Sunday

How Bump Drafting Can Help You Grow Spiritually

If you're looking for a way to grow in your spiritual life, you probably won't search for guidance from a NASCAR race. But strangely enough, God can even use NASCAR to reveal spiritual truth. 



This week I learned about a racing technique called drafting. Drafting occurs when a car follows behind the lead car so closely that it drives in the wind current created by that car. This allows the second car to run at the same speed, but use less fuel. 

In essence, the lead car sucks the second car along in its wind wake. Sometimes a driver will get close enough to bump the lead car, causing both to accelerate. They call this bump drafting

As I thought about this sometimes-controversial racing practice, I realized that drafting is a great technique for Christians—off the roadways, of course. 

As a young Christian, I was fortunate to attend church with women who were older and more mature in the faith. Several took me under their wings and modeled how to rear their children, respect their husbands, and serve the Lord and his people. As I watched them, I learned from their examples. In essence, I was drafting them—following along in their wake and gaining speed from their spiritual energy. 


Now, as a mature believer, I continue to benefit from running my spiritual race in close proximity to other Christians. When I run closely to my friend Maryann, her commitment to pray for and witness to her unsaved loved ones fuels my determination to be a faithful witness. When I run closely to my friend Mandy, her commitment to accomplish every task with excellence fuels my desire to be the best at everything I do. When I run closely to my friend Jean, her commitment to develop her gifts and talents and use them for God’s glory fuels my determination to continue to sharpen and polish my own. 

My friends’ energy and examples suck me along and remind me of the benefits of doing life with other Christians. This is why God ordained the church and encourages us not to “give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching” (Heb. 10:25). 

As we watch others live out their faith, we're inspired and challenged to take our own faith walks more seriously. As Proverbs 27:17 says, “As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.” 

So next time you’re channel surfing and catch a glimpse of a NASCAR race, think about those who are running the faith race ahead of you. Pull up close behind them, share their passion, and follow their example. But don’t forget to look in your rear view mirror at the younger Christians following in your wind current. They need you to set the pace and share the energy and direction God has given you. 

When the checkered flag waves, may we all be able to say, “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith” (2 Tim. 4:7). 

Now it’s your turn. Who have been your mentors and examples? Leave a comment below and share your thoughts. And if you’re reading by email, CLICK HERE to visit Hungry for God online, scroll to the bottom of the post, and leave a comment there.

To encourage you today, here's a beautiful rendition of one of my favorite friend songs, The Servant Song.










Are you hungry for God, but starving for time? 
I’d love to send you a 5-minute e-mail devotion twice a week to start your day off with the Lord. 

Sign up for a free subscription to Hungry for God by CLICKING HERE.
Then, be sure to VALIDATE the confirmation email you receive. 

Note: I promise never to spam you or share your email address.

Because busy women need to connect with God in the craziness of everyday life.




4 comments:

  1. Hi, Lori just thought I'd sharpen your Bible knowledge a bit and let you know the scripture reference is PROVERBS 27:17, and not PSALMS 27:17. there is no psalms 27:17. Blessings, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh! Good catch! Thanks so much!

      Delete
  2. Hi Lori, this is really neat imagery that you've shared. We do need each other as we run the race to heaven. My greatest mentor is my now former pastor (he retired at the end of June). My faith has grown so much under his preaching and teaching, as well as our times we spend one on one.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pastors are mighty influential in so many believers' lives. I ,tooo have bee blessed to learn from a great man of God who will soon be retiring. It's going to be a hard transition, but I know God is planning the next shepherd to lead us on the next leg of our spiritual journey.

      Delete

Did this devotion speak to you? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Leave a comment below and join the conversation.