Thursday

Why You Want to Marinate and Meditate, Part II

In Why You Want to Marinate and Meditate Part I,  I shared two ways for Christians to meditate: 

1. Meditate on what God says (his Word), and 

2. Meditate on what God has done (his works). 

Unlike Eastern meditation, which involves emptying our minds, Christian meditation involves directing our minds to think on spiritual things. 

Today I'd like to share a final way to meditate, four ways to incorporate meditation into your daily routine, AND my favorite marinade recipe.

3. Meditate on who God is. 

Revelation 1:13-16 shows us how God revealed himself to the apostle John while he was meditating. 

“. . . among the lampstands was someone "like a son of man," dressed in a robe reaching down to his feet and with a golden sash around his chest. His head and hair were white like wool, as white as snow, and his eyes were like blazing fire. His feet were like bronze glowing in a furnace, and his voice was like the sound of rushing waters. In his right hand he held seven stars, and out of his mouth came a sharp double-edged sword. His face was like the sun shining in all its brilliance.” 

As we meditate on God’s attributes and qualities, we gain a greater understanding of our wonderful Savior. Something as simple as reciting a list of God’s qualities will help put our fear, trouble, and doubt in proper perspective. When we remind ourselves that God is longsuffering, merciful, slow to anger, abounding in love, just, kind, all-powerful, wise, creative, generous . . . and on and on and on. . . . we realize he is wonderfully equipped to care for us. 

In closing, let me remind you that we can have the best marinade in the world, but if it stays in the fridge and never touches our meat, it is useless. Therefore, just KNOWING we should meditate does us no good unless we actually DO it. 

Here are 4 steps to incorporate the discipline of meditation into your day: 

1. Choose one verse of Scripture. 

2. Print it on an index card or type it into your smart phone and carry it with you or post it in a prominent place. 

3. Read the verse aloud several times a day. 

4. Think about it. Ask yourself questions about it. If it’s a promise to claim, claim it for a specific situation in your life right now. If it’s a principle to apply, figure out how it applies to you. If it’s a warning to heed, take note of this also. THEN, walk in light of what you’re meditating on. 

One day last week I chose to meditate on Romans 8:32. 

He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all-- how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? 

Thinking on this verse all day changed my outlook on several areas of my life and made me appreciate all God has done for me.  It reminded me of God's great love for me as demonstrated by Christ's death on the cross.

I hope you’ll accept my challenge. Meditate/marinate in God’s Word daily, and you’ll not only become a more tender Christian, you’ll also become a more palatable one. 

If you take the challenge, leave a comment below and share what verse or passage of Scripture on which you’ve chosen to meditate. I’d love to hear from you. And as a bonus, here’s my favorite marinade recipe. Enjoy! 



To subscribe, sign up below & VALIDATE the Feedburner email sent to your inbox.
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner











Hungry for God is on Facebook! Will you take a moment and LIKE my page? CLICK HERE to help HFG share 5-minute devotions.
 

 

 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Lori! I accept the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good job, Jennifer! Come back and tell me how it goes. I'm confident you'll notice a change.

      Delete
  2. Positivity.
    It induces to maintain a more positive attitude towards life, accepting and facing your day-to-day challenges, even the most difficult ones, as part of your continuous

    process of personal growth, decreasing the propensity for negativity.

    ReplyDelete

Did this devotion speak to you? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Leave a comment below and join the conversation.