Thursday

Practicing the Discipline of Thankfulness


“In everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.”  
 (1 Thess. 5:18)

The mountains are a hundred shades of green. 

What if God had made our world black and white?

Thank you, Lord, for green.

And if green grows wearisome, He throws in a splash of color, just for contrast. . . 


 Thank you, Lord, for color.

Sometimes He sprinkles in something good to eat where you least expect it.



Thank you, Lord, for food.


What if eating was purely for the purpose of sustaining life, nothing more?



Thank you, Lord, for the ability to taste my food.

Where else but in the mountains can you harvest an armful of beauty and take it home, free of charge?





Thank you, Lord, for wildflowers.

Creativity is better shared.

 




Thank you, Lord, for friends.

 
 In the city, water either comes from the sky or the pipes.   Here it bubbles up out of the ground.


 Thank you, Lord, for water. 



Laughter bubbles up, too. 



 Thank you, Lord, for laughter. 


It is not good for a man to be alone, even in a beautiful garden.
 




Thank you,  Lord, for families.




I remember taking a bath in Granny’s claw-footed bathtub. 



She heated the water in a big pot on the kerosene stove.





Thank you, Lord, for hot running water.


 When you lie down, you will not be afraid; Yes, you will lie down and your sleep will be sweet.  (Pr. 3:24)



Thank you, Lord, for restful sleep and gentle awakenings.



“Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence? If I ascend into heaven, You are there; If I make my bed in hell, behold, You are there. If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, Even there Your hand shall lead me, and Your right hand shall hold me.” (Psalm 139:7-9


Thank you, Lord, that wherever I go, you are there.  I love you!



If you were blessed by this post, please click the link below to share it with someone who needs encouragement. If you'd like to receive Be Not Weary bi-weekly in your email box, become a subscriber by entering your email address in the upper right hand corner where it says "Subscribe by email."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did this devotion speak to you? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Leave a comment below and join the conversation.