Saturday

Birthday Reflections



When they were babies, my daughters taught me the most important lesson on birthdays:  Eat the frosting first!

The gals from the Pink Posse Breast Cancer survivor group taught me never to take birthdays for granted.

My 94 year old grandmother taught me that every birthday is a celebration, whether it's yours or not.

The GEICO car insurance bill I received in my mailbox today taught me that contrary to all the Hallmark cards, today is NOT just all about me.

Sydney, and Wendy, and Jered, taught me that it's very cool to have birthday buddies with whom to share my special day.

My friends and family taught me that it's nice to be remembered, even from as far away as Morocco, Colorado, Ohio, and yes, even Myrtle Beach.

And the Lord, my precious Father who is the Giver of life and  every good and perfect gift, taught me the most important lesson of them all.

"Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom."  (Psalm 90:12)

I read the birthday list in Genesis 5 today.  You know, "So all the years of Seth were 905 and he died. . . So all the days of Cainan were 910 years; and he died. . . "  Each entry read pretty much the same until I got to Enoch. "After he begat Methuselah, Enoch walked with God three hundred years, and had sons and daughters. . . So all the days of Enoch were 365 years.  And Enoch walked with God; and he was not, for God took him." (v. 21-24)

Wow.  What a testimony.  Not that he lived, had children, and died, but that "he walked with God."  Every man on this list was granted a lifetime to live.  Some lived it for themselves in selfish pursuits.  Others walked with God.

When I come to the end of my life, may it be said of me, "She walked with God, and then was not, for the Lord took her."

I cannot think of a more fitting epitaph. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did this devotion speak to you? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Leave a comment below and join the conversation.