Wednesday

"Lord, give me eyes to see." A Hurried Person's Prayer

It was Andrew’s first wedding, at least in his remembrance. He’d slept through a few as an infant, but now, at age two, he was all in. Wide-eyed and curious, he noticed every detail. 


His mother, my daughter, was the matron of honor. His sisters, the flower girls. Daddy was occupied with his six-week-old brother, so Andrew and I were a couple. My job was to keep him happy, entertained, and quiet.

He watched the opening procession carefully, waiting for his mother to walk down the aisle. As each bridesmaid processed, he looked them over carefully. 

“Is that Mommy?” I asked. 

“Mo.” 

“How about that lady?” 

“Mo.” 

When his mother appeared, his face split into a toothy grin. “Der Mommy. Pretty!” Then he noticed her bouquet. “Fwowers!” 

“Aren’t they pretty?” I said. He nodded enthusiastically. 

Next came his sisters, solemn and angelic in their white tulle dresses, dutifully scattering paper hearts on the damp grass. “Uh-oh,” Andrew said, noticing the “litter” they’d left behind. 

After all had taken their places and the officiate began to speak, Andrew added his commentary to the man’s words. 

“Birds!” he said, pointing to the trees above us. “Squirrel?” he asked, noticing a movement in the tree tops. In his quiet-but-not-so-quiet voice, he pointed out an airplane, a helicopter, and a “weaf.” 

Fearing that he might be distracting the other guests, I gathered him up and slipped from the last row. We stood at a distance at the back of the garden. 

“Wook! Gigi,” Andrew said. Oak trees made a canopy overhead, and fat acorns dotted the ground. Like a gambler at a slot machine, he gathered his treasure and stuffed his pockets full. 

He wandered behind a bush, then came running back. Grabbing my hand and tugging, he pulled me toward the bush. “Gigi, come!” Cautious about what he’d discovered, I stepped gingerly between the shrubs. Andrew’s idea of “interesting” is vastly different from his sisters’. Bugs, rocks, and frogs top his list of fascinating specimens. 

But not this time. 

“Wook!” he said with a flourish. “Fwowers!” 

Sure enough, he’d found a bush covered in pink blossoms much like the bouquet his mommy had carried down the aisle a few minutes earlier. “Pretty,” he declared with a smile, and I agreed. 

Reflecting on the day, I thanked God for the opportunity to see the world through Andrew’s eyes. Without his help, I’d have missed the wonder of the afternoon. His invitation to slow down, look closely, and ponder was a precious gift I’ll not soon forget. 

Ever wonder how much we miss because we don’t stop long enough to see? 

Solomon, the wise man of Israel, declared, “He has made everything beautiful in his time,” (Ecclesiastes 3:11), but we can only appreciate this beauty if we stop and look. 

Father, help us slow down, look closely, and ponder deeply. Enable us to see the wonder and beauty of your creation. Lift our hearts in praise to you, the Creator of it all. May we never be so busy that we fail to recognize your fingerprints on our world. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen. 

Now it’s your turn. Do you struggle with being so busy that you fail to notice the simple things? What helps you slow down and appreciate God’s creation? Leave a comment below and share your thoughts. If you’re reading by email, CLICK HERE to visit Hungry for God online and leave a comment.





Are you hungry for God, but starving for time? 
I’d love to send you a 5-minute e-mail devotion twice a week to start your day off with the Lord. 

Sign up for a free subscription to Hungry for God by CLICKING HERE.
Then, be sure to VALIDATE the confirmation email you receive. 

Note: I promise never to spam you or share your email address.

Because busy women need to connect with God in the craziness of everyday life.




6 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:01 AM

    I firmly agree with the saying "Enjoy the little things, for one day you may realize that they were the big things."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Robin. Sometimes they are the greatest treasures :)

      Delete
  2. Pausing and noticing the simple things in life gives me great comfort. God has provided His creations and His moments for us to enjoy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And grandchildren to point them out :) What a gift to see the world through their eyes. I know you've experienced this with your little man. So fun!

      Delete
  3. Here on the ranch, it's much easier to slip away, slow down, and take in all of God's wonders in the world around me. Last evening, I stopped and praised Him for both my cattle's good health and for the new ryegrass emerging with the arrival of cooler temperatures. When I am pulled away from my place of solitude by the world (work, travel, etc.), I find myself becoming anxious - just like the world itself. It doesn't take long for me to begin praying for a quick return to where God placed my family and me. Wonderful post, and reminder to slow down and savor life. May your week ahead be filled with "Pretty fwowers" and wonderful time as a Gigi. God's blessings ma'am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are truly surrounded by God's majesty out there in the open fields of Texas, J.D. Sometimes, though, even when it's all around us, we grow myopic. All we see is what is right in front of our noses, like the horse with the carrot, and we fail to lift our eyes to the horizon (or the next block, or the next person.) Father, give us eyes to see!

      Delete

Did this devotion speak to you? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Leave a comment below and join the conversation.