Wednesday

The Only Imperfection in Heaven

Life has a tendency to beat us up. People wound us. Health challenges cripple us. Circumstances leave us battered and bruised. Perhaps this is why my pastor/husband’s statement one Sunday morning echoed in my ears long after he’d moved on to another point in his sermon: 

“The only imperfections in heaven are Jesus’ scars.” 


Remember Jesus, in his resurrected body, appearing before the doubting disciple Thomas? He invited him, "Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe” (John 20:27).

This same Jesus, in a body of supernatural human flesh, walked and talked with his disciples for 40 days before he ascended into heaven, carrying with him the nail holes in his hands and feet and the gash from the spear in his side.

Profound in its exclusivity, this statement, by omission, reveals a great and precious truth: 

If Jesus’ scars are the only imperfections in heaven, then when our turn comes to depart this earth, we will shed the wounds of life like the leathery skin of a reptile, empty and unneeded, because all things will have become new. 

That broken heart? Whole again. 

That sick body? Healed. 

That depressed mind? Tormented no more. 

Those thousand sleepless nights? Resting quietly in the arms of the Savior. 

The wounds of persecution? Erased. 

Jesus, the one who was pierced for our transgressions and crushed for our iniquities, whose punishment brought us peace, and by whose wounds we were healed bears our scars so we won’t have to (Isa. 53:5). 

And one day soon, “he will wipe every tear from (our) eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." 

"I am making everything new!" he says. "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true." (Rev. 21:4-5). 

The apostle Paul understood this. In Romans 8:18 and 21 he said, “I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us. . . . For the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the glorious freedom of the children of God.” 

No scars. No SCARS. NO SCARS! 

But until then, we place our battered and bruised selves into the hands of the One who died for us and wait in hope and trust. We say with Paul, “I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ – the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith. 

“I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead” (Phil. 3:8-11). 

If you’re feeling the pain of your scars and the angst of living in this sin-sick world, take heart. This life is but a vapor. But the next one is forever. 

And in heaven, the only imperfections will be the scars of Jesus. 

Now it’s your turn. Which precious truths of heaven comfort you? Leave a comment below and share your thoughts.



If you enjoyed this post, why not subscribe? I'll send you twice-weekly 5-minute devotions to help nourish your soul. 
Because women need to connect with God in the craziness of life. 

Enter your email address and VALIDATE the Feedburner email sent to your inbox.



Delivered by FeedBurner


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for this, Lori. I've never heard or thought of heaven like this. The thought of there being no trial or wounds to remind us of our suffering on this earth is comforting. Now to remember these things.............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree that it's hard to lose sight of the sweet by and by when we're living in the nasty now and now. I'm thankful God reminds us from time to time :) Blessings to you, friend.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the post, Lori! While driving to the nursing home yesterday, I was asking God for help to find joy or at least a good attitude at one of the saddest and neediest places. I came away with this is a privilege, but your article helped solidify why it is. Plus doesn't Christ minister to the unlovely 24/7? Thanks for the encouragement!! Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Kim, visiting my granny in the nursing home was sometimes the hardest part of my day. I write about it here: https://lori-benotweary.blogspot.com/2014/11/why-im-glad-granny-didnt-kill-herself.html With every visit, though, God did something in my heart and yes, He often met me there. So glad he used my simple words to encourage you today :)

      Delete

Did this devotion speak to you? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Leave a comment below and join the conversation.