Wednesday

10 Things to Say at an Unbeliever's Funeral

“I just can’t believe all those (Bible) stories,” my friend said. “They’re just fables.” 

I’d prayed for, witnessed to, and even wrote a letter sharing my faith with her. During the weeks before her death, godly friends visited her and shared the Gospel. People in several churches prayed for a softening of her heart toward spiritual things. To my knowledge, my friend died without placing her faith in Jesus. 

Her funeral was one of the saddest experiences I’ve ever endured. 

The apostle Paul, in 1 Thessalonians 4:13-14 tells believers facing the death of someone who has died in Christ, “that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope. For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so, through Jesus, God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep.” This comfort is achingly absent in the death of an unbeliever. 

When we attend (or officiate at) their funerals, what should we say? 

I'm sharing today over at Crosswalk.com. To read the rest of "10 Things to Say at an Unbeliever's Funeral," CLICK HERE.


You might also find this helpful:  "10 Scriptures about Death to Comfort the Grieving."





If you enjoyed this post, why not subscribe? I'll send you twice-weekly 5-minute devotions to help nourish your soul. 
Because women need to connect with God in the craziness of life. 

Enter your email address and VALIDATE the Feedburner email sent to your inbox.



Delivered by FeedBurner


2 comments:

Did this devotion speak to you? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Leave a comment below and join the conversation.