Monday

Count Them One by One -- A Guest Post by J.D. Wininger

Today I'm pleased to introduce you to J.D. Wininger, one of my favorite bloggers. J.D. has a heart as big as Texas, so it's a good thing he lives there. He loves his ranch, his critters, but most of all, his Savior. Pull up a chair, pour yourself a cup of coffee (or tea), and let J.D. remind us of something we all tend to forget. And when you're done, leave a kind comment for J.D.

Count Them One by One


Standing at the window, I take a sip from my third cup of coffee. 



Finally. It’s light enough. 

As dawn breaks each morning, before I don my boots, hat, and jacket, I count cow butts. First one pasture, then the next. It’s not a glamorous job, especially when you consider that cattle don’t use toilet paper (good thing these days), but it’s a necessary one. I tell myself it’s inventory control. 

If the count is off in a particular pasture, I need to investigate, especially if an animal is missing in the pasture where I place the expectant mama cows. When birthing is imminent, a mama cow will get away by herself and hide. It’s an instinctual thing, just like hiding their newborn calves for the first week of their lives. 

This morning I count the mamas and babies first, then move to another window to get “eyes on” Mavric the bull and my donkeys. I glance at the neighboring pasture too, just to make sure things look right. 

About the time I get to 40, I realize I’m humming one of my favorite old hymns. Count your blessings, name them one by one. Count your many blessings see what God has done

I suspect most of y’all know what happened next. Yep, the waterworks turned on. 

Standing there, I realized I wasn’t taking inventory, I was counting my blessings. 

Each animal here at the Cross-Dubya is a blessing. Like my family members, God has entrusted each one’s care to me. I don’t take this responsibility lightly. 

Perhaps that’s why I’m up each day before dawn, preparing to take care of all the blessings God has given me. Maybe it’s why I pray as I stand watch over them each morning. 

Philippians 4:8 reminds me, “Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things” (Philippians 4:8, NKJV). 

In these quiet moments, when it’s just me, the cows, and God, it’s easy to count my blessings. 

As the day progresses, emails, phone calls, and problems elbow their way in. I find it more difficult to recognize all the good things God has given me. Satan takes great delight in disrupting our thoughts and taking our minds off of the good and godly things we should make central in our lives. 

With all this pandemic hoo-ha and political posturing going on, he must be having a field day with many of us. 

 All too often, I find that our human lives take precedence over our spiritual lives. Living only in the day and dealing with current challenges can and will take our focus off our future. 

The result? We set aside our joy and hope in Christ. We focus on our problems instead of counting our blessings. We forget we are sojourners, passing through this temporary life on the way to a better reality. 

One way I combat this tendency is to spend a few minutes before I close my eyes at night thanking God for each blessing I’ve received throughout my day. Most are living beings, not material things. 

My wife, friends, and others I’ve interacted with during my day. The land and animals God allows me to care for, and, yes, tangible things like not getting the tractor stuck in the mud hole or not getting knocked to the ground by the bull when I wasn’t paying attention. 

When I do this, I can fall asleep knowing I’ve taken a few minutes to say thank You to the One who is most deserving, the One from whom all blessings flow (James 1:17). 

What changes to your routine can you make to help you count your blessings more than your trials? During this challenging time, I hope each of us will take a few minutes each day to stand in God’s presence. Let’s spend some time sharing with Him our thanks for all He is, all He gives, and all He does. 


J.D. Wininger is an award-winning writer and speaker who teaches compelling lessons in faith and writes heartfelt devotionals and books to glorify God. He has written for national magazines, CBN.com, Lighthouse Bible Studies, and contributed to several books. When not working his Texas ranch, He and his wife Diane share God’s love in surrounding communities. To read more from J.D., visit his website: https://jdwininger.com/





Does Your Faith Need 
Refreshing?

That's in the Bible? I've never noticed that before!

It's probably been too long since you've newly discovered a story that speaks to your soul or a verse that pops with truth. But that's about to change!



Refresh Your Faith contains 66 culturally relevant, story-driven devotions, one from each book of the Bible. Each real-life story spotlights an unusual verse or Bible passage that you may have overlooked in your usual Bible reading. Lori Hatcher challenges you with additional features like an uncommon thought to ponder; an unusual faith action step; and an unfamiliar passage suggestion for additional Bible reading.

When the fabulous has become familiar and your quiet times are more like nap times, it's time to step out of spiritual boredom and ignite the spark that will keep you growing. No matter where you are on your faith journey, Lori's conversational and engaging style will challenge you to think about things you've never thought about before.

“Real-life inspiration and candid wit. These 5-minute devotions will change your life.” —Psychologist and best-selling author Dr. Kevin Leman, commenting on Lori Hatcher's devotional style




Are you hungry for God, but starving for time? 
I’d love to send you a 5-minute e-mail devotion twice a week to start your day off with the Lord. 

Sign up for a free subscription to Hungry for God by CLICKING HERE.

Then, be sure to VALIDATE the confirmation email you receive. 

Note: I promise never to spam you or share your email address.









12 comments:

  1. Thank you because this article has reminded me to always be grateful. How ashamed I am, eating and drinking God gives, but rarely grateful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How right you are Kedy. We eagerly accept the gifts and often forget to thank the Giver. J.D.'s message challenged me, too, to be ever-mindful of God's goodness.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the blessing of being able to share with your wonderful friends and followers Ms. Lori. I am most grateful for your kindness, encouragement, and fellowship young lady. I pray this post helps someone today. God's blessings ma'am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome, J.D. It's a privilege to share your wise words with the HFG readers today. Be blessed!

      Delete
  3. I truly enjoy reading J.D.'s messages. The descriptions J.D. gives makes me feel like I am right there on the farm, watching the beauty of God's creations. I'm counting my blessings, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a master at placing us right there on the ranch, isn't he, Melissa? It's a treat to vicariously visit the Cross Dubya.

      Delete
  4. Thank you, J.D. You're such a blessing wherever you show up on the blogosphere. :-) Yes, to this: "During this challenging time, I hope each of us will take a few minutes each day to stand in God’s presence. Let’s spend some time sharing with Him our thanks for all He is, all He gives, and all He does."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And we have so much to be thankful for. Shame on us for forgetting. I want to be the one leper who went back to thank Jesus, not the nine to rushed away . . .

      Delete
  5. As you clearly pointed out, J.D., even when we express gratitude in the morning, daily challenges “elbow their way in” and distract us. Thank you for the suggestion to set aside time during the day to count the blessings our heavenly Father provides. As always, I enjoyed this lesson from the ranch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love the suggestion to begin and end each day with thanks. This helps us center our thoughts on God's goodness not on what we wish were different.

      Delete
  6. Beautifully written, J.D.! God calls us just to live simply and steadfastly faithful to Him. It reminds me of Psalm 5:3 "In the morning, O LORD, You will hear my voice; In the morning I will order {my} {prayer} to You and {eagerly} watch."
    Kind of makes me wish I had cows to count each morning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this, Vicki. My translation says, "I present my requests to you and wait in anticipation." What a beautiful picture of total trust in a good God who loves to give good gifts to His children!

    ReplyDelete

Did this devotion speak to you? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Leave a comment below and join the conversation.