Tuesday

My Heart is Still Bruised from Easter

My heart is still bruised from Easter.

Despite my Yankee upbringing, I'm very tenderhearted. I cry at sad animal stories, dodge squirrels crossing the road, and seldom watch movies that don't promise a happy ending. I've never watched The Passion of the Christ, because I know they'd have to carry me out in a bucket; all that would be left of me would be a sniveling, sobbing, puddle of emotion.

I came to Christ as a young adult. I'd made enough bad choices by then to wholeheartedly agree with Romans 3:23 when it proclaimed that "all have sinned and come short of the glory of God." I knew unequivocally that I had a sure seat among the "all" who had sinned. Because of my thorough understanding of my own guilt before a holy God, I have no difficulty comprehending what my sin cost Christ on the cross.

But today's reading from Spurgeon's Morning by Morning ripped the scab off my tender heart and reminded me again how great a debt I owe my precious Savior. Spurgeon writes this:

"My sins were the very scourges that lacerated the flesh of His blessed shoulders, and my sins were the thorns that crowned His bleeding brow.

"My sins cried, 'Crucify him! Crucify him!' and then laid the cross upon His gracious shoulders.

His being led forth to die is enough sorrow for all of eternity to bear, but knowing I was His murderer is more grief--infinitely more--than one poor human fountain of tears can express."

Today, bowed and humbled before Christ's immense love gift of salvation, I wept brokenheartedly over the price He paid for me.


For me.

"Amazing love! How can it be? That thou my God shouldst die for me!"


The next time I am tempted to view my own sin too lightly, may I see in my mind's eye a vision of Christ on the cross

For me.



What about you? Are you tempted to minimize your sin because it's "only minor?" The cumulative effect of "minor" sin created a human sin debt so great it cost the holy Son of God His life. Will you join me in viewing every sin in light of the price our Savior had to pay?








You want to connect with God, but in the craziness of life, it’s just not happening. You want practical, biblical answers to situations you face every day, but you don’t have hours to pore over Scripture.

You need a resource that answers the questions you’re afraid to ask out loud. Questions like:

• Is my situation hopeless?
• If God already knows what he’s going to do, why bother to pray? 
• Why have you allowed this to happen to me? 
• No one appreciates what I do. Why shouldn’t I quit? 

Each devotion begins with a Facetime question and ends with a biblical answer wrapped in a modern day parable. Like a spiritual power bar, Hungry for God … Starving for Time is packed with enough scriptural nutrition to get you through the day. Wherever you are—in break rooms, carpool lines, or wherever you can snatch five minutes of quiet reflection—Hungry for God … Starving for Time, 5-Minute Devotions for Busy Women is for you.



If you enjoyed this post, why not subscribe? I'll send you twice-weekly 5-minute devotions to help nourish your soul. 
Because women need to connect with God in the craziness of life. 

Enter your email address and VALIDATE the Feedburner email sent to your inbox.



Delivered by FeedBurner











Hungry for God is on Facebook! Will you take a moment and LIKE my page? CLICK HERE to help HFG share 5-minute devotions.
 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Yes, our sin, my sin sent Jesus to the cross to bear incredible torture and pain. Chosen by God, and slain as the only perfect sacrifice for my sins. Thank You, Jesus, for caring so much for each of us. I can certainly relate, as I'm a sobber too. A very descriptive view, Lori. Kudos for this reminder.

    ReplyDelete

Did this devotion speak to you? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Leave a comment below and join the conversation.