Thursday

Last words are precious

Last words are precious.

Visiting at a family member’s bedside at the end of a long illness, I watched the tender hugs, tears, laughter, and the carefully chosen words she exchanged with family members and friends in that sacred place.

There was a lot of reminiscing. “Remember when we . . .” would spark a lively skip down memory lane. Although she didn’t say much, her eyes smiled. Ours did, too, though oftentimes, when she wasn’t looking, we’d turn away to blink back tears.

There was business that needed to be taken care of. “Make sure you make my house payment. Don’t forget my check to the church. Take care of each other.”

The words I heard most often at her bedside, though, were words we don’t hear often enough. “I’m sorry. Will you forgive me? I love you.”

I’m grateful God gave us precious time to say everything that was important before we said goodbye. Not everyone has this privilege.

If someone precious to you died today, what would you wish you had said?

Would you wish you had told her how much you appreciate her? Would you regret not calling or visiting him more often? Would you yearn to ask forgiveness and make things right? Would you wish you could tell her you love her one more time?

Thankfully, we don’t have to wait for deathbed vigils to say and do the right things. Healing, reconciliation, and affirmation are just a phone call or visit away.

If there’s something you’ve left unsaid for far too long, why not do something about it today? Someday you’ll be glad you did.




If you enjoyed this post, why not subscribe? I'll send you twice-weekly 5-minute devotions to help nourish your soul. 
Because women need to connect with God in the craziness of life. 

Enter your email address and VALIDATE the Feedburner email sent to your inbox.



Delivered by FeedBurner



No comments:

Post a Comment

Did this devotion speak to you? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Leave a comment below and join the conversation.