Monday

4 Steps When Life Gets Hard



Betrayed, persecuted, grieving, uncertain, confused, abused, afraid, and struggling. 

Can you identify with any of these words? Most of us can, especially these days. 

Life is a struggle, and most days we feel the angst of living in a difficult world, with difficult people, under difficult circumstances. Throw a pandemic, societal unrest, and economic hardship in the mix, and you've got a formula for a major panic attack.

I think this is why God includes stories about real people in the Bible. Reading other people’s stories, the good, the bad, and the ugly, gives us perspective and, most important, hope. 

King David was a man who experienced just about everything life can throw at someone. His memoir includes a humble beginning and an exalted ending. He came to faith early, and God used him in mighty ways to lead the nation of Israel. He also disappointed God greatly and lived much of his life with the consequences of his sin. 

The book of Psalms records many of his soul-searching, gut-wrenching conversations with God. Psalm 71 is one of them. Listen to David’s cry: 

“O Lord, I have come to you for protection; don’t let me be disgraced. Save me and rescue me, for you do what is right. . . . in my old age, don’t set me aside. Don’t abandon me when my strength is failing. For my enemies are whispering against me. They are plotting together to kill me. They say, ‘God has abandoned him. Let’s go and get him, for no one will help him now’” (v 1,2, 9-11 NLT). 

His example reminds us that it’s OK to pour out our hearts to God when we are distressed. But Psalm 71 isn’t just a lament and cry for help. It’s a prescription for how to weather difficult circumstances. 


Listen to David’s 4-step plan as outlined in verses 13-17: 

1. Don’t lose hope. David expresses his commitment to trust God: “But I will keep on hoping for your help.” No matter what happens, we must never stop believing that God hears and answers our prayers. 

2. Don’t stop praising God. “I will praise you more and more,” he says. “I will tell everyone about your righteousness. All day long I will proclaim your saving power.” Praising God reminds ourselves and others that God is good, even when our circumstances are not. 

3. Don’t forget what God has done. “I will praise your mighty deeds, O Sovereign Lord.” Reflect on the many ways he has worked in the lives of faithful men, and remember how he has worked in your own life. God’s long history of faithful care for his children strengthens our faith, because we know God is the same yesterday, today, and forever. 

4. Don’t stop sharing your faith with others. “I will tell everyone that you alone are just.” Sometimes when difficult circumstances enter our lives, we’re tempted to slander God with our words or our lack of faith. We must resist, choosing instead to take a faith stand and continue to testify of God’s goodness, no matter what. 

If you’re betrayed, persecuted, grieving, uncertain, confused, abused, or struggling, King David’s four-step plan for weathering difficult circumstances is powerful and effective. 

My prayer for you is that you will soon be able to testify, as David did, “You who have done great things; O God, who is like You? You, who have shown me great and severe troubles, shall revive me again, and bring me up again from the depths of the earth. You shall increase my greatness, and comfort me on every side” (v 19-21). 

What about you? When you struggle, which examples from Scripture give you hope? Leave a comment below and share your thoughts. If you’re reading via email, click here to visit Hungry for God online, scroll down to the end of the post, and leave a comment.






Does Your Faith Need Refreshing?

That's in the Bible? I've never noticed that before!

It's probably been too long since you've newly discovered a story that speaks to your soul or a verse that pops with truth. But that's about to change!



Refresh Your Faith contains 66 culturally relevant, story-driven devotions, one from each book of the Bible. Each real-life story spotlights an unusual verse or Bible passage that you may have overlooked in your usual Bible reading. Lori Hatcher challenges you with additional features like an uncommon thought to ponder; an unusual faith action step; and an unfamiliar passage suggestion for additional Bible reading.

When the fabulous has become familiar and your quiet times are more like nap times, it's time to step out of spiritual boredom and ignite the spark that will keep you growing. No matter where you are on your faith journey, Lori's conversational and engaging style will challenge you to think about things you've never thought about before.

“Real-life inspiration and candid wit. These 5-minute devotions will change your life.” —Psychologist and best-selling author Dr. Kevin Leman, commenting on Lori Hatcher's devotional style




Are you hungry for God, but starving for time? 
I’d love to send you a 5-minute e-mail devotion twice a week to start your day off with the Lord. 

Sign up for a free subscription to Hungry for God by CLICKING HERE.

Then, be sure to VALIDATE the confirmation email you receive. 

Note: I promise never to spam you or share your email address.


Because busy women need to connect with God in the craziness of everyday life.




9 comments:

  1. Thanks, Lori, for the encouragement and reminder that God is sufficient. God gave me the words "Choose Joy" this year. When my world seemed to be crumbling around me, it proved to be a difficult task to choose joy. But, I think I would have suffered total despair if I had not already been committed to choosing joy. I have learned the power of a thankful heart in the midst of despair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen,
    I love how God prepared you for the difficult year ahead of you by giving you such powerful instructions. I know he is glorifying himself through your decision to choose joy despite such challenging life events. Thanks so much for sharing your faith-inspiring example with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori, the four steps from David’s life are powerful. I like this sentence: “Praising God reminds ourselves and others that God is good, even when our circumstances are not.” Psalm 77:19-21 is comforting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard, Jeannie, to separate the difficulty of our circumstances from the character of God. But praise helps me acknowledge that life doesn't have to be easy for God still to be good. Thanks for stopping by today :)

      Delete
  4. God doesn't call us to be perfect, He calls us to change. Well said author!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm so glad this is true, J.D. Every day! Blessings to you, friend!

      Delete
  5. Amen. Sharing time with God brings us to a closer relationship with Him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen, amen! Love this, especially: "it’s OK to pour out our hearts to God when we are distressed. But Psalm 71 isn’t just a lament and cry for help. It’s a prescription for how to weather difficult circumstances." It really is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1:47 PM

    Thanks Lori, for today's uplifting message. I've been struggling a lot with anxiety and your message gave me hope. May God bless you and your ministry!

    ReplyDelete

Did this devotion speak to you? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Leave a comment below and join the conversation.