Wednesday

Clinging to Faith in the Waiting

Remember  how long it took for Christmas to come when you were a child? 

Beginning with Thanksgiving, the excitement would build. Decorations would appear in stores. Then lights popped up around town, draped in trees like fairy necklaces. Mouth-watering smells wafted out of neighbors’ kitchens. Christmas trees strapped to station wagon roofs rolled by like a parade. 


Dad would finally drag the family tree out of the attic and set it up in the living room. One by one (or sometimes in clumps) packages would appear under the Christmas tree. Stockings dangled from the mantle like limp balloons waiting for the breath of Christmas to fill them. 

It was a horrible marvelous wait, those childhood seasons of Advent. 

And although my childhood Advents were more glittery than the wait the children of Israel experienced, the delays were holy pauses nonetheless. 

My sisters and I hoped for a bicycle, the latest Barbie doll, or a stocking full of candy, but the children of Israel waited for the greatest gift of all – the Messiah. 

And it had been a very long wait. From the dawn of creation, really. 

“And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel,” God had promised in Genesis 3:15. 

The time between the first messianic promise and its fulfillment was centuries long. Years of glory and years of shame. Times of glorious triumph and times of gut-wrenching tragedy. Moments of fearless faith and moments of faithless fear. 

And then the silence. Four hundred years with no word from God. 


No kingly edict. 

No prophetic visions. 

No holy mandates. 

Just silence. 

And waiting. 

And waiting. 

And waiting. 

Unlike my wait between one Christmas and the next, where the memory of the past season birthed hope and expectation for the next, the Israelites had no memories of their own to carry them through. All they had were their forefathers' stories and the ancient promises that, one day, a Messiah would come. 

“For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government and of peace there will be no end” (Is. 9:6-7). 

Yet during that long silence, and that even longer wait between mankind’s fall and Jesus’ incarnation, God was at work. Preparing a place. Preparing a people. Sending the dreaded Romans to conquer most of the known world. Using them to build an infrastructure that would enable early believers to carry the news of the Gospel to the far corners of the globe. 

And then, in the fullness of time, God sent his Son to save the world. 

In the fullness of time. 

I don’t know what you’re waiting for right now. 

A prodigal child to return? 

A dream to be fulfilled? 

A marriage to be healed? 

A loved one to be saved? 

A relationship to be restored? 

A financial burden to be lifted? 

Whatever it is, don’t assume God’s silence means he’s not working. Cling to faith, for "without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him,” the writer of Hebrews reminds us (11:6). 

On November 22, 2011, I sought God’s face with tears, brokenhearted for a loved one who was far from God. He met me in the pages of his Word and gave me this promise: 

"For I will take you out of the nations; I will gather you from all the countries and bring you back into your own land. I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your impurities and from all your idols. 

“I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws. You will live in the land I gave your forefathers; you will be my people, and I will be your God” (Eze. 36:24-28). 



Under this passage in my Bible I wrote my loved one’s name and the date, claiming the promise for them. I clung to these words through years of inky blackness and deafening silence. 

Last month, seven years later, I wrote another note beneath my original one: 

November 22, 2018 ~ God’s promise fulfilled. Great is thy faithfulness. 

You may be in the middle of a long silence, a time when you wonder if God is at work. Don’t stop praying. Continue to search God’s Word for promises and claim them. Enlist prayer warriors to battle with you. 

Never lose hope. Cling to faith, despite what you see. Believe that, in the fullness of time, God will speak life into the silence that fills your ears. He’ll bring to fruition what he promised. 

And when he does, it will be glorious. 

“He who goes out weeping, carrying seed to sow, will return with songs of joy, carrying sheaves with him” (Psalm 126:6). 

What are you waiting for? I’d be honored to pray for you if you leave a comment below. Reading by email? CLICK HERE to visit Hungry for God online and comment there. 


Dear Hungry for God friends,

I suspect there are quite a few busy women on your Christmas list. Friends, co-workers, fellow church members, and your children's teachers, coaches, and babysitters, to name a few.

If you'd like to give them a gift that will draw them closer to the Lord, encourage them to spend time in God's Word, and think biblically, Hungry for God ... Starving for Time, Five-Minute Devotions for Busy Women is the gift you're looking for.

And what about those friends and loved ones who may not have a relationship with the Lord?

In the last devotion in the book, I share, in a winsome and non-threatening way, what it means to have a relationship with Jesus Christ.

If you give someone you care about a copy of HFG, you'll not only be passing along spiritual encouragement, you'll also be sharing the gospel. Either way, you could change someone's life forever.

And that's what Christmas is all about.




I'm excited to say that
Hungry for God . . . Starving for Time has 112 reviews and a 4.8 star rating on Amazon. It received the Christian Small Publisher Book of the Year award in 2016.

If you live in the Columbia, South Carolina area, I'd love to autograph and personalize copies for your special friends. Email me at LoriAHatcher (at) gmail.com.




  





Are you hungry for God, but starving for time? 
I’d love to send you a 5-minute e-mail devotion twice a week to start your day off with the Lord. 

Sign up for a free subscription to Hungry for God by CLICKING HERE.
Then, be sure to VALIDATE the confirmation email you receive. 

Note: I promise never to spam you or share your email address.

Because busy women need to connect with God in the craziness of everyday life.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Did this devotion speak to you? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Leave a comment below and join the conversation.