Sunday

Wrestling with Waves -- When Faith and Fear Collide


In the dead of winter, sometimes it's nice to dream of summer. Today I'm reposting one of my favorite posts, "Wresting with Waves, When Faith and Fear Collide." Winter, Spring, Summer, or Fall, the truths it contains will comfort and encourage you.



Lauren's sandcastle was a beauty. 

Carefully-selected seashells encircled the main building. Four turrets containing imaginary princesses marked the perimeter. A dragon-thwarting moat surrounded it all. My six-year-old granddaughter, Lauren, had spent the better part of an hour creating her masterpiece. 

Stepping back to admire her work, she noticed something she hadn’t seen before—the tide. Reaching toward her creation, the sea’s arms extended then retreated, ominous in their subtle advance. Her back had been turned toward the ocean during construction, so Lauren hadn’t given the water a thought. 

But now the threat was real. 


 Like a superhero squaring off against the enemy, she positioned herself between the sea and her beloved creation. Thrusting her hands toward the advancing waves, she bellowed, “NO!” 

For a moment, the sea slithered away. Then, gathering strength, it rushed forward for another assault. 

“GO BACK” she cried, willing the sea to retreat. The tug of war continued until, with a mighty heave, the ocean roared past her restraining arms and over the castle, sucking the seashells off and drowning the imaginary princesses. 

Crushed by her inability to protect her creation, Lauren hung her head in defeat. 

I’ve often felt like Lauren. Weak in the face of an insurmountable challenge. Frightened by things I can’t control. Threatened by forces too mighty for my feeble strength. Death. Disease. Evil. A prodigal child. A troubled marriage. A challenging work environment. All these and more make us feel powerless and scared. 

Like Lauren, I've wondered if it’s only a matter of time before fearsome waves swallow everything I’ve worked so hard for. 

Lauren isn’t the only one who’s had a tussle with the sea. Jesus’ disciples faced a similar challenge. 

“On the same day, when evening had come, [Jesus] said to them, ‘Let us cross over to the other side.’ And a great windstorm arose, and the waves beat into the boat, so that it was already filling. 

“But He was in the stern, asleep on a pillow. And they awoke Him and said to Him, ‘Teacher, do You not care that we are perishing?’” (Mark 4:35, 37-38). 

Have you ever asked God this question? Wondered if He was asleep? Immune to your struggle? Unconcerned about your suffering and distress? 

Yet even in their terror, the disciples did the right thing—they ran to the One who could save them. 

“Then He arose and rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, ‘Peace, be still!’ And the wind ceased and there was a great calm” (v 38). 

Lauren didn’t have the power to protect her sand castle, nor do we have the power to protect our children, our jobs, our marriages, our possessions, or our positions. 

But God does. 

And we can trust Him to order the circumstances of our lives for our good and for His glory. Whether He quiets the storm, removes it completely, or rides it out in the boat with us, we can trust that He’ll bring us to the other side. 

How do I know? Because He promised. 

As He said to the disciples, so He says to us, “Let us go over to the other side.” 

In His omniscience, He knew there’d be a storm, but storms don’t change His plan. “I’ll carry you over every white-capped wave,” he promised, “hold you when you’re frightened, and sustain you when you have no faith. We will make it to the other side—together.” 

“Why are you so fearful? How is it that you have no faith?” (v 39). 

Lauren learned that day that she was powerless before the mighty force of the ocean. Life’s storms have caused me to realize a similar helplessness. Her attempt gave me the opportunity to remind her of a truth she can cling to all the days of her life. 

“You aren’t strong enough to keep the ocean in its place,” I told her, “but there’s Someone who is. Do you know who He is?” 

“God?” 

“Yep. Aren’t you glad nothing is too hard for Him?

“Yes,” she said, shrugging her shoulders. “But I wish he’d put the ocean a little farther away from my sandcastle.” 




Does Your Faith Need Refreshing? 

Have you committed to read through the Bible this year?

Are you looking for a devotional to go along with your reading?

Refresh Your Faith, Uncommon Devotions from Every Book of the Bible is that book!

That's in the Bible? I've never noticed that before!

It's probably been too long since you've newly discovered a story that speaks to your soul or a verse that pops with truth. But that's about to change!



Refresh Your Faith contains 66 culturally relevant, story-driven devotions, one from each book of the Bible. Each real-life story spotlights an unusual verse or Bible passage that you may have overlooked in your usual Bible reading. Lori Hatcher challenges you with additional features like an uncommon thought to ponder; an unusual faith action step; and an unfamiliar passage suggestion for additional Bible reading.

When the fabulous has become familiar and your quiet times are more like nap times, it's time to step out of spiritual boredom and ignite the spark that will keep you growing. No matter where you are on your faith journey, Lori's conversational and engaging style will challenge you to think about things you've never thought about before.

“Real-life inspiration and candid wit. These 5-minute devotions will change your life.” —Psychologist and best-selling author Dr. Kevin Leman, commenting on Lori Hatcher's devotional style




Are you hungry for God, but starving for time? 
I’d love to send you a 5-minute e-mail devotion twice a week to start your day off with the Lord. 

Sign up for a free subscription to Hungry for God by CLICKING HERE.

Then, be sure to VALIDATE the confirmation email you receive. 

Note: I promise never to spam you or share your email address.


Because busy women need to connect with God in the craziness of everyday life.

















16 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:12 PM

    This post is related to things that I've had to learn regarding anxiety. It is very difficult to accept what we can't control. Working on my relationship with God has helped me the most. Yesterday, I was actually reading the same story about Jesus calming the sea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is very hard to wrestle with our impotence in many areas. I've gained great comfort in knowing that while I'm often powerless, God is not. And he has the power to change hearts, circumstances, and even more mountains (and, of course, calm seas). Thanks for adding thoughtful, insightful content to the conversation, Robin.

      Delete
  2. I am so grateful for a God who brings me with Him to the other side and to safety! I just need to cling to Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, and Amen, Jessica. We need not fear when God is in the boat. I think the only thing that could go wrong in that scenario would be for us to jump ship. May God give us the grace to cling to him.

      Delete
  3. I recently learned that my osteopenia has now turned to osteoporosis. My doctor is prescribing an infusion of Reclast. He shared with me that the infusion would be done at the cancer center. As soon as the doctor mentioned infusion, my thoughts went back to 14 years ago when I went through breast cancer diagnosis, surgery, chemotherapy and radiation. My fears rushed in as I began recalling my tough experience. I prayed and was calmed. I shared my fears with God and my lack of faith in the moment. God comforted me. The infusion will happen in December and I know I will be fine. God will be with me. Nothing is too big for Him. There is no cancer this time, just poor bones. I am thankful for His love and comfort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand that fear, Melissa. I had to have some diagnostic blood tests done, and they referred me to an ONCOLOGIST at the cancer center. Sitting in the waiting area with many brave people battling cancer was so scary. But the Holy Spirit reminded me to "take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ." When I obeyed, the fear went away. He's so good to coach us through those stormy waters when our hearts rush to panic. Blessings to you, friend!

      Delete
  4. So many times in my life Satan has screamed "There's no escape this time! I've got you now." And too many times, I believed his lies and lived in defeat. For me, it was in finally understanding God's lesson in James 1:2-4 that I found a way to overcome the waves. It's in the knowing that even through the waters, God will be with me and I will not be harmed. Many years ago, in the military, I was asked the question many times during training; "Are you in pain or are you injured?" Many think pain is an injury; not so. I am able to move forward with pain where an injury can stop or delay progress. My God does not let the trials of this life injure me. They will cause pain, but it's up to me to determine if they stop me or not. Perhaps that's one of the purposes of our faith. God's blessings; and Happy Thanksgiving Ms. Lori.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said, J.D., and true. Your thoughts remind me of Jesus' words: "Unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it cannot bear much fruit." Dying is painful, whether we're dying physically or dying to ourselves so that God can have control of our lives. Yet the very thing that causes pain also bears fruit a thousand times over. Only God could bring life from death. THanks for joining the conversation, J.D. Happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  5. Isn't it funny Ms. Lori. This post originated (if I remember right) in 2019; yet how appropriate it is for today. As waves of fear, uncertainty, and doubt attempt to overcome us, we must remember that "God can." Thank you for this all-important reminder ma'am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is deep consolation and strength of heart in those two words, J.D. May He glorify Himself as He fulfills his plan and purpose for us all. Thanks for stopping by today, sir!

      Delete
  6. Lori, thank you for reposting this powerful message. How well I identify with Lauren’s futile attempt to hold back the waves. How grateful I am that the One who made the sea holds my hand. He is worthy of our trust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen and amen, Jeannie. We can rest secure with God's mighty hand upon our world. Thanks for stopping by today!

      Delete
  7. Such a good reminder, Lori, that although so much of life is beyond our control, God is with us. This past year has been heartbreaking for so many. I prayed for my husband's healing from cancer, but God had another plan. I felt so helpless, but I know that God has the Master plan. I enjoyed the imagery of your sweet granddaughter fighting the waves. We do that, too, don't we? God is always there to rescue us from the storm--if we surrender to Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Katherine, please accept my most sincere condolences on the loss of your husband. Such a hard and heartbreaking path! My prayer for you is that you will see evidences of Gods love, care, and yes, even good plan even in the midst of your sadness. I'm glad we don't have to figure out what God's doing, we are simply called to trust our Father. Sending a hug today.

      Delete
  8. Teresa3:04 AM

    Loved this! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Teresa, for stopping by today. God's blessings to you!

      Delete

Did this devotion speak to you? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Leave a comment below and join the conversation.