Sunday

When You Don't Want to Share God's Love -- A Confession



"But I, with shouts of grateful praise, will sacrifice to you. What I have vowed I will make good. I will say, ‘Salvation comes from the Lord.’"  Jonah 2:9 

I didn’t know Ed Huntington’s name* until the day he murdered my uncle. Although all three of us lived in the same neighborhood, I’d never met my uncle’s next door neighbor. Until early one September morning. 

An ongoing squabble between the two men escalated. Ed ran into his house, grabbed his gun, kicked down my uncle’s front door, and shot him. Twice in the ankles. Twice in the knees. And once in the heart.  

And he never spent a night in jail. 

He hired a high-powered lawyer who mounted a self-defense case and convinced the jury Ed should be declared innocent of all charges. While Ed resumed his normal life, my family struggled to pick up the pieces of our own. 

We shampooed the blood from the carpet, but nothing could erase the horror from our minds.

Knowing my uncle was dead while his murderer walked free was more than I could bear. Bitterness and hate grew in my heart. Why had he received mercy when he deserved punishment? 

I often think of this dark period in my life when I read the book of Jonah, because Jonah and I were a lot alike. I hated Ed Huntington, and Jonah hated the Ninevites. Both with good cause. 

The Ninevites were Assyrians, long-standing enemies of Israel. A cruel and heartless nation, they would attack neighboring countries, kill all the men and children and rape and take the women captive. The nation had staged several attacks on Israel during Jonah’s day, and it’s possible he had witnessed their brutality. Or lost a family member to one of their assaults. 

So when God called Jonah to go to the people of Ninevah and preach against it, I’m not surprised he said no. No way was he going to warn the Ninevites that if they didn’t repent of their wicked ways, God would judge them. 

He wanted God to judge them. He wanted them to get the punishment they deserved for the evil they had done. He wanted them to suffer like they’d caused others to suffer. 

If the Assyrians spent an eternity burning in hell, it still wouldn’t be long enough. Tell them about God? Oh no. For all he knew, they might repent. And then God, the loving God who is gracious and compassionate, might forgive them. 

Nope. Not happening. 

Jonah bought a one-way ticket on a ship headed for Tarshish and sailed as far away from Ninevah as he could go. 

In the months following my uncle’s death, I grew increasingly bitter against his murderer. One night, unable to sleep, I opened my Bible to the story of the rich man and Lazarus. 

The rich man didn’t appear to be like the Assyrians—like Ed—and yet he was suffering the fires of hell. Ed Huntington deserves to be punished like that, I thought. 

And so do you, the Lord whispered into my heart. 

What? I deserved to be punished? The thought shocked me and caused my spirit to rise up in righteous indignation. I’m not a murderer. I haven’t taken an innocent life. I’m a good person. 

But your sins were just as offensive to me, the Lord said. All have sinned and fallen short of my glory. There are no exceptions. The only difference between you and him is that your sin is covered by the blood of my Son. 

In an instant all my pride, anger, and bitterness crashed down on me. I saw myself as God had seen me so many years ago—lost and wallowing in my sin, desperately in need of a Savior. 

With this realization came God’s call. As God had told Jonah, so God told me—Go and tell. Tell him that the God who had forgiven you was also willing to forgive him. 

My desire for vengeance still lingered, but my desire to obey God was stronger. Knowing it wasn’t wise to knock on a murderer’s front door, I chose to write Ed Huntington a letter. I told him how much his actions had hurt our family and how bitter I had become. “You’ve escaped punishment on this earth,” I wrote, “but one day you’ll stand before God and give an account of your life. Only the mercy of God will spare you from eternal punishment.” 

Then I told him how our gracious and compassionate God had made a way for sinful man to stand before Him without fear of judgment. “Jesus bore our sins in his body on the cross. ‘If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness’ (1 John 1:9). I’ve experienced this forgiveness, and I hope you will too. Because Christ has forgiven me, so I forgive you.” 

Jonah experienced a similar change of heart toward the Ninevites. 

Sloshing around in the fish’s belly for three days and three nights caused him to ponder God’s mercy. Instead of allowing him to drown in the sea, God had sent a great fish to save his life. As the recipient of amazing grace, Jonah promised to extend that same grace to the Ninevites.

“But I, with shouts of grateful praise, will sacrifice to you. What I have vowed I will make good. I will say, ‘Salvation comes from the Lord’” (2:9). 

I don’t know if Ed Huntington came to faith in Christ because of my letter, but I hope he did. I do know that because of Jonah’s obedience all the inhabitants of Ninevah repented and called upon the name of the Lord. And while their repentance didn’t erase the effects of their sin, in some ways, it may have redeemed them. 

Whether we’ve sinned once or a thousand times, in small ways or in great, we’re equally in need of God’s forgiveness. 

Is there someone in your life who has sinned against you or someone you love that you’ve been unable to forgive? Has this unforgiveness hindered you from obeying God in other ways? Talk to God about it. Ponder, as Jonah did, the great sin debt God has erased from your life and how grateful you are for his forgiveness. Think about God’s gracious and compassionate heart. Ask Him to give you this same heart. Commit to extend mercy and forgiveness to others as you have received it. 

*The story is true, but the name is fictitious.



Are you hungry for God, but starving for time? 
I’d love to send you a 5-minute e-mail devotion twice a week to start your day off with the Lord. 

Sign up for a free subscription to Hungry for God by CLICKING HERE.
Then, be sure to VALIDATE the confirmation email you receive. 

Note: I promise never to spam you or share your email address.

Because busy women need to connect with God in the craziness of everyday life.





10 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:46 PM

    What happened to your uncle was awful. This post really spoke to me. You know that my husband and I were victims of a crime recently, and it's currently difficult for me to think about forgiving the people who hurt us. After reading this, maybe I will try to write to them, if they are caught.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin,
      As I shared in the devotion above, forgiving that man went against everything my emotions and heart wanted to do. But I couldn't escape the fact that God had forgiven me for many, many sins against him -- freely, graciously, unconditionally. How could I withhold it from someone else?

      As J.D. says so well in the comment below, forgiveness doesn't deny the hurt, pain, and wrong a person has done. It means we give up our right to punish the person and trusts God, who is all-wise, all-knowing, and just, to mete out perfect judgment. We can trust Him, whether the people who sin against us are caught (as our offender was), jailed, or appears to "go free."

      Regardless of how the events play out on this earth, God will do what is best and right in eternity.Choosing to forgive is acknowledging and trusting him to do that.

      I encourage you not to wait until your offenders are caught to write your letter. Write it before God, who is intimately aware of what you're struggling with in the deepest part of your heart and soul. Tell him all your hurt and pain and anger and other justifiable emotions and then give them to him. Ask him to give you the power to forgive and the faith to trust him to do what is right.

      As we extend undeserved forgiveness, we become more and more like Christ. And God begins to do a miracle in our own hearts -- as J.D. says below, little by little (or sometimes suddenly) he removes the pain of our experiences and our memories and allows us to walk in spiritual freedom. What a marvelous, miraculous gift. It's the only way we can move forward after an experience like mine and like yours. I'm so glad you are seeking the Lord in this season. He is near.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous10:41 PM

      This comment helped me a lot. Thank you very much, Lori.

      Delete
  2. Such an important lesson here Ms. Lori. Like you, I've seen some pretty horrific things in my life. Unlike you, I've dome some of these things. In time, God has taught me that Forgiving and Forgetting is not the same. Forgiveness is the intentional act of removing the claim of judgment you have on another. Forgetting is an involuntary action that "creeps up on you." What I know is that in forgiving, God removes the pain from the memories. I still remember many things that happened in my life, but because I've forgiven them as God teaches us, the memories are no longer painful ones. The adage of "Time heals all wounds." is a truism, but you must preface it with "Once forgiveness is given..." Among my most precious memories is knowing that I was once as covered in sin and the filth of this world as anyone; and Christ still died for me. Well said young lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:46 PM

      This comment is also very helpful to me. Many people seem to think that forgiveness and forgetting are the same - you pretend that it never happened. But sometimes we need to learn lessons and be cautious because of what happened...even if we don't want revenge.

      Delete
  3. How true it is, J.D., that when we obey him and forgive, he sets us free. Free from anger, bitterness, sleepless nights, churning stomachs, and all the other negative results of unforgiveness. He doesn't remove the memories, because there is good he can bring forth from them to help us help others. But he does soften the harsh edges and the pain that accompany them. Great is his faithfulness.

    Our willingness to obey him and trust him, even when we don't feel like it, is the key that unlocks and frees our hearts. As with other things that seemed way too hard for me to do in my own strength, I've had to pray, "Lord, I don't want to do this, but I know you're calling me to do it. You're going to have to give me the strength, cause I can't do this on my own." Wonder of wonders, he steps in and empowers us to do the hard things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not know about this. How sad and heartbreaking. Thank you for sharing. While reading this message, I am reminded of people I have a hard time forgiving. There are three people that continually did things to hurt my family. Those people are no longer alive and I don't know if they came to truly know the Lord or not. I have prayed and asked God to help me forgive them. God has definitely softened my heart. I am still working on forgiving. I am thankful God has patience with me and thankful He is guiding me in the path of forgiveness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Melissa. I'm thankful, too, that he is always at work in our hearts and in our lives. He shines his holy spotlight into our hearts and points out anything there that could harm us or others. But we have to cooperate with him when he brings these things to our attention. Sometimes I'd rather turn away and pretend they're not there, but that isn't helpful or healthy. Thanks for reading and for joining the conversation today.

      Delete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear you've been through such a horrific experience. Now you're turning it into a message millions will hear. God always has the last word, even in the evil things of this world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AMen, Ellen. Like Joseph said, "You meant it for evil, but God meant it for good." May he redeem all our heartaches when we surrender them to him. Thanks for joining the conversation today.

      Delete

Did this devotion speak to you? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Leave a comment below and join the conversation.