Thursday

Can We Earn God's Favor?

I know I’m on shaky ground. 

The topic of this post is a theological octopus. It has the potential to make people angry, cry “FOUL,” shoot me scathing emails, and unsubscribe. 

It’s my Sunday school teacher’s fault, really. She led me to this verse, although I noticed she left the ticking time bomb untouched. Me, well, I had to pick it up, sparking fuse, sizzling flame, and all. 

“. . . he (Ezra) arrived in Jerusalem on the first day of the fifth month, for the gracious hand of his God was on him” (Ezra 7:9). You may remember the story. 

Ezra the priest, with the permission of King Artaxerxes, was leading a contingent of 5,000 Jews. They were carrying precious metal back to Jerusalem. Ezra’s troupe comprised the second wave of exiles returning to their homeland after the diaspora (dispersion). 

The journey was 900 miles long and dangerous, yet Ezra and the Jews made it safely, successfully transporting over 24 tons of silver and bronze to build the new temple. 

What caught my eye in the story was the phrase, “and the gracious hand of his God was on him.” 

The gracious hand of God granted Ezra safety, protection, favor, and provision on his 900-mile journey. Imagine what the gracious hand of God would look like in our lives. 

We’d be crazy not to want it, but how do we get it? 

Can we earn God’s favor? 

I’m not talking about earning God’s love—Scripture tells us that is unconditional. Ask the toddler in the church nursery lisping through John 3:16; God’s love is undeserved and unmerited. 

 I’m talking about God’s favor. His inclinations to bless us, help us, and answer our prayers. Can we earn the gracious hand of God upon our lives? 

I think so. 

Let’s read the next verse: 

 “. . . the gracious hand of God was upon him. For Ezra had devoted himself to the study and observance of the Law of the LORD, and to teaching its decrees and laws in Israel” (9b-10). 

By studying God’s Word, obeying what it said, and teaching it to others, Ezra positioned himself to experience the gracious hand of God upon his life. 

It’s a no-brainer, really. A loving Father blesses his obedient child. We do it all the time. Which child are we more inclined to favor, the obedient, loving, compassionate one, or the lazy, rebellious, selfish one? This doesn’t discount the mercy of God, nor does it limit his compassion only to those who obey him. It does, however, acknowledge the primary way God responds to his children—in response to their actions. 

But herein lies the potential for confusion. The gracious hand of God is not a spiritual Coke machine. We can’t just feed the God machine and expect it to pay out. God doesn’t invite us to check off the boxes in an attempt to manipulate him into doing what we want. 

God wants us to seek him diligently, obey him sincerely, and share salvation with others because it’s the best for us. And the best for the world. He wants our motivation to be love for him, not lust for stuff. And when we study, pursue, and tell others about him, the natural outcome of these actions is that we will be about his business. And the gracious hand of God will be upon us. It all comes down to relationship. 

Ezra loved God, and God called him to do some pretty amazing things. Then, through his gracious hand, God provided everything Ezra needed to accomplish it. 

I want this. 

How about you? 

What are your thoughts on the subject? I’d love for you to leave a comment below and chime in. 

 

If you enjoyed this devotion, may I tell you about my new book, Hungry for God … Starving for Time, 5-Minute Devotions for Busy Women?

 Today's women want to connect with God, but in the craziness of life, it’s just not happening. You want practical, biblical answers to situations you face every day, but you don’t have hours to pore over Scripture.

You need a resource that answers the questions you’re afraid to ask out loud. Questions like:

• Is my situation hopeless?
• If God already knows what he’s going to do, why bother to pray? 
• Why have you allowed this to happen to me? 
• No one appreciates what I do. Why shouldn’t I quit? 

Each devotion begins with a Facetime question and ends with a biblical answer wrapped in a modern day parable. Like a spiritual power bar, Hungry for God … Starving for Time is packed with enough scriptural nutrition to get you through the day. Wherever you are—in break rooms, carpool lines, or wherever you can snatch five minutes of quiet reflection—Hungry for God … Starving for Time, 5-Minute Devotions for Busy Women is for you. 

 
If you enjoyed this post, why not subscribe? I'll send you twice-weekly 5-minute devotions to help nourish your soul. 
Because women need to connect with God in the craziness of life. 

Enter your email address and VALIDATE the Feedburner email sent to your inbox.



Delivered by FeedBurner











Hungry for God is on Facebook! Will you take a moment and LIKE my page? CLICK HERE to help HFG share 5-minute devotions.
 

 

 

6 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your post. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words, Lynn, and for stopping by today. Blessings to you!

      Delete
  2. Hi Lori,

    Thank you so much for your wonderful blog! I love reading it and especially enjoy your videos. Lori would you be able to do a series on "God's Grace", especially helping me to understand why I am so underserving. I also wondered if you could talk about how you came to accept Christ and how you have a developed a "relationship" with Him.

    Hugs,

    Lois

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Lois,
      Thanks for your kind words of encouragement. I love hearing from readers, especially from readers with great ideas! The topic of grace is an excellent one, one I don't think I've ever written on. I might need to do some homework! And as for telling my salvation story, that's one story I LOVE to tell. Stay tuned :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Hi Lois,
      I forgot to tell you that I share my testimony in video form on the How to Know God page on my blog. Here's the link: http://lori-benotweary.blogspot.com/p/do-you-know-god.html

      Delete

Did this devotion speak to you? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Leave a comment below and join the conversation.