Thursday

What Are Your "Good and Perfect Gifts?"



I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly. . .

Sometimes my heart swells with God's goodness to me, and quick tears of gratitude cloud my vision. 

I am humbled not only by the big gifts, but especially by the small ones -- the ones God created just for me, or so it seems. 

The ones He sends to me in such a way that I know they are from Him alone -- like a secret admirer --  evidences of His smile upon me. 

"Just because I love you" gifts. 

They tender my heart and cause it to overflow, quiet joy leaking out of every ventricle. 

  Every good gift and every perfect gift comes is from above, coming down from the Father of lights.


Here are some of my good and perfect gifts:

Fat puppies' warm bellies.

The sweet spot at the back of a baby's neck.

An ice cold diet Coke with pizza.

The scent of the Rhode Island peonie that only blooms after a very cold winter.

A sleeping baby on my chest.

The rush of tears that fall in the wake of the Holy Spirit's footsteps.

Reeses Peanut Butter Eggs.
.
A hot shower in the winter.

Hearing "well done," in my heart after I have obeyed.

Warm berries right off the bushes.

An answer to prayer.

A warm bed on a cold Saturday morning.

An unprompted, "I love you, Mom."

The scent of honeysuckle.

A thank you.

Now it's your turn.  Click the link below to leave a comment with some of your "good and perfect gifts," and we will be thankful together.


5 comments:

  1. Alicia8:58 AM

    Some of the "good and perfect gifts" the Lord has given me:

    Literacy

    A hard-working husband who obeys the biblical mandate to provide for his family

    A sense of adventure

    Girlfriends

    Beautiful music and the sense of hearing with which to appreciate it

    Popcorn

    Rollercoasters

    Creativity and outlets through which to express it, like knitting, cross stitching, quilting, and scrapbooking

    An extra dose of handyman-ness (or handywoman-ness!)

    Hugs from my kids who are as big as me

    The Lord is great and greatly to be praised!

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  2. My children. My husband. Not that they are perfect, but they are a perfect gift. Rainstorms. Being humbled and laughing at myself. Absence of fear in a moment of joy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alicia, reading your list made me smile -- it ws like a visit with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Taylor Baird11:48 PM

    As I was sitting here going back through the older posts this one in particular touched me. It brought tears to my eyes to think of how we are so blessed by what God has provided for us. I am so thankful to have a wonderful family and friends. You and your family have done so much for me and I am truly
    thankful. I love you all.

    ReplyDelete

Did this devotion speak to you? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Leave a comment below and join the conversation.