Wednesday

What to Do When the Task Is Big and Your Strength Is Small

Of all the men and women we read about in the Bible, with whom do you most identify? 

Maybe you’re a prayer warrior like Daniel (and can tell a few stories about being thrown into the lion’s den for it). 

Or perhaps Peter could be your Bible double because you act first and think later. 

Many feel a heart connection to Martha, the busy lady who forgot that spending time with Jesus is even more important than doing stuff for him. 

Today, as I read the story of Gideon, I found myself nodding in empathy and identification. I get Gideon, because I often live in his skin. 

You may remember that Gideon lived during the time of the judges, Israel’s yoyo period when they vacillated between serving God and serving idols. When we join the narrative in Judges 6, the Israelites were again serving idols – and suffering at the hands of their oppresive neighbors, the Midianites. 

Like teenagers at an all-you-can-eat buffet, the Midianite raiders would descend on Israel at harvest time, consuming their crops and destroying their fields and farms. “So Israel became poverty-stricken because of Midian” (Judges 6:6 CSB). 

“So the Israelites cried out to the Lord.” 

In his mercy, God answered their prayers by appearing to Gideon, a weak-faithed skeptic. “The Lord is with you, valiant warrior,” the Angel of the Lord said. 

“If the Lord is with us,” Gideon cynically replied, “why has all this happened? And where are all his wonders that our fathers told us about? . . . the Lord has abandoned us and handed us over to Midian” (v. 13). 

Notice how Gideon failed to mention they’d been thumbing their noses at God and serving false idols for years before God finally took corrective action. Hardship had driven Gideon and his kinsman to cry out to the Lord, but their prayers were motivated by desperation, not devotion. 

Like Gideon, I’m often guilty of this sin. Yet God is tender-hearted and merciful. He revealed his plan to deliver the Israelites from their oppressors. And he chose Gideon as the point man. 

“Go in the strength you have and deliver Israel from the grasp of Midian. I am sending you!” 


“Whaaaaat? Me?” Gideon cried. “How can I deliver Israel? Look, my family is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the youngest in my father’s family.” 

“Go in the strength you have,” the Lord replied. 

I’ve noticed that God often calls us to tasks too big for us Caring for a sick loved one, parenting a rebellious teenager, staying faithful in a loveless marriage Facing a life-threatening illness, overcoming an addiction, or putting the pieces of your home back together after a tragedy.  

The Christian’s calling to integrity, perseverance, joy, and hope is lofty and difficult. Yet he calls us to go in the strength we have – puny and weak though it is. 

“But I will be with you,” (v. 16) God promises. “You will be victorious.” 

Some mornings, like Gideon, I look at the demands of my life and all God has called me to do. “I’m too weak,” I say. “I’m weary, and I’m frail. I can’t do this.” God acknowledges my words and agrees with me. 

Then, like a parent watching his child struggle to lift a suitcase far too heavy, he places his hand over mine. Infusing my weakness with his strength, we lift the burden and move forward – together. 

Are you facing something too big for you to handle on your own today? Is your strength too small for the mighty task that faces you? Then according to God and Gideon, you are poised for victory. 

“Go in the strength you have,” God says, “and I will be with you.” 

Now it’s your turn. When have you faced something far too great to handle in your own strength and seen God work through you? Leave a comment below and share your experience. If you’re reading by email, CLICK HERE to visit Hungry for God onlinewww.LoriHatcher.com and leave a comment.



Are you hungry for God, but starving for time? 
I’d love to send you a 5-minute e-mail devotion twice a week to start your day off with the Lord. 

Sign up for a free subscription to Hungry for God by CLICKING HERE.
Then, be sure to VALIDATE the confirmation email you receive. 

Note: I promise never to spam you or share your email address.

Because busy women need to connect with God in the craziness of everyday life.







4 comments:

  1. Oh how I loved this Ms. Lori. My response to your question "When?" is simple. Life! God's blessings for this message ma'am. So many in this world needs to hear this. Am praying for one young lady in particular who needs God's words He gave you this morning. God's blessings ma'am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The words, "Go in your strength. I will be with you," took me back almost 8 years ago when I was facing my husband's memorial service. "I can't do this!" I cried that morning. But God, in his quiet, loving way said, "Go comfort the others. I will be with you."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some days I am strong and some days I am weak. I read your message and began singing "Jesus loves me, this I know, for the Bible tells me so..." There is a verse sharing how Jesus is strong when we are weak. What a blessing to belong to God and know when we feel weak, He is holding us and making us strong. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this, Lori. It inspired me in an unusual way. I'm trying to come up with assignments for Tweens and Teens in a writing class. I think I will use this study to help them... 1) look into the word and see God at work in the lives of Bible people, and 2) write a story in a modern day (or futuristic - they love that!) setting which teaches the same truth.

    ReplyDelete

Did this devotion speak to you? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Leave a comment below and join the conversation.