Thursday

10 Loving Ways to Interact with the Visually Impaired

When the Spittle family walked through the doors of our church, I was thrilled. Visitors don’t often find our little church tucked into the middle of a residential neighborhood. 

Nick, a teenager, and his mom, Tracy, walked down the aisle first, her hand tucked into in the crook of his arm. Thom and Jonathan walked in single file, with Thom’s hand on his son’s shoulder. Their entrance was different, but I didn’t realize Thom and Tracy were blind until I noticed Thom’s dark glasses. 

As the Spittles visited and brought other blind friends to our church, I’ve learned better how to interact with those who are visually impaired. 

If you’re unsure how to interact with a person who is blind, here are ten tips I shared in a guest post on Crosswalk.com:

TO READ THE REST OF THIS POST, CLICK HERE.



Does Your Faith Need Refreshing?

Did you make a commitment to read the Bible this year, but now you're struggling? 

Do you need a resource to take you through each book of the Bible?

That's in the Bible? I've never noticed that before!

It's probably been too long since you've newly discovered a story that speaks to your soul or a verse that pops with truth. But that's about to change!



Refresh Your Faith contains 66 culturally relevant, story-driven devotions, one from each book of the Bible. Each real-life story spotlights an unusual verse or Bible passage that you may have overlooked in your usual Bible reading. Lori Hatcher challenges you with additional features like an uncommon thought to ponder; an unusual faith action step; and an unfamiliar passage suggestion for additional Bible reading.

When the fabulous has become familiar and your quiet times are more like nap times, it's time to step out of spiritual boredom and ignite the spark that will keep you growing. No matter where you are on your faith journey, Lori's conversational and engaging style will challenge you to think about things you've never thought about before.

“Real-life inspiration and candid wit. These 5-minute devotions will change your life.” —Psychologist and best-selling author Dr. Kevin Leman, commenting on Lori Hatcher's devotional style




Are you hungry for God, but starving for time? 
I’d love to send you a 5-minute e-mail devotion twice a week to start your day off with the Lord. 

Sign up for a free subscription to Hungry for God by CLICKING HERE.

Then, be sure to VALIDATE the confirmation email you receive. 

Note: I promise never to spam you or share your email address.


Because busy women need to connect with God in the craziness of everyday life.





 


2 comments:

  1. Didn't see where I could leave a comment on the Crosswalk site, but knew I could here ma'am. First, I want to thank you for touching on this important subject. My little brother Paul was visually impaired, and while to took him longer to do some things than it did a sighted-person, he was every bit as skilled. Intelligent, articulate, and well-humored. I too had to learn how to "help" and not "do". I also learned how important it is not to change/move things around either. Secondly, I just want to say what a blessing it is to call you my friend. Your kindness and heart for God really shows in this article ma'am. God's blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, J.D.. I've learned so much from my visually impaired friends. They inspire me every time I'm around them. I didn't know your brother was visually impaired. I can see the wisdom in both the tips you shared! I'll tuck them away in case I get to write a follow up article :)

      Delete

Did this devotion speak to you? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Leave a comment below and join the conversation.