Sunday

How Do We Magnify the Lord?

When the theological clouds part, and I finally understand something that has plagued me for years, it’s a good day. Last Sunday was a good day. 

My pastor, who is also my husband, was warming up for his sermon. Like a batter in the batter’s box, he was tossing a few spiritual pitches to his listening congregation. One of those lobs was Psalm 34:3: 

“O magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt his name together.” 

Without knowing, he’d tossed me a theological curve ball. A conundrum of sorts. This verse has always bugged me. How, I’ve wondered, can mere mortals magnify the God of the universe? 

God is loftier than the highest heavens. He is wiser than the most learned teacher. He is more powerful than the greatest army. He embodies every characteristic we desire but fall woefully short of. He is faithful, kind, patient, tender, creative, loving, and just. He is everything we are not, and he never sleeps, falters, or fails. How can I magnify God? How can I make him any bigger than he already is? 

And then, as if he was reading my thoughts (which I’ve heard pastors can do), my husband said the words that parted the curtain of my understanding. “A magnifying glass doesn’t make an object bigger. It just brings it closer so others can see it better.” 

That’s it. When I share how God has answered my prayers, met my needs, and cleansed my sin-sick soul, I bring God closer so others can see him better. And that's what I want to do more than anything else. 

How about you? What are some ways you can magnify God so others can see him better? Leave a comment in the box below and share your thoughts. If you're reading by email, click HERE to visit Hungry for God online, scroll to the bottom of the post, and leave a comment.







HOT OFF THE PRESS: FREE Bible Study Guide and Small Group Discussion Questions! Did you know there is a FREE Bible study guide and discussion questions to accompany the Hungry for God...Starving for Time devotional? Click the link in the right-hand side bar to download your copy. Now you'll have everything you need to use Hungry for God as the basis for your next small group Bible study.




Are you hungry for God, but starving for time? 
I’d love to send you a 5-minute e-mail devotion twice a week to start your day off with the Lord. 

Sign up for a free subscription to Hungry for God by CLICKING HERE.

Then, be sure to VALIDATE the confirmation email you receive. 

Note: I promise never to spam you or share your email address.



Because busy women need to connect with God in the craziness of everyday life.






4 comments:

  1. I like that example, Lori, of the magnifying glass. I know the only way my small mortal self can magnify God is to let Him be magnified in my life. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Barbara. You're absolutely right. Thanks for chiming in today. May God continue to glorify himself through you.

      Delete
  2. I love it when we can tie everyday things, like a magnifying glass, into life with God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing how God reveals himself to us in the simplest of things, isn't it? Every word is a word picture. So glad you enjoyed "magnify" today.

      Delete

Did this devotion speak to you? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Leave a comment below and join the conversation.