Thursday

When You Wonder If God Is Gone




It was one of the hardest times of our married life.

Seventeen years later, I still remember the nightmare. When my husband had awakened that morning, he was on top of his career. He was upwardly mobile, growing a nice retirement fund, and making more money than he'd ever made before. His nice salary enabled me to only work part time, spending the majority of my days with our two sweet daughters, ages 5 and 2.

Two hours later, it all came crashing down.

He had been laid off.

The next day, planning to go job hunting, he awakened with violent stomach pains. When we went to take him to the doctor that we could no longer afford to pay for, the car wouldn't start. Feeling like Job, we were afraid to even look at our young daughters lest a whirlwind swoop down and carry them away.

"What else can go wrong?" we wondered when one trial after another rocked our world. Worse than the trials were our feelings of abandonment. We felt  forsaken by God. We wondered if He saw our pain. We wondered if He cared.

Jacob felt this way. Estranged from his family, he was alone and fearful.

During the daylight hours, he managed to keep his thoughts at bay, but at night, when all was dark and quiet around him, the doubts would return. On one such night he was dozing, fearful thoughts nipping at the edge of his consciousness like a pack of hungry wolves. Suddenly, the dark thoughts vanished into the brightness of a dream. In his dream, Jacob saw God.

"I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go. I will not leave you,"God said.

Upon awakening, Jacob remarked with amazement,

"God was in this place and I did not know it."

Do you ever feel like Jacob, terribly alone and fearful, wondering if somehow your situation has escaped God's all-seeing eyes? I did that horrible morning when my world seemed to be falling down around me.

Looking back though, I can trace God's hand all the way through our trial. When things were darkest, and I didn't even know how to pray, God's brightness showed up. Looking back I can say,

"God was in this place, and I did not know it."

If you are in the midst of a trial, take comfort. God sees. God cares, and God is able to work in even the darkest situations.

Two thousand years ago, Emmanuel, "God with us" was born into our world. Will you look for God in your situation today? I pray that you will say with Jacob,

"God is in this place."



If you enjoyed this post, why not subscribe? I'll send you twice-weekly 5-minute devotions to help nourish your soul. 
Because women need to connect with God in the craziness of life. 

Enter your email address and VALIDATE the Feedburner email sent to your inbox.



Delivered by FeedBurner











Hungry for God is on Facebook! Will you take a moment and LIKE my page? CLICK HERE to help HFG share 5-minute devotions.


 Hungry for God Starving for Time
You want to connect with God, but in the craziness of life, it’s just not happening. You want practical, biblical answers to situations you face every day, but you don’t have hours to pore over Scripture.

You need a resource that answers the questions you’re afraid to ask out loud. Questions like:

• Is my situation hopeless?
• If God already knows what he’s going to do, why bother to pray? 
• Why have you allowed this to happen to me? 
• No one appreciates what I do. Why shouldn’t I quit? 

Each devotion begins with a Facetime question and ends with a biblical answer wrapped in a modern day parable. Like a spiritual power bar, Hungry for God … Starving for Time is packed with enough scriptural nutrition to get you through the day. Wherever you are—in break rooms, carpool lines, or wherever you can snatch five minutes of quiet reflection—Hungry for God … Starving for Time, 5-Minute Devotions for Busy Women is for you.


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did this devotion speak to you? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Leave a comment below and join the conversation.