Sunday

What to Do When Life Gets Scary

I’ve always found lizards fascinating. Here in South Carolina, I often see bright green anoles sunning themselves on a rail or climbing the screens of my back porch. I admire their bright colors, especially when they puff up their colorful necks. They look like they’ve swallowed a tiny pink balloon. 

My favorite 3-year-old, Lauren, also finds them interesting. She spotted one the other day when we were puttering around the backyard. 


“Gigi, catch him!” she said. “I want to hold him.” 

“I don’t want to catch him!" I said. "I don’t like the way their claws feel on my skin. You catch him.” 

Eyeing the stringy amphibian warily, she considered it for a moment, then shook her head. 

“We need a daddy,” she pronounced. 

"Yes,” I agreed. “We need a daddy.” 

I thought of Lauren’s words recently. Sometimes I, too, come face to face with something scary or intimidating. My courage falters, and I realize I don’t have the wherewithal to handle it myself. That’s when I call on my daddy—my heavenly father who promises never to leave me or forsake me. My champion, defender, and wise counselor—and maybe even my lizard-catcher. 


Psalm 145:18 tells me, “The LORD is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth. He fulfills the desires of those who fear him; he hears their cry and saves them.” 

I’ve never encountered a situation too big, too complex, or too scary for my heavenly father. With limitless resources and mighty strength, he is always ready and willing to help. 

King David experienced God’s willingness to help, and we can too. Listen to his words in 2 Samuel 22:7: 

“In my distress I called upon the LORD, and cried to my God: and he did hear my voice out of his temple, and my cry did enter into his ears.” 

If you’re facing something scary or intimidating today, I hope you’ll realize, like my little Lauren did, that you need a daddy. Claim the promise of Psalm 145:18. Recognize that the Lord is near. Call upon him. Watch for his answer. You will not be disappointed. 

Now it’s your turn. Has there been a time when you’ve encountered a situation too big to handle on your own, and you cried out to God? How did he answer you?



If you enjoyed this post, why not subscribe? I'll send you twice-weekly 5-minute devotions to help nourish your soul. 
Because women need to connect with God in the craziness of life. 

Enter your email address and VALIDATE the Feedburner email sent to your inbox.



Delivered by FeedBurner


No comments:

Post a Comment

Did this devotion speak to you? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Leave a comment below and join the conversation.