin Leman, commenting on Lori Hatcher's devotional style




Are you hungry for God, but starving for time? 
I’d love to send you a 5-minute e-mail devotion twice a week to start your day off with the Lord. 

Sign up for a free subscription to Hungry for God by CLICKING HERE.

Then, be sure to VALIDATE the confirmation email you receive. 

Note: I promise never to spam you or share your email address.


Because busy women need to connect with God in the craziness of everyday life.







3 comments:

  1. I like to think myself to be that "obedient disciple" who always responds to God's leading with "If He leads me to it, He'll lead me through it!" spirit of adventure and delight. I realize, that's not always who I am. I'm the frightened little nobody who doesn't have the education, platform/audience, personal magnetism, enlightened visionary, or skill to accomplish it. Of course, that's because my human-self defaults to thinking I have to do this by myself. I think this is where the term "learning to lean" comes into play. If I'm truly be led to something by God, then my faith tells me to trust that He will equip me to accomplish His goal for my life. Amen Ms. Lori. Well said ma'am; a very poignant question for us indeed today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right, J.D. How much easier it is to obey when we take our eyes off the giants and put them on the Lord. Press on, friend!

      Delete
  2. I try to remember to work as if working for the Lord! If I remember this then I find that I don't get so caught up in the drama that comes with life stuff and it helps to keep me focused on my purpose. Thanks for the reminder Lori.

    ReplyDelete

Did this devotion speak to you? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Leave a comment below and join the conversation.