Sunday

Are Your Daily Habits Killing You or Keeping You?

My boss, a dentist, often says, “What you do every day will either kill you or keep you.” 


Case in point—one day a college student who worked at a fast food restaurant several nights a week came in for his semi-annual dental checkup. We found 12 cavities. When we quizzed him about his daily habits, he admitted that he often sipped his favorite soft drink, Mountain Dew, to keep awake during his late-night shifts. He was shocked to learn he had so many cavities. 

We weren’t. 

Another patient, an older man who taught at a local private school, was also surprised when I announced he had two cavities. “You must be mistaken,” he said. “I haven’t gotten a cavity in 20 years.” 

Remembering that he’d complained about a dry mouth, I asked about his daily habits. “Do you regularly suck on candy or chew sugared gum?” 

His eyes grew wide. “Now that you mention it,” he said, “I started sucking on peppermints to keep my mouth moist while I lecture.” 

Mystery solved. 

Unfortunately, destructive daily habits aren’t limited to the dental realm. Regular smokers die of cancer and emphysema. Regular drinkers experience liver disease, digestive problems, and heart disease. Chronic couch potatoes are often obese and diabetic. 

More serious than any health problem I’ve mentioned, though, are the destructive results of poor spiritual habits. Studies have shown that those who never miss a Facebook update are more likely to be depressed and discontent. Those who spend every Sunday on the golf course or the beach have great tans but pale spiritual lives. Those who seldom miss a workout but never exercise spiritual discipline are strong on the outside and weak on the inside. 

If you’d like to cultivate daily spiritual habits that will keep you rather than kill you, here are a few suggestions: 


To read the rest of this post, CLICK HERE 





Are you hungry for God, but starving for time? 
I’d love to send you a 5-minute e-mail devotion twice a week to start your day off with the Lord. 

Sign up for a free subscription to Hungry for God by CLICKING HERE.
Then, be sure to VALIDATE the confirmation email you receive. 

Note: I promise never to spam you or share your email address.

Because busy women need to connect with God in the craziness of everyday life.


6 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:36 PM

    Great post! I quit alcohol almost one year ago - I realize that it's not necessary for everyone to quit completely, but I chose to. Those two or three drinks, four or five nights a week, were really taking a toll. I've also journaled (although not a specific thankful journal) and it is very therapeutic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, Robin. You are wise to incorporate these disciplines into your life and make them a daily practice. You've mentioned the two sides of discipline -- eliminating harmful things from your life and adding beneficial ones. Blessings to you, and thanks for chiming in.

      Delete
  2. All wonderful suggestions Ms. Lori. What great reminders that we both add and subtract to each day by what we think, say, and do. One thing I try to accomplish each day is to sit silently and let God speak His affirmation into my life. I can hear all about the things I can't do, don't know, need to do all the time. It is in my "God time" that I tune out everyone and everything but God. As He speaks into my life, I am filled with all I need to make it through my day. Some days, I do little to impact His kingdom. Other days, I feel I've helped to move His kingdom closer for someone. Without His encouragement and affirmation, I would be far too timid to try. God's blessings ma'am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those moments of listening you've described, J.D. It is both profound and vital to sit at God's feet every day and receive our marching orders. But oh, how often we skip this crucial time. Thanks for the reminder.

      Delete
  3. Our spiritual life needs to be fed each day. I pray my daily habits are ones that show His love and glory. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Melissa. That's my prayer, too. Thanks for chiming in today.

      Delete

Did this devotion speak to you? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Leave a comment below and join the conversation.