Thursday

Every Good Gift . . .


Every time I see Caroline, she gives me a gift. 


Although her brother usually beats her to my door on Fun Fridays at Gigi’s House, she’s fast on his heels. The tiny girl, “no bigger than a squirrel,” as my husband says, greets me with smiling eyes that sparkle with mischief.


“Gigi,” she says, clasping her hands together and bouncing with excitement, “I have a present for you!”

“Yes!” I always exclaim with the proper enthusiasm, “I LOVE presents.” 

She does a little happy dance, then bestows her treasure into my open palms with a flourish.

Sometimes she gives me a sparkling jewel from her collection. (Don’t all princesses have jewel collections?) Other times her treasure is a painted rock. One time it was a worm, but I’ve forgiven her for that.

Her generous spirit and giving heart consistently look for ways to share what is most precious to her.

Caroline reminds me a lot of God. 

Every time my heavenly Father and I spend time together, He gives me a gift. Sometimes it’s a sparkling jewel from His collection. (Don’t all kings have jewel collections?) A gold nugget from His Word, a gemstone of promise, or a sparkling insight into life. 

Other times He gives me something He’s created—a sunrise that takes my breath away or a cool breeze on a sunny day. 

A few times He’s given me something that didn’t look like a gift, but turned out to be one after all. Pain that pressed me further into His loving arms, a loss that reminded me of heaven’s hope, or suffering that refined my faith.

James 1:17 sums it up: “Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights.” 


Caroline and her generous heart (not her presents) is one of God’s good gifts to me. She loves me unconditionally, wants to spend time in my presence, and delights to bless me.

She and the Father God who created her fill my life with good things.

Now it’s your turn. How has God shown you His generous heart this week? Leave a comment below and share your blessings. If you’re reading by email, click HERE to visit Hungry for God online and leave a comment.






Does Your Faith Need Refreshing?

That's in the Bible? I've never noticed that before!

It's probably been too long since you've newly discovered a story that speaks to your soul or a verse that pops with truth. But that's about to change!



Refresh Your Faith contains 66 culturally relevant, story-driven devotions, one from each book of the Bible. Each real-life story spotlights an unusual verse or Bible passage that you may have overlooked in your usual Bible reading. Lori Hatcher challenges you with additional features like an uncommon thought to ponder; an unusual faith action step; and an unfamiliar passage suggestion for additional Bible reading.

When the fabulous has become familiar and your quiet times are more like nap times, it's time to step out of spiritual boredom and ignite the spark that will keep you growing. No matter where you are on your faith journey, Lori's conversational and engaging style will challenge you to think about things you've never thought about before.

“Real-life inspiration and candid wit. These 5-minute devotions will change your life.” —Psychologist and best-selling author Dr. Kevin Leman, commenting on Lori Hatcher's devotional style




Are you hungry for God, but starving for time? 
I’d love to send you a 5-minute e-mail devotion twice a week to start your day off with the Lord. 

Sign up for a free subscription to Hungry for God by CLICKING HERE.

Then, be sure to VALIDATE the confirmation email you receive. 

Note: I promise never to spam you or share your email address.


Because busy women need to connect with God in the craziness of everyday life.



7 comments:

  1. Aw, what a sweet kiddo! Her gifts are precious. And God's gifts are AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a sweetheart, that's for sure. Every day with her makes me smile. And yes, God's gifts ARE amazing :

      Delete
  2. "Every time my heavenly Father and I spend time together, He gives me a gift. Sometimes it’s a sparkling jewel from His collection. (Don’t all kings have jewel collections?) A gold nugget from His Word, a gemstone of promise, or a sparkling insight into life." Beautiful, Lori!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen. May God's good gifts surround you today :)

      Delete
  3. Posts from dear friends, just like this one and Danielle's "Dancing Shoes" (by Mrs. Diane Virginia), are two that jump out for me this week. Another would be spending the week at home with my wife. Each day unfolds with countless gifts from our good Father; and I am coming to treasure each of them just a bit more with each passing day. Thank you for sharing your gift of little Miss Caroline with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think one of the unexpected delights of growing a bit older (just a bit) is that we begin, as God's Word describes, "to number our days." This helps us hold even the simplest joys to heart and not take a one for granted. God is so good to us.

      Delete
    2. Well, replied, Lori. Yes, as we age, we do "number our days" more. Such greater insight comes!

      Delete

Did this devotion speak to you? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Leave a comment below and join the conversation.