Thursday

Always Wanted -- A Birthday Post

 


Because today's my birthday, I thought it appropriate to share the story of my first BIRTHday. Thank you, Mom and Dad, for always making me feel wanted.


God, who set me apart from my mother’s womb and called me by his grace. 
 Galatians 1:15 

I always knew my parents wanted me. From my earliest existence, I was welcomed, celebrated (maybe too much), and loved. Not because I was the firstborn, but because I was the second. 

My brother, Robert, was born just eighteen months prior to me. He lived only three days. Complications from a challenging delivery took him from my parents before they even had a chance to hold him. 

My mother was only eighteen years old. 

In time God blessed them with another baby—me. 

Halfway through Mom’s pregnancy, her doctor discovered a cyst on her ovary. It blocked the birth canal and took up much-needed space in her abdomen. Without surgery, my growth and development would be hindered, and my mother would be unable to deliver me. 

But with the surgery came the risk that I could be born deaf, blind, or both. The procedure could also trigger early labor. In the sixties, babies born three months prematurely had little or no chance of survival. 

Imagine what it would be like to be nineteen years old, mourning the loss of your first child, and fearing for the life of your second. My mom was wheeled into the delivery room.  My dad chain-smoked in the waiting room. 


“We didn’t know if you’d make it,” he told me years later. “I don’t know how we’d have borne it if you hadn’t.” 

As you already know, I survived. I arrived right on schedule three months later, neither blind nor deaf. 

As you can imagine, my parents celebrated my birth as a grand and glorious gift from God. 

Unlike me, not everyone has the privilege of being wanted by their parents. Some don’t even know their parents. Many were born into impoverished, dysfunctional, or turbulent homes and families. Others were “unplanned” or “unwanted.” Some were celebrated, but later, when the winds of circumstance changed, they became a burden. 

Whether we were wanted or unwanted by the people in our lives, the apostle Paul’s words to the church in Galatia speak truth: “God, who set me apart from my mother’s womb and called me by his grace.” 

What does it mean, for Paul and for us, to be set apart from our mother’s womb and called by God’s grace? 

Here are three truths to consider: 

1. Your birth was not an accident or a mistake. 

Psalm 139:15–16 reads, “My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together. . . . Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.” 

2. You were set apart for a purpose. 

Paul’s purpose was to preach Christ to the Gentiles, yet he didn’t start out that way. Instead, he persecuted the church of Christ, jailing and killing sincere believers. But instead of disqualifying him from the purpose for which God had set him apart, his tragic early years added weight to his testimony that Christ came into the world to save sinners, of whom he was the worst. 

Our purpose may be something less grandiose than evangelizing half of the known world, but it is significant, nonetheless. We may never understand how our life impacts others, but we can rest assured, God will use us for His glory. 

3. Our encounter with God wasn’t by chance. 

On the contrary, before the foundations of the world were formed, God ordered our days. Through a divine work of grace, He revealed himself to you (perhaps He’s doing this right now) and called you to himself. No one comes to Jesus, the Bible says, unless God the Father draws him. 

What a thought. 

God invites imperfect people like us to have a relationship with Him—the almighty God of the universe.

I don’t know your background. You may have read my story and wished it were yours (minus the part about my brother). Maybe you’ve always longed to be treasured and loved. 

If you’ve spent most of your life feeling more like a burden and less like a blessing, consider this:
On the day you were born, God welcomed you, celebrated you, and loved you. He set you apart for His glory and good pleasure. He’s inviting you, by His grace, to walk with Him all the days of your life. 

Uncommon Thought 

Whether or not you were wanted by your mother, father, or other significant person in your life, God the Father has always wanted you. 

Unusual Faith 

Think back over your life. Have you ever felt unwanted? Have you doubted your value or questioned if your life has a purpose? Instead of allowing the circumstances of your birth or the opinions of others to define you, embrace the truth of Galatians 1. You have been set apart by God and called for His glory. Tuck this truth deep into your soul and embrace it. When other people’s words or the voices in your head contradict what you know to be true, personalize and quote this verse aloud. “God set me apart from my mother’s womb and called me by his grace.” 

Read Galatians 1:15–24.

Taken from Refresh Your Faith: Uncommon Devotions from Every Book of the Bible by Lori Hatcher© 2020. Used by permission of Our Daily Bread Publishing®, Box 3566, Grand Rapids, MI 49501. All rights reserved. Further distribution is prohibited without written permission from Our Daily Bread Publishing® at permissionsdept@odb.org.



Does Your Faith Need Refreshing?

That's in the Bible? I've never noticed that before!

It's probably been too long since you've newly discovered a story that speaks to your soul or a verse that pops with truth. But that's about to change!



Refresh Your Faith contains 66 culturally relevant, story-driven devotions, one from each book of the Bible. Each real-life story spotlights an unusual verse or Bible passage that you may have overlooked in your usual Bible reading. Lori Hatcher challenges you with additional features like an uncommon thought to ponder; an unusual faith action step; and an unfamiliar passage suggestion for additional Bible reading.

When the fabulous has become familiar and your quiet times are more like nap times, it's time to step out of spiritual boredom and ignite the spark that will keep you growing. No matter where you are on your faith journey, Lori's conversational and engaging style will challenge you to think about things you've never thought about before.

“Real-life inspiration and candid wit. These 5-minute devotions will change your life.” —Psychologist and best-selling author Dr. Kevin Leman, commenting on Lori Hatcher's devotional style




Are you hungry for God, but starving for time? 
I’d love to send you a 5-minute e-mail devotion twice a week to start your day off with the Lord. 

Sign up for a free subscription to Hungry for God by CLICKING HERE.

Then, be sure to VALIDATE the confirmation email you receive. 

Note: I promise never to spam you or share your email address.


Because busy women need to connect with God in the craziness of everyday life.


6 comments:

  1. So much I could say, and perhaps one day I will. For now, I'll simply thank you for your kind, encouraging words, and wish you a very Happy Birthday sweet lady. God's continued blessings upon your life ma'am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, J.D. You're a blessing to me and many others!

      Delete
  2. What an awesome post! Thanks so much for sharing it, Lori!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend! God's blessings to you!

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday dear friend! You are a true blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you are to me, friend! Many thanks :)

      Delete

Did this devotion speak to you? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Leave a comment below and join the conversation.