Wednesday

Are We Guilty of Presumptuous Sins?

When you hear the word presumptuous, what comes to mind?


I think about the acquaintance who felt compelled to share her low opinion of homeschooling—in front of my homeschooled children. Or the house sitter who decided to reorganize my kitchen—without my permission. Presumptuous brings to mind rude house guests, meddling coworkers, and opinionated “experts.” 

The Cambridge English Dictionary defines presumptuous as “someone who shows little respect for others by doing things they have no right to do.” Psalm 19:13 uses the word presumptuous in an intriguing way: 

 “Keep back Your servant also from presumptuous sins;” David prayed. “Let them not have dominion over me. Then I shall be blameless, And I shall be innocent of great transgression.” 

Presumptuous sins. 

David knew them well. Perhaps this is why he prayed so earnestly to be shielded from them. Fresh in his mind may have been the horrifying incident that occurred when he decided (without seeking the Lord) to transport the ark of God to Jerusalem. 

Although God had given the Israelites clear and detailed instruction about how to handle this symbol of God’s presence, David didn’t consult the Scriptures for guidance. Nor did he pray to God. He just thought up a plan, decided it was good, and barreled forward. The resulting calamity ended with one man dead and the rest of them scared to death. You can read more of this story in 1 Samuel 6. 

When the funeral was over and the last casserole dish washed and sent home, David pondered his hasty actions. He realized how presumptuous he had been to plan to do something for God without even talking with God. 

What if God had a different plan? (He did.) 

What if God wanted to use different people in his plan? (He did.) 

What if David was to have a lesser role, and God a greater one? (He was.) 

We get into trouble every time we assume God needs our help. 

It’s important to note that David's motives were good. He wanted to honor God by moving the ark to a place of respect. His plans went astray, however, when he didn’t include the Lord in them. If he had, the outcome might have been much different. This is an example of the sin of presumption.

 I’m often guilty of the same sin that plagued David. I hatch a plan, declare it brilliant, and set it in motion. Only later, when it fails (or succeeds at accomplishing something very different than what I’d intended) do I seek the Lord and realize my sin. I wonder how many disasters I’d avoid if I prayed with David, “Keep back your servant also from presumptuous sins”? 

I remember a time when a friend of mine was struggling mightily. I knew I could make it better if I could go to her. To be there to hug and cry and pray. To speak truth and remind her God had a plan for her life. To convince her, by the power of my will and the strength of my personality, that she could trust him. 

I desired good things, but I presumptuously assumed I was the only person who could make them happen. In God’s good providence, circumstances, distance, and money kept me from coming to her rescue. My inability to minister in person forced me to do what I should have been doing all along—asking God to meet her needs and quiet her heart. 

“Lord, I can’t be there, but you can,” I prayed. “Speak to her heart. Comfort her. Show her in some tangible way that you love her, you’ll provide for her, and you have a good plan for her life. Protect her, Lord. Show yourself real to her today.” 


Only later did I learn how God answered my prayer. In his mercy, he sent a sensitive soul across her path and gave the woman holy boldness to reach out to her. “She came out of nowhere,” my friend said. “She was kind and caring. I think God sent her to remind me that he's aware of my struggles, and he cares.” 

Every time I think of this story, I remember that God doesn’t need me. That’s not to say he doesn’t want to use me—but in his time and in his way. God didn’t need David to organize the ark’s relocation to Jerusalem, but he used him—after he sought God’s face, searched God’s Word, and submitted his plans to the much-wiser, all-knowing God. 

Every day we face choices. Do I act or do I pray? If God wants me to act, what should I do, and how should I do it? If I am to pray, what specifically should I pray for? Most times, God will call us to act and to pray. Only by seeking God’s will in prayer, in the Scriptures, and through wise counsel will we be able to determine what our part in God’s work is. 

I’m learning to apply this three-step method of seeking God’s direction. I hope it will keep me from presumptuous sins. Like David, I have no desire to be known as “someone who shows little respect for others (or God) by doing things they have no right to do.” 

 How about you? In what area do you struggle most with surrendering to God and seeking his way instead of your own? Leave a comment below and share your thoughts. If you’re reading by email, click HERE to visit Hungry for God online and leave a comment. 



Are you hungry for God, but starving for time? 
I’d love to send you a 5-minute e-mail devotion twice a week to start your day off with the Lord. 

Sign up for a free subscription to Hungry for God by CLICKING HERE.
Then, be sure to VALIDATE the confirmation email you receive. 

Note: I promise never to spam you or share your email address.

Because busy women need to connect with God in the craziness of everyday life.







8 comments:

  1. I so love this thought Ms. Lori; "... God doesn't need me... " Yet, I so need Him. What a wonderful lesson from this gracious post ma'am. God's blessings...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, J.D. Like the old hymn says, "I need thee every hour, most gracious Lord." We must never forget . . .

      Delete
  2. Excellent message. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Melissa, and for your kind words :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you, Lori, you gave me the right word (presumptuous). In my whole life since I got work, I always supported my sisters financially. I came in Belgium and got married. It's not easy to find a job here because of langauage barrier and they don't honor diploma outside europe. The only job I can find is "cleaning". I've practiced the virtue of humility here because I need to take the job that's far that I can imagine. In the beginning I cried and prayed to God that if it's meant for me to have that job (cleaning houses), give me the courage to accept it and to love doing it. For so many years doing it, I enjoy and love my work! I continue supporting my sisters who are financially short. I was able to finance the study of some nephews and nieces to university and now they are all graduated and have job. And still, if anyone (family, friends,relatives) that I feel they need financial support even they never ask, I send money. For so many years working here, I have no savings! Most of the time I deprived myself for a lot of things that I want to buy or even to have an experience pampering myself. Helping them makes me happy and I feel good and my purpose in doing that is letting them to thank and praise God. Three years ago, I asked God the Father to help me know Jesus so that I will love and serve Him. Since I accept Jesus, repent and asked for forgiveness, everything changed! I realized that my family is my priority, they have all my attention and love. As Jesus said, love God above all things ... I didn't put God above all things but my family. Now, I committed presumptous sin of what I am doing. The people (my siblings, relatives, friends) are now depend on me that anytime they are in financial problem, I'm their solution! ... Before you published this article, lori, I was awakened that my action is a sin. I asked for forgiveness to God that I TOOK HIS ROLE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Helen, thank you for taking the time to share your story. Your history of faithful generosity is beautiful. I'm so excited, too, that now that you know Jesus as your Savior, he is opening your eyes to the truth that he might have a different plan for you. As you pray and seek his will, he will reveal that to you. It's such a hard balance between helping someone and enabling them, but I think you're on the right track in realizing that you want your family members to be as self-sufficient as possible while learning to depend on God to provide their needs. He may sometimes choose to do this through other people (for a season), but every day, in every way, we must go to him FIRST. I pray God's blessings on you today and every day. Thanks so much for stopping by.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, too, Lori. It's a blessing for me reading your blog. I pray to God to direct my path and give me wisdom. God is so generous on giving me wisdom through encountering website like yours, Lori. I receiving His message through your posts and some other Christian websites that I found.

      Delete
  4. Correction: they became dependent on me.

    ReplyDelete

Did this devotion speak to you? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Leave a comment below and join the conversation.