Saturday

It's Friday, But Sunday's Comin'

On Good Friday my five-year-old granddaughter Lauren and I created an Easter centerpiece for our table. As I hot glued sticks together to make crosses, she asked, “Gigi, why are you making three crosses? Jesus only needed one.” 

“On the day Jesus died,” I said, “two thieves were also crucified, one on Jesus' right, and one on his left. One man was prideful. He yelled at Jesus and made fun of him. ‘If you’re the Son of God like you say, why don’t you come down off this cross?’ 

“The other man was humble, and sorry for what he’d done. He believed Jesus was God’s Son, and he asked him to forgive him for his sin. He told the other man, ‘We’re being punished for our crimes, but this man has done nothing wrong. Jesus, will you remember me when you get to heaven?” 

“'Today,’ Jesus said, ‘you will be with me in paradise.’” 


Lauren's 3 Crosses, complete with a unicorn announcement
declaring, "He Is Risen! :)
Finishing the story, I pushed three crosses into the soil. “Whenever we see three crosses, we need to ask ourselves, ‘Am I the prideful man who made fun of Jesus? Or am I the humble man who asked Jesus to forgive him and take him to heaven one day?'” 

I love how working on this craft with my granddaughter gave us a natural opportunity to talk about Jesus’ death and how, one day, God will call us each into account with one piercing question, 

“What did you do with my Son?” 

We tucked moss around the crosses and placed a stone beside the opening to the empty tomb. 

“You know why I love this craft?” I asked Lauren. She shook her head. 

“Because we can see what it looked like on earth—the very sad day when Jesus died on the cross. But we can also see what was getting ready to happen—on the very happy day when Jesus rose from the dead. I think this is what they saw in heaven. 

And now, because we know history, this is what we see, too.” 

It’s Friday, but Sunday's comin'.





If you're reading by email, CLICK HERE to watch "It's Friday, but Sunday's a Comin'."

Happy Easter!




Are you hungry for God, but starving for time? 
I’d love to send you a 5-minute e-mail devotion twice a week to start your day off with the Lord. 

Sign up for a free subscription to Hungry for God by CLICKING HERE.
Then, be sure to VALIDATE the confirmation email you receive. 

Note: I promise never to spam you or share your email address.

Because busy women need to connect with God in the craziness of everyday life.




1 comment:

  1. What a great craft, Lori! I'll keep it in mind for my grandkids when I see them on Easter.

    ReplyDelete

Did this devotion speak to you? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Leave a comment below and join the conversation.