Monday

Trusting God in the Faith Dance

The ballerina twirled, skipped, and leapt across the darkened stage, captivating the audience who sat mesmerized before her. The music swelled as she paused, inhaling deeply. On cue, she launched herself across the stage toward her waiting partner. Strong hands grasped her waist, raised her high overhead, and returned her to earth, a delicate feather coming to rest after its flight. 

Arms raised in triumph, she smiled, accepting the applause that rose from the watching crowd. 

Seated in the third row, I felt the air leave my lungs. I’d been holding my breath, wondering if the ballerina’s partner would catch her during this all-important grand finale. 

Sometimes I am that ballerina. 

I’ve never studied ballet, but I’ve been dancing for more than 35 years. I’ve never strapped on toe shoes, nor have I worn a tutu. But I’ve been learning to move in harmony and partnership with the Savior who gives life and breath to every move I make. 

As a new believer, my faith steps were tentative. Could I trust this Partner I’d pledged my life to? When I turned to him in times of fear, despair, or confusion, would he remain by my side? When I followed his lead on unfamiliar paths, would he prove to be trustworthy? Committed to my good? Wise? 

My faltering steps became surer as my Partner proved, over and over again, his commitment to me. When I cried out to him in times of need, his generous hand sustained me. During periods of sorrow or grief, he became my ever-present comfort. When I felt lonely or abandoned, his still, small voice whispered truth into my ears, assuring me I wasn’t alone. 

The longer I’ve danced with my Savior, the more trustworthy I found him to be. Step by step, routine after routine, set after set, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob has become the God of Lori Hatcher, too. Faithful. Ever-present. Unchanging. 

Over the years, day to day opportunities to trust have become routine. Other situations, however, still cause me to hold my breath. Big issues call for big trust – trust that commands both feet to leave the ground, confident that the One who has proven faithful will not let me fall. 

Like the ballerina preparing for her grand finale, sometimes I must pause, take my position, and launch. Full speed. No hesitation. No turning back. Every time I’ve done so, God has caught me. Not for my glory, but for his. 

“And without faith it is impossible to please God,” the writer of Hebrews tells us, “because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him” (Hebrews 11:6). 

I don’t know what you’re facing right now. A frightening diagnosis? A broken relationship? A financial trial? Maybe you’re gazing into an uncertain future or watching a dream die. 

Whatever lies ahead of you, choose faith. Don’t be afraid to launch yourself into the arms of our great and loving God.

He will catch you. 

Every. Single. Time. 

“I lift up my eyes to the hills – where does my help come from? My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth. He will not let your foot slip” (Psalm 121-1-3).



Does Your Faith Need Refreshing?

That's in the Bible? I've never noticed that before!

It's probably been too long since you've newly discovered a story that speaks to your soul or a verse that pops with truth. But that's about to change!



Refresh Your Faith contains 66 culturally relevant, story-driven devotions, one from each book of the Bible. Each real-life story spotlights an unusual verse or Bible passage that you may have overlooked in your usual Bible reading. Lori Hatcher challenges you with additional features like an uncommon thought to ponder; an unusual faith action step; and an unfamiliar passage suggestion for additional Bible reading.

When the fabulous has become familiar and your quiet times are more like nap times, it's time to step out of spiritual boredom and ignite the spark that will keep you growing. No matter where you are on your faith journey, Lori's conversational and engaging style will challenge you to think about things you've never thought about before.

“Real-life inspiration and candid wit. These 5-minute devotions will change your life.” —Psychologist and best-selling author Dr. Kevin Leman, commenting on Lori Hatcher's devotional style




Are you hungry for God, but starving for time? 
I’d love to send you a 5-minute e-mail devotion twice a week to start your day off with the Lord. 

Sign up for a free subscription to Hungry for God by CLICKING HERE.

Then, be sure to VALIDATE the confirmation email you receive. 

Note: I promise never to spam you or share your email address.


Because busy women need to connect with God in the craziness of everyday life.








5 comments:

  1. THIS IS ONE OF MY MOST TRULY LOVED DEVOTION. IT TRULY EXPRESS THE WAY GOD LOVE MAKE ME FEEL 💯❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so thankful my simple words touched your heart. Thanks for reading and reaching out.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous10:47 AM

    Wish I could throw my son to him to catch. How does a parent keep faith and joy when their child is slowly killing himself for the past 10 years with alcoholism? Faith is dwindling, joy is fleeting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, friend. So hard. But don't give up. Lay that man onto Jesus' altar and leave him there. Nothing is too hard for God. God has been so faithful to bring both my daughter and son-in-law to the Lord after many prodigal years. I'm asking him to do the same for your prodigal. Don't give up. While there is breath, there is hope.

      Delete
  3. Oh my Ms. Lori. What a beautiful mind picture you created. I couldn't help but think of how many times, especially when my faith was immature (of which it still is in some ways) that I could picture God inviting me to place my feet on top of his as He led me across the room; teaching me the tentative first steps of faith in Him. I can't help but see Pastor David doing the same thing with your little girls those many years ago. Our good, good Father leads us along the path in our journey in faith. God's blessings ma'am.

    ReplyDelete

Did this devotion speak to you? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Leave a comment below and join the conversation.