Wednesday

The Cactus and the Petunia


There’s a spot in my yard I refer to as The Desert. An unfortunate corner on the eastern side of my house, this flower bed sits under both the eaves and a section of gutter that protects my yard from too much water flowing off the roof. Trust me when I say that no rain falls on this patch of earth. 

To add to the barrenness of this cubic yard of dirt, my neighbors tell me the previous owner’s basset hound used to nap there. Regularly. Not surprisingly, everything I’ve planted in this spot dies, usually a slow, painful death. 

In the first year of our home ownership, I planted one of my favorite summer annuals, hot pink, striped petunias. In less than two weeks, despite conscientious hand-watering, they became crunchier than potato chips. 

Then I tried my second-favorite summer flower, impatiens. After three weeks, all that was left were crispy brown clumps that looked more like fire starters than landscaping plants. 

One day a friend visited from Colorado. “I brought some cactus plants from my yard. Would you like them? I’d be glad to plant them if you’ll tell me where.” 

“Sure,” I said doubtfully, “Put them in The Desert.” 

Since I’d given up on that corner of my landscape, I hadn’t given the cactus sprigs much thought until recently, when I happened to glance that way. Imagine my delight when I discovered that not only were the cactus plants still alive, they were flush with new growth. 

What was a dying wasteland to some plants was a glorious sahara to others. Instead of wasting away from lack of water like the tender petunias, the cactus grew tougher and more resistant. Instead of withering in the intense eastern sunlight like the impatiens, the sunnier it got, the more they thrived. At long last, The Desert was no longer barren. 

I learned a lesson from that challenging patch of earth. Instead of accepting that spot for what it was, I tried to make it something it was never meant be. Not only that, I forced my preferences upon it, ignoring (and despising) its unique nature. 

I do this with people sometimes, too. I get impatient with those who don’t act, think, or move as fast as I do. I struggle with people who approach decision-making differently than I. And I can’t imagine why everyone doesn’t see life through my perspective. 

If I’m not careful, I miss the beauty and value of different approaches, perspectives, and methods. I forget that behind the differences that separate us is God’s creative hand making each person unique for his glory and our good. 

What about you? Do you struggle with realizing that different isn’t wrong, just different? Why not join me today in celebrating the marvelous diversity God has placed in our world? Look long and hard at the person in your life whose differences most challenge you. Instead of complaining, ask God to show you the positive side of their differing qualities. 

“For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them” (Eph. 2:10). 

Now it’s your turn. When have you discovered that what you saw as a negative quality actually turned out to be a positive one? Leave a comment below and share your thoughts. If you’re reading by email, CLICK HERE to visit Hungry for God online and comment there.

Here's a fun photo from our 2016 time together.

Next month, I'll be leading a one day seminar at Good Shepherd UM Parish in northwestern Pennsylvania on Saturday, July 14, 2018. 


I'd love, love, LOVE for you to join us if you're anywhere nearby. Two years ago I met readers from Delaware, Ohio, and Pennsylvania in this same location -- how fun was that? We got to learn, worship, and pray together. It was a day-long glimpse of what heaven's going to be like when we're all together. If you're too far away, I'd love to work with your church's women's ministry to put together a one-day or weekend retreat or special women's event. Click on the Speaking Ministry tab to contact me.

Here are all the details about Today You Have Two Choices:

What: One-Day Ladies Seminar
Where:  Brookville, Pennsylvania
When: July 14, 2018
Cost: $35, which includes lunch and a prayer journal
Cost Saver deadline: June 15
How to Register: Contact Kathy Shaffer (814-328-2034)
klshaffer63@windstream.net
gsumc@windstream.net

Three Fantastic Sessions:

Session 1 - Today You Have Two Choices: 
Grumbling or Gratitude
In this hilarious session, Lori shares a story from her life that demonstrates how life can go from cruising to crashing in an instant. We'll examine the two options that usually accompany a crash and see what God's Word (and modern-day research) have to say about them.

Session 2 - Today You Have Two Choices:
Bitterness or Forgiveness
Bitterness, it's said, is like taking poison and waiting for the other person to die. We know it's destructive, yet we often struggle to overcome it. Sometimes we're not even sure we want to. In this powerful session, we'll study two women who made two very different choices, learn from their examples (good and bad), and discover what God can do when we surrender our bitterness to Him.

Session 3 - Today You Have Two Choices:
Fear or Faith
Hebrews 11:6 says, "Without faith it's impossible to please God," yet it's often easier said than done. When the circumstances of life hit us hard, fear often becomes our default setting. How can we resist fear and choose faith instead? Practical and personal, this workshop will lift your eyes beyond your circumstances to see what God can do if you commit your life to wholly trusting Him. This session includes a simple yet profound method to make your Bible reading come alive.
Melissa Sylvis will lead us in worship. 

When you register, please let me know so I can look forward to meeting you!




If you enjoyed this post, why not subscribe? I'll send you twice-weekly 5-minute devotions to help nourish your soul. 
Because women need to connect with God in the craziness of life. 

Enter your email address and VALIDATE the Feedburner email sent to your inbox.



Delivered by FeedBurner


No comments:

Post a Comment

Did this devotion speak to you? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Leave a comment below and join the conversation.