Thursday

Not Chosen


Have you ever been the last person chosen?

I have.

It was during 6th grade PE class. We were choosing teams for softball, and Cathy, the prettiest, most popular, and most athletic girl was one of the captains (of course--chosen by the teacher). As she and the other captain sized up the class and began selecting their teams, I was passed over time and time again. 

Skinny, with glasses and long gangling arms and legs, I certainly didn't exude athletic prowess. To Cathy's relief, there was an odd number of players, and I was chosen last by the other team captain. I could almost hear her sigh of relief at being spared the embarrassment of having me on her team

I was assigned to right field--the spot on the field that seldom sees any action. Most balls are hit into left field by right-handed hitters, so I'm sure my captain thought it was the safest place for the player least likely to succeed. After all, if a ball never came my way, I certainly couldn't miss a catch, right?

She forgot one very important fact.

Cathy was a left-handed hitter.

As she stepped up to the plate and oriented her body toward right field, I could see her triumphant, confident grin. She knew she consistently hit the ball into right field. She also knew that I was the only player standing between her and at least a double, maybe even a home run.

I could hear my captain's groan as she realized her fatal error.

Cathy confidently raised her bat, the pitcher released the ball, and she connected with a loud crack, sending the ball straight toward  me.

More out of self-defense than anything else, I stuck the glove in front of my face, closing my eyes until I felt the sharp thwack of the softball hitting my glove. I opened my eyes to the open-mouthed look of disbelief on Cathy's face and the cheers of my teammates.

It was a grand and glorious moment.

The next day in PE class, Cathy picked me first.

You may feel like I did on that first day of PE class. You may feel sorely lacking in skills, personality, or giftedness. You may look around you at others who seem to be everything you are not and feel passed over. If you do, God has some words of encouragement for you.

"Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth.  But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things-- and the things that are not-- to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before Him" 1 Corinthians 1:26-30.

If you are feeling foolish, weak, lowly, or despised, take heart. God has chosen you for both His kingdom and for His work.

Welcome to the team!


Many thanks to my friend Mandy, who reminded me of this truth just when I needed to hear it :)




You want to connect with God, but in the craziness of life, it’s just not happening. You want practical, biblical answers to situations you face every day, but you don’t have hours to pore over Scripture.

You need a resource that answers the questions you’re afraid to ask out loud. Questions like:

• Is my situation hopeless?
• If God already knows what he’s going to do, why bother to pray? 
• Why have you allowed this to happen to me? 
• No one appreciates what I do. Why shouldn’t I quit? 

Each devotion begins with a Facetime question and ends with a biblical answer wrapped in a modern day parable. Like a spiritual power bar, Hungry for God … Starving for Time is packed with enough scriptural nutrition to get you through the day. Wherever you are—in break rooms, carpool lines, or wherever you can snatch five minutes of quiet reflection—Hungry for God … Starving for Time, 5-Minute Devotions for Busy Women is for you.



If you enjoyed this post, why not subscribe? I'll send you twice-weekly 5-minute devotions to help nourish your soul. 
Because women need to connect with God in the craziness of life. 

Enter your email address and VALIDATE the Feedburner email sent to your inbox.



Delivered by FeedBurner











Hungry for God is on Facebook! Will you take a moment and LIKE my page? CLICK HERE to help HFG share 5-minute devotions.
 

 

 

6 comments:

  1. I loved this Lori. I need to print out this scripture so I can quickly refer to it on my "I'm not good enough" days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are AMAZING because you look just like your FATHER -- may He continue to conform us to His image so we can shine for Him :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thoroughly blessed today to read your devotion on the scrap Quilt--Waht a blessing--my kind of writing and reading--God Bless you as you see daily the intricate workings of our Father through the simple things of life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, I can't wait to see the beauty of our lives from God's perspective one day. Oh, how we see through a glass darkly -- but one day! Thanks so much for commenting :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Lori, this was a great dose of encouragement for me today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wanda,
    I am so glad God used it to remind you how special you are to Him. I continue to be amazed how He chooses to use us not just inspite of our weakenesses, but often because of them. Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete

Did this devotion speak to you? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Leave a comment below and join the conversation.