Monday

Surviving and Thriving During COVID-19

During one Fun Friday at Gigi's house, we played in a pool of spaghetti!

Greetings, friends, 

It’s hard to believe almost six months have passed since COVID-19 went from being a far away news blip to a force that has totally disrupted our lives. 

Hanging out with Mom and Dad. Aren't they cute?
Many continue to shelter at home. Others have resumed a sterilized and anemic version of their normal routine. Still others are working at home, homeschooling your children, or caring for your elderly and high risk family members. 


Over the past six months, we’ve gained a whole new vocabulary. Words that used to be limited to microbiology textbooks and healthcare practicums have become every day vernacular. Antibodies, PPE, herd immunity, cross-contamination. Grocery stores look like a cross between a bank robbers convention and a surgical team. Someone could make off with thousands of dollars from the till and no one would be able to give a physical description. “Uh, well, he was a tall guy wearing a mask . . .” 


My family and I are well. Every week when I suit up in my twelve layers of PPE to care for the dental patients in our practice, I pray three things: “Lord, keep me safe. Keep my patients safe. Help me minister to them in Jesus’ name.” When my husband and I aren’t working, we help care for the grandkids and assist my parents who are sheltering at home. 

At our small church, where my husband is the bi-vocational pastor, we’ve settled into a hybrid of in-person, Zoom, and Facebook Live “gatherings.” We’re ministering to those who want to meet in person, those who prefer not to at this time, and those whose health doesn’t allow them to attend. It stretches and challenges us. We don’t have a team of sound, computer, and video guys. Just Hubby and me. Thank the Lord we can Google what we don’t know. 

How are you? I hope you and your loved ones are well. That you’re embracing faith over fear. That you’re looking for ways to minister in Jesus’ name despite the challenges. 

I pray you’re using this time to draw closer to God and to each other. To value what you once took for granted (church services, gathering with friends, Clorox Wipes). To explore hobbies and projects you’ve always wanted to do but didn’t have time to do them. 

I pray for you often, the Hungry for God family. For your health, your safety, your sanity, and, most of all, your spiritual life. I ask God to help your soul to prosper and to give you opportunities to sow faith into the lives of those around you. 

God has a good plan for these uncertain times. Rest assured, His plans will not be thwarted. Even now, He is drawing people to Himself and making us more like Jesus. 

Now, may I share some happy news? 

You may recall that my third book, Refresh Your Faith, Uncommon Devotions from Every Book of the Bible, released in April in the middle of the pandemic. I wouldn’t have chosen that launch date, but God had a plan that was wiser than mine. Reader after reader has said, “I don’t know when you wrote this, but it’s perfect for what we’re dealing with right now.” Reviewers have used the words hope-filled, timely, relevant, and inspiring. 

If you’ve read a copy of Refresh Your Faith, would you be so kind as to leave a review on Amazon? When a book reaches 100 reviews, Amazon begins to promote it. Currently I have 84 honest reviews – only 16 more to go. Woohoo! Then I can help more people refresh their faith and fall in love with God’s Word. 

If you haven’t read a copy, why not hop over to Amazon (CLICK HERE) and read what others are saying about it? If you like what you read, order a copy for yourself and one for a friend. 

And finally, may I share some exciting news? 

I’m working on a new book! A companion book to Refresh Your Faith. Its working title is Refresh Your Prayers, Uncommon Devotions to Unlock Power and Praise

Here’s a description: 

We know Bible reading and prayer are vital parts of our faith, but what happens when our prayer lives become stagnant and our quiet times grow stale? We need something more than just familiar verses and the command to pray. 

In Refresh Your Prayers, Uncommon Devotions to Unlock Power and Praise, we'll enjoy relevant, five-minute devotions that spotlight unusual prayer verses in the Bible. Each devotion ends with either a Power Point, a spiritual truth to empower your faith; or a Praise Prompt, a short prayer designed to magnify God and make your faith soar. The Live It Out section challenges you to apply what you’ve learned right now for immediate change. 

But I need your help: 

Would you hit Reply and share some of your questions about the exciting and mysterious process of prayer? What have you always wondered about? What do you struggle to understand? What do you wish you knew more about in regards to prayer? I can’t promise to have all the answers, but I’d love to join you on the journey of exploration. 

Thanks for reading every week, leaving comments, and allowing me to be part of your faith life. And remember: leave your review of Refresh Your Faith and share your questions about prayer in the comment box below. 

I love you all. 

Stay safe. Keep your eyes on Jesus. 

Love, 

Lori



Does Your Faith Need Refreshing?

That's in the Bible? I've never noticed that before!

It's probably been too long since you've newly discovered a story that speaks to your soul or a verse that pops with truth. But that's about to change!



Refresh Your Faith contains 66 culturally relevant, story-driven devotions, one from each book of the Bible. Each real-life story spotlights an unusual verse or Bible passage that you may have overlooked in your usual Bible reading. Lori Hatcher challenges you with additional features like an uncommon thought to ponder; an unusual faith action step; and an unfamiliar passage suggestion for additional Bible reading.

When the fabulous has become familiar and your quiet times are more like nap times, it's time to step out of spiritual boredom and ignite the spark that will keep you growing. No matter where you are on your faith journey, Lori's conversational and engaging style will challenge you to think about things you've never thought about before.

“Real-life inspiration and candid wit. These 5-minute devotions will change your life.” —Psychologist and best-selling author Dr. Kevin Leman, commenting on Lori Hatcher's devotional style




Are you hungry for God, but starving for time? 
I’d love to send you a 5-minute e-mail devotion twice a week to start your day off with the Lord. 

Sign up for a free subscription to Hungry for God by CLICKING HERE.

Then, be sure to VALIDATE the confirmation email you receive. 

Note: I promise never to spam you or share your email address.


Because busy women need to connect with God in the craziness of everyday life.




2 comments:

  1. Am growing weary, and definitely tired, of COVID-19 and the fear it continues to foster. I am convinced the greatest damage is from the fear, division, and distrust it's created. Here in rural TX, life on the ranch really hasn't changed that much. It's when we have to go shopping, or not go to worship services in our sanctuary, that the impact is felt. I'll wear a mask to shop; not because it's valuable, but because I respect those fearful people who are so afraid and hold onto this life so tightly. I don't like the government's attempt to mandate compliance, but am trying to grow in gentleness and self-control during these trying times.

    As to your question about prayer, I guess mine would be "What are some ways to break the cycle of ineffective prayer?" What I mean here is that there are times in my life when my prayers seem to bounce off the ceiling and return void. It isn't that God isn't listening as much as it's that I'm not where I need to be in my life that God will honor my request. In other words, ineffective prayers are my problem to fix, not something that God isn't doing. How can folks repair that relationship beyond 1 John 1:9?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J.D. I share your desire to move past this "long pause" in our lives. I struggle to see the good (it's there) that has come from it and to count my blessings. I know too well the frustration of praying prayers that seem to bounce back instead of waft heavenward. I'll prayerfully add this matter to my list of prayer-related topics to bring before the Lord and seek His insight. Thanks for chiming in, friend.

      Delete

Did this devotion speak to you? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Leave a comment below and join the conversation.