Sunday

Can These Bones Live? Hope for Our Unsaved Loved Ones


“Son of man, can these bones live?” 

To Ezekiel, surrounded by a valley of dried bones, God’s question seemed . . . absurd. 

Heart-wrenching and hopeless. 

Maybe even cruel. 

I’ve stood at the bedside and caskets of dead loved ones. If anyone had asked me, “Can these bones live?” I would have answered as Mary did long ago, “‘I know he will rise again in the resurrection,’ But not now. He’s dead” (John 11:24). 

Ezekiel wasn’t sitting beside a deceased loved one or standing by the coffin of someone who had passed away. He was surrounded by a vast expanse of beyond-dead bones—bones that had laid there so long they were one footfall away from dust. And yet God asked, “Can these bones live?” 

Ezekiel, faith-filled prophet and priest that he was, answered God’s question in a way that defied the obvious and left room for a miracle. 

“Sovereign Lord, you alone know” (Ezekiel 37:3). 

How many times have you looked at a loved one or a friend and seen what Ezekiel saw—a valley of dry bones? Not physical bones like those that littered the plains of Ezekiel’s vision, but spiritual ones? Dry bones that housed a soul running hard away from God and in danger of disintegrating when the next crisis came? 

How often have you cried over, prayed for, begged, and witnessed to someone you love who seemed determined to march straight into eternity separated from God? How many times have you stopped praying, thinking there was no hope, only to shoulder the prayer burden again, clinging to the knowledge that it’s not God’s will that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance? 

With rare exception, physical resurrection belongs to the realm of the miraculous, but spiritual resurrections happen all the time. 

The apostle Paul was one. His spiritual bones, though zealous and religious, were deader than dead. “For you have heard of my previous way of life in Judaism, how intensely I persecuted the church of God and tried to destroy it” (Galatians 1:13-14). 

Yet the God he blasphemed called his name. Rebuked him for his sin. Filled him with faith. And breathed spiritual life into his soul. Paul passed from death to life in a transformation so glorious he never stopped talking about it. 

Unlike Paul, I had no religious cloak to cover my spiritually dry bones. I was lost without pretense or hope. I couldn’t claim, as he did, that I was seeking to please God. I was seeking to please myself. I was number one, and there was no number two. 

Yet, to borrow from Paul’s testimony in Galatians 1:15, God, “set me apart from my mother’s womb and called me by his grace.” 

God’s been breathing life into dry bones for millennia. He began with Adam. Then He plucked Abraham out of the pagan land of the Chaldees, and made of him a great nation. 

He chose David from the sheep folds and transformed him into a man after his own heart. He plucked Josiah, a tiny boy of eight, and Methuselah, an aged man of centuries and made them compatriots in the vast army of believers. 

He’s summoned into life the dry bones of princesses and prostitutes, drug addicts and doctors. No heart is too hard, and no sin too great for God’s breath to resurrect. Over and over again I’ve seen him replace hearts of stone with hearts of flesh, transforming haters of God into lovers of God. 

If someone you care about looks like a pile of spiritually dry bones, and you wonder if they could ever live, I invite you to stand in the valley with Elijah. Lift your eyes from the dead bones to the living Savior and say in faith and hope, “Sovereign Lord, you alone know.” 

“And as I was prophesying, there was a noise, a rattling sound, and the bones came together, bone to bone. I looked, and tendons and flesh appeared on them and skin covered them, but there was no breath in them. 

“Then he said to me, ‘Prophesy.’ So I prophesied as he commanded me, and breath entered them; they came to life and stood up on their feet—a vast army” (Ezekiel 37:7-10). 

Unlike Elijah, we can’t command spiritual life into anyone, but we can ask God to work. 

I invite you today—will you join me, in faith and trust, and invite the Lord God to breathe life into our loved ones’ souls? May we live to see God raise up a vast army of Jesus followers from the dry bones of those we love, for their good, and for His glory. Amen. 



Are you hungry for God, but starving for time? 
I’d love to send you a 5-minute e-mail devotion twice a week to start your day off with the Lord. 

Sign up for a free subscription to Hungry for God by CLICKING HERE.
Then, be sure to VALIDATE the confirmation email you receive. 

Note: I promise never to spam you or share your email address.

Because busy women need to connect with God in the craziness of everyday life.




8 comments:

  1. The key words in your post, for me, were "hope" and "God." If our hope remains in God, the good Father and Creator of all, then He alone has the power to act. I accept the concept of predestination, and this applies to our loved ones also. Yet I also know the power of faith and being tenacious in prayer. I've watched it happen in my own family. I've watched it happen within myself. It is in that hope that I've stood over the lifeless of remains of loved ones and prayed one last prayer that only God knows their last thoughts and desires. Until that day, my hope remains that I will share eternity with them. God's blessings for this encouraging post Ms. Lori.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, J.D. God wouldn't call us to pray if it had no effect. I suspect, in his mercy and love, he allows us the privilege of partnering with him in prayer as he does his transformational work so we can share just a slice of his joy when a lost one comes home. Blessings to you this day as you press on in faith, knowing you'll reap a harvest one day.

      Delete
  2. I have people who I prayed would turn to God. Sometimes my prayers were answered in the way I hoped and other times, only God knew the answer. I continue to pray for all to have a relationship with God. Even if I don't know the outcome, I will continue to pray. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed, Melissa, while there is breath, there is hope. I, too, have prayed for years without seeing the outcome, but I know God, who doesn't will anyone to perish, will give my loved ones every chance they need to place their faith in Him. I find great comfort in this. Sending a hug today.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous12:24 AM

    The story about Elijah was comforting to me. I've seen non-believers approached in the wrong way - nagged and pestered about coming to Jesus - and it only made things worse. I feel that I can only pray for those who don't believe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are wise to recognize, Robin, that the greatest force for transformation is our prayers. I've found, too, that asking God to bring about natural, gentle opportunities to share my faith is way more productive than barreling in on my own timetable and with my own agenda. I often pray, "Lord, help me know when to speak and when to be silent, when to act and when to pray." Thanks for adding your thoughts to the discussion today :)

      Delete
  4. The dry bones are always around us and also within our day to day life. It is therefore our obligation and we are comanded to pray for divine intervention. The dry bones are fear of the unknown, the way ward family member, the unstablity of political and economic life of our nations. But our God the creator and sustainer of the universe is sure to breathe life on our most horrific issues if we pray pray pray fervently as we are commanded in the holy scripture our only guidance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, friend. Without prayer, we have no hope. Thanks for chiming in today.

      Delete

Did this devotion speak to you? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Leave a comment below and join the conversation.