Sunday

The Quiche that Makes Friends (Recipe Included)














If I asked you for five well-loved recipes that have been part of your family for years, what would you list?
Grandma’s pot roast? Aunt Nenie’s jello salad? Cousin Jane’s chocolate gravy and biscuits? My list would include Linnea’s Baked Beans, Mom’s Potato Salad, and several crock pot staples: Cranberry Chicken, No-Peekie Stew, and Spicy Beef Dip. 


One recipe in my file, however, has done more than feed my hungry family. It’s helped me make friends. I call it Lori’s Quiche. 

I discovered the magic of Lori’s Quiche decades ago when I wanted to invite a new gal I’d met at church over for lunch. I was in the throes of mothering young children, and a normal lunch usually consisted of PB&J or mac and cheese. Not wanting to serve either to my (hopefully) new friend, I leafed through my collection of recipes looking for something nicer. 

To further complicate matters, it was the day before pay day. A run to the grocery store to pick up unusual ingredients was out of the question. I’d have to pull something together with items from my fridge and pantry. That’s when I remembered the quiche recipe I’d scribbled down. 

It wasn’t called Lori’s Quiche then. That came later. As I scanned the list of ingredients, I realized I had everything I needed to throw it together. Eggs, milk, flour, cheese, mayonnaise, and a frozen pie crust. 

That day I made a broccoli and cheddar quiche. My new friend loved it. A young mom herself, she was thrilled to have something hot, savory, and adult. In the years since, I’ve tried a dozen variations—ham, veggie, shrimp, seafood. I’ve even made a Mexican version with hamburger and tomatoes. 


Because the recipe calls for mayonnaise instead of heavy cream like most quiches, I don’t have to plan ahead to make it. I can pull staples from my fridge and have it in the oven in less than 15 minutes. It’s perfect for the spur of the moment opportunity to extend hospitality, take a meal to a sick neighbor, or bring a dish to a luncheon or potluck. 

It even freezes beautifully. Many times I’ll make two. We eat one and stick the other in the freezer, ready and waiting for the next outreach opportunity. 

Since its debut with the gal from church, Lori’s quiche has opened the door to many other friendships. About ten years ago a lady who’d been visiting our Sunday school class had knee surgery. I offered to bring lunch. My quiche and the accompanying visit launched a friendship we continue to enjoy today. 

I’ve served my quiche at ladies’ brunches, baby showers, and church potlucks. I’ve delivered it to new mothers and sick neighbors. As I type this post, I’m looking forward to having lunch with a neighbor who’s recovering from cancer treatment. She’s been the willing guinea pig for several variations. 

One day I invited her over for lunch and realized I’d used the last frozen pie crust and hadn’t replaced it. Since I’d already promised to make quiche, I tried yet another variation—crustless quiche. I combined the ingredients, sprayed a generous coating of Pam on a pie plate, and poured it in. The result was a delicious, gluten-free version I now call Lori’s Frittata. 

If you’re looking for a way to make friends, minister to others, and enjoy delicious food, give my recipe a try. Then prayerfully look for someone to share it with. 

"Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sin. Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling" (1 Peter 4:8-9).

Now it’s your turn. What’s your friend-making, ministry-minded go-to recipe? Leave a comment (and share the recipe if you’d like) in the comments below. If you’re reading by email, CLICK HERE to visit Hungry for God online to leave a comment. 



Does Your Faith Need Refreshing?

That's in the Bible? I've never noticed that before!

It's probably been too long since you've newly discovered a story that speaks to your soul or a verse that pops with truth. But that's about to change!



Refresh Your Faith contains 66 culturally relevant, story-driven devotions, one from each book of the Bible. Each real-life story spotlights an unusual verse or Bible passage that you may have overlooked in your usual Bible reading. Lori Hatcher challenges you with additional features like an uncommon thought to ponder; an unusual faith action step; and an unfamiliar passage suggestion for additional Bible reading.

When the fabulous has become familiar and your quiet times are more like nap times, it's time to step out of spiritual boredom and ignite the spark that will keep you growing. No matter where you are on your faith journey, Lori's conversational and engaging style will challenge you to think about things you've never thought about before.

“Real-life inspiration and candid wit. These 5-minute devotions will change your life.” —Psychologist and best-selling author Dr. Kevin Leman, commenting on Lori Hatcher's devotional style




Are you hungry for God, but starving for time? 
I’d love to send you a 5-minute e-mail devotion twice a week to start your day off with the Lord. 

Sign up for a free subscription to Hungry for God by CLICKING HERE.

Then, be sure to VALIDATE the confirmation email you receive. 

Note: I promise never to spam you or share your email address.

Because busy women need to connect with God in the craziness of everyday life.







6 comments:

  1. I'm not much of a "friend maker", but when we do have guests (friends, not family), I make our Sugo Toscano. A delightfully simply rustic dish I learned to make when Diane and I were spending some time in Tuscany right after I had retired. With the exception of one dear friend who will only each hot dogs, vienna sausages, or a plain chicken tender now and again, folks have always came back for more. The best parts about meals like this is the fellowship and friendship that ensues. Will share the receipt with the wife, because as the world knows "Men don't eat quiche." :-) God's blessings Ms. Lori.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, man, J.D., I don't know what Sugo Toscano is, but it sounds Italian, delicious, and great for making friends. Please share the recipe for those of us who need another easy recipe and more friends! And as for you being not much of a friend maker, I beg to differ. I've noticed you have the ability to collect friends wherever you go. Keep it up. Our lives are so blessed by the people the Lord brings into them.

      Delete
  2. This looks like a great recipe. Thank you for sharing. This is the time of year when there are numerous pot luck dinners and I am always looking for a new recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a keeper, Melissa. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have. Blessings to you today!

      Delete
  3. Lori, I always enjoy your posts. So encouraging and practical. I also love cooking and sharing recipes so I'm excited to try your quiche. Thank you for sharing. God bless you and your ministry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome, friend. Thanks for the kind words, and for being part of the Hungry for God family. Hopefully this recipe will help you not be quite so hungry :) Blessings to you!

      Delete

Did this devotion speak to you? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Leave a comment below and join the conversation.