Monday

Don't Pray Unless You Want God to Answer -- How God Spoke in the Middle of an Argument

When I went to bed the other night, I knew who was right—I was. 

When I awakened the next morning, I wasn’t so sure. 

The conversation went over the cliff before I even realized it had changed direction. One minute my husband and I were brainstorming ways to fix a problem, and the next minute we were exchanging angry words. He stomped off to bed, and I stayed up and stewed. 

Horizontal or vertical, I’m confident we were both rehearsing how right we were and how wrong the other was. 

Why didn’t she just look up the information when I asked her to? She doesn’t listen, just goes off and does what she wants to do without listening to me. 

Why couldn’t he just wait patiently? I was on to something. Just a few more clicks, and I’d have had the information we needed. 

I considered sleeping in the guest bedroom, but wasn’t willing to give up my comfy bed to make a point. But you’d better believe I stayed waaaaay over on my side when I did come to bed.

Lord, I prayed silently as I clung to the edge of the mattress, pride is an ugly thing. Please help him realize he was wrong, and make him apologize for his unkind words. I don’t want us to spend tomorrow at odds with each other. Then I finished with a sincere but skeptical request: And if I was at fault in any way, please reveal this to me. Amen. 

The next morning, the strangest thing happened. When the alarm sounded on my iPhone, I heard God’s voice. And it didn't sound like Siri.

I’ve always loved the story in 1 Samuel 3, where God awakened the boy Samuel out of a sound sleep by audibly calling his name. But that’s not what happened to me. Instead, God spoke two sentences into my barely-awake consciousness: I’m sorry I was slow to look up the information you asked for. Will you please forgive me? 

As the words echoed in my mind, I knew the Lord had given me the words to speak. How did I know? 

First, the words were true. While I wasn’t totally at fault in the argument, I did have a part in it. 

Second, the words were a direct answer to the prayer I’d prayed before I fell asleep. 

Third, the words did not originate with me. When I’d gone to bed the night before, I was still convinced that I was all right, and he was all wrong. Those two sentences had to have come from God. 

Fourth, to say those words to my husband, I’d have to humble myself and take the first step toward reconciliation. Since this was the last thing my sinful flesh wanted to do, I was confident it was God’s idea, not mine.  

Once I realized I’d heard from God, I knew I had two choices: obey or disobey. 

“Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins,” (Jas. 4:17). 

I’d like to say I always obey, but I’d be lying. That day, however, I did what the Lord told me to do. As soon as my husband opened his eyes, I said the words God had planted into my brain. 

“I’m sorry I was slow to look up the information you asked for. Will you forgive me?” 

“I’m sorry I was grumpy with you. I was sleepy and impatient.” 

Kiss. Kiss. Hug. Hug. All was well again. 

Not all our arguments end so peacefully. Sometimes I hold on to my stubborn, sinful, self-righteousness and refuse to invite God into the strife. I fail to ask God to show me where I was wrong and focus instead on someone else’s sin or my own perceived innocence. 

But when I do pray and ask God to glorify himself, even in our arguments, I give him permission to work. Sometimes he speaks to me through his Word, sometimes through wise counsel, and sometimes, if I’m willing to listen, he speaks through the still, small voice of his Holy Spirit. 

If you’re in the middle of a conflict with someone, I invite you to pray about it. Watch to see how he answers. Be quick to obey what he tells you to do. You won’t regret it. 

What about you? How has the Lord spoken to you during times of conflict? I’d love to hear your story. Leave a comment below, or, if you’re reading by email, click HERE to visit Hungry for God online, scroll to the end of the post, and leave a comment there.






HOT OFF THE PRESS: FREE Bible Study Guide and Small Group Discussion Questions! Did you know there is a FREE Bible study guide and discussion questions to accompany the Hungry for God...Starving for Time devotional? Click HERE to download your copy. Now you'll have everything you need to use Hungry for God as the basis for your next small group Bible study. 




Are you hungry for God, but starving for time? 
I’d love to send you a 5-minute e-mail devotion twice a week to start your day off with the Lord. 

Sign up for a free subscription to Hungry for God by CLICKING HERE.

Then, be sure to VALIDATE the confirmation email you receive. 

Note: I promise never to spam you or share your email address.



Because busy women need to connect with God in the craziness of everyday life.



9 comments:

  1. Lori I just love you! God uses you in such wonderful ways with your daily life situations, and it is such a joy to know you and your ministry. Thank you for all you do to communicate God's Word. You are a blessing to so many!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sweet friend. Sending a hug today!

      Delete
  2. Lori, thank you for sharing this post. It's interesting how we can think we're RIGHT and others are WRONG. God does have a way of clarifying things in all types of relationships.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, He does, Kim. With amazing accuracy. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Amen Ms. Lori. I think we all allow the pride of life to get in our way sometimes. Especially when we're in the middle of a debate (read argument here) with someone we love. I used to have a sign hanging in my office that read "I can afford to be close-minded, I'm right!" Sadly, there are still times in my life that I adhere to that untruth. Worse, I think, is when I catch/take that attitude with a loved one. Isn't it amazing though how prayer often leads us to the right mindset needed to reconcile; sometimes even when we don't feel we need to. :-) God's blessings ma'am. Thank you for assuring me I am not alone in this struggle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, there you go using that "P" word, J.D. And since God promises to resist the proud, I don't want to take that approach. THankfully, God is gracious enough not to allow us to continue on in our sin. Thanks for joining in the conversation.

      Delete
  4. This reminded me of another "don't pray unless..." story I once read.. not of conflict, just this: During a draught in Nebraska some townspeople gathered in their church to pray for rain. The only person to show up with an umbrella was a little girl, six years old.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lori, this message on the sinful attitude of pride reminded me of another time, that I too, needed to be humbled because I was WRONG. I didn't feel right about the words or the angst I chose to make a point. Sought Godly counsel. Apologized. All was right with my relationship. Smiles and hugs afterwards!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha Lori in reading this devotion I thought I was reading my own story!!! Not laughing because it’s funny but I was comforted that I’m not alone. Jesus when He was going to the cross was spit on, His beard pulled and beaten to be an unrecognizable man ... yet His mouth did not open. I have been reading Isaiah 53 often because to often I feel right and justified. Even if I am (which most of the time I’m not ... I always have a part) I am not justified by my behavior. Thank God He doesn’t give up on us❤️Thank you for your writing! I’m new at reading your devotions and God has really spoken to me through you so thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Did this devotion speak to you? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Leave a comment below and join the conversation.