Friday

Like a Weaned Child


When my daughter was a baby, she was not the most patient infant.  She would go from sleeping to screaming in less than a minute.  What began as a whimper would soon become a cry, which would escalate into a full-blown wail, complete with red face, kicking feet, and thrashing arms.  The whole neighborhood knew when she was hungry.

As time passed, she learned that she didn't have to scream and thrash to let us know she had a need.  She didn't panic when the first whimper went unattended.  Best of all, she learned that we loved her and delighted in caring for her.  She learned to trust us.

Sometimes I act like my daughter did.  When life throws me a curve ball, I can often go from a whimper to an all out cry in less than a minute.  Fear and panic rise up in me, and I am overwhelmed.  I feel abandoned and all alone.  I begin to doubt that God will hear and answer my cry.  As fear escalates, my imagination goes crazy, my heart races, and I become more and more distraught.  Before long I can become hopeless -- an emotional and spiritual wreck.

Psalm 131:2-3 is God's word to me in times of fear and need.  "Surely I have calmed and quieted my soul, Like a weaned child with his mother; Like a weaned child is my soul within me. O Israel, hope in the LORD From this time forth and forever."

Psalm 46:10 echoes the sentiment:  "Be still and know that I am God."

In times of trouble, I must take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ, make my need known to the Father, and be still.  I must rest in the fact that He loves me, He cares about my needs, and He is trustworthy.  I must choose not to listen to the voice of the enemy who causes my heart to fear.  I must choose instead to trust in the God who cared enough to die for me.
 "He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things?"  (Romans 8:32) 

1 comment:

  1. So cool Lori! I just read your comment on my blog, and then went to yours....God is so awesome to knit his people together. We truly are one body :)

    ReplyDelete

Did this devotion speak to you? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Leave a comment below and join the conversation.