Sunday

What Does It Look Like to Rest in God? A Prescription for Worry





Holding eight-month-old Collin while he slept was a rare and exquisite treat. The youngest of four siblings, this active little fella usually naps in the car, in the stroller, or in his mama’s arms. I seldom have the opportunity to rock him to sleep. 

I’m not good at juggling the needs of his elder siblings and rocking a baby, so when Collin gets sleepy, I usually lay him down in the pack n’ play, give him a quick pat, and tiptoe out of the room. 

But last Friday my husband was home to oversee the older kids, and I had the pleasure of rocking Collin. 

“He almost fell asleep in the swing,” my husband told me, handing him over. “Look at him. He can barely keep his eyes open.” 

I gathered him close and eased into my favorite rocking chair. If you’ve ever held a breast fed baby to your chest, you know they often root around looking for milk—even if you're not their mama. If their hunger isn’t satisfied, ooooooweeeee are they mad. They thrash. They kick. They scream. They’re not happy, and the whole neighborhood knows it. 

But Collin’s belly was full. His mama had nursed him before she left, and he’d snacked on strawberries, banana, and tiny bites of pancake with his sisters and brother. He drifted off peacefully as I held him close, tucked into the crook of my arm. 

Psalm 131:2 reminds us that we, too, can rest in contentment and security. “I have calmed and quieted myself,” David the Psalmist wrote, “like a weaned child who no longer cries for its mother’s milk. Yes, like a weaned child is my soul within me.” 

David rested like a weaned child in the arms of his Savior because he trusted him. He had no need to thrash about, fearful God couldn’t or wouldn’t take care of him. In his spiritual infancy, God had provided everything he needed. Now, with his stomach (and his heart) full of God’s goodness, he could rest in quiet confidence. 

The rest of this tiny psalm, the third shortest in the Bible, tells us how David developed that peaceful trust. 

First, he approached God humbly. 

“LORD, my heart is not haughty, nor my eyes lofty” (v. 131:1). Humble Christians recognize that every breath we take, every day we live, and every opportunity that comes our way falls from the hands of our benevolent Father. Instead of approaching him like a spoiled child demanding our way, we come before God like a grateful daughter. In confidence and trust, we submit to His will and trust His heart. 

Second, he accepted that he’d never fully understand God’s will or His way. 

“Neither do I concern myself with great matters, Nor with things too profound for me.” David knew God’s mind contained the knowledge of the universe. The creative genius of a master artist. The infinite wisdom of the ages. Unlike those who refuse to put their faith in God until they get all their questions answered, a restful believer accepts by faith what we don’t understand. 

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts” (Isaiah 55:9). 

Like Collin slept in my arms, we can climb into the strong arms of God and calm our hearts. No thrashing. No kicking. No screaming. Just quiet, confident trust. 

What are you struggling with today? Isn’t it time you crawled up into God’s arms and rested there?




Does Your Faith Need Refreshing?

That's in the Bible? I've never noticed that before!

It's probably been too long since you've newly discovered a story that speaks to your soul or a verse that pops with truth. But that's about to change!



Refresh Your Faith contains 66 culturally relevant, story-driven devotions, one from each book of the Bible. Each real-life story spotlights an unusual verse or Bible passage that you may have overlooked in your usual Bible reading. Lori Hatcher challenges you with additional features like an uncommon thought to ponder; an unusual faith action step; and an unfamiliar passage suggestion for additional Bible reading.

When the fabulous has become familiar and your quiet times are more like nap times, it's time to step out of spiritual boredom and ignite the spark that will keep you growing. No matter where you are on your faith journey, Lori's conversational and engaging style will challenge you to think about things you've never thought about before.

“Real-life inspiration and candid wit. These 5-minute devotions will change your life.” —Psychologist and best-selling author Dr. Kevin Leman, commenting on Lori Hatcher's devotional style




Are you hungry for God, but starving for time? 
I’d love to send you a 5-minute e-mail devotion twice a week to start your day off with the Lord. 

Sign up for a free subscription to Hungry for God by CLICKING HERE.

Then, be sure to VALIDATE the confirmation email you receive. 

Note: I promise never to spam you or share your email address.


Because busy women need to connect with God in the craziness of everyday life.




8 comments:

  1. Oh My... As you were retelling your special time with your grandson, I couldn't help but begin reciting "My Father's Arms" in my mind. What a comforting and special way to begin my day Ms. Lori. By reflecting on the special relationship we can share with our Father. God's blessings sweet friend. May you find much rest in God my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no safer place, J.D. . . .

      Delete
  2. Great post on how we can trust God and rest in his arms just like Collin did in yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ellen. We can find great comfort and stability there. Rest well today!

      Delete
  3. So sweet, Lori. Our family went on vacation last week to the beach. Yes, we were super careful about social distancing, etc. Staying in the same condo with our daughter and family meant we had a lot of time with Foster, 4, and Laney, 2 in July. Laney already loves for me to rock her at my house or hers, but she became crazy-attached to me on this trip. Insisting Mime rock her over mama and da-da. :-) And of course, I wanted to. Such a beautiful analogy to our trust with our Father.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhh, Karen, there's nothing sweeter than holding that trusting soul in our arms and rocking them to sleep. I wonder if God feels a similar delight when we draw close in faith and trust? Is suspect so . . . .

      Delete
  4. Anonymous8:17 PM

    Thank you Ms. Lori for this very inspiring message. I just woke up and was about to start studying for my Maths exams tomorrow when I came across this article. Now I can study with peace and comfort within my heart knowing that God is for me and not against me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited, Gideon, that my simple words (and God's great ones) were an encouragement to you. I hope your math exams went wonderfully! Blessings to you, friend.

      Delete

Did this devotion speak to you? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Leave a comment below and join the conversation.