Monday

God Is Not Deaf

Facetime: God, sometimes you seem so far away. Do you even hear me when I pray? 

“MommmmmmmYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!”

The scream began loudly and climbed the upper octaves until it ended in a crescendo that would have impressed the New York Symphony. Certain there was blood involved, I dropped the laundry basket and raced down the hallway.

Rounding the corner to my daughters’ bedroom, I was relieved to find them, intact and with no gushing arteries, chattering happily on the bed.

 

“Why did you scream for me?” I asked, unsure whether to clutch my racing heart or my pounding head, both aching from the sudden surge of adrenaline that had interrupted my chores.

“We’re hungry,” my eldest calmly announced, “and I didn’t know if you could hear me.”

Sometimes I scream as loudly and frantically as my daughters.

My need is usually greater than a desire for a peanut butter sandwich. It may be a serious financial need, a bad doctor’s report, or a difficulty in my marriage. And although I know God has perfect hearing, you’d never know it by the panic in my voice.

Instead of approaching God with faith and trust, I act like he’s uncaring and miles away. Like my daughters did when they couldn’t see me, I assume he isn’t nearby. I forget that his ears are attentive to my cry, and that he delights in responding to my prayers.

As my daughters matured, they learned to trust me to care for them, meet their needs, and be a consistent source of help. This didn’t happen overnight. It took years of loving care to build a strong foundation of trust between us.




As I mature in my faith, I’m learning to trust God in the same way. The more I experience his consistent care for me, the more my faith grows. Now, instead of panic and fear, I come to him in quiet trust, knowing he will hear and answer my prayers. 




As Brother Lawrence, a 17th century monk, once observed, “You need not cry very loud; He is nearer to us than we think.”

“The LORD is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth. He fulfills the desires of those who fear him; he hears their cry and saves them. The LORD watches over all who love him,” (Psalm 145:18-20). 

What about you? Are you struggling to trust God with something important? What helps you remember that he is near to you? Leave a comment below and share your thoughts. 

Tonight at 6 pm EST I'll be hanging out with Scott McCausey of Blogtalk Radio's Speak Up! He's doing the Best of 2014 program. You can listen online HERE or by podcast later. I hope you'll tune in!








LOOKING FOR THE PERFECT GIFT 
FOR THE BUSY WOMAN IN YOUR LIFE?


May I tell you about my new book, Hungry for God … Starving for Time, 5-Minute Devotions for Busy Women?

 Today's women want to connect with God, but in the craziness of life, it’s just not happening. You want practical, biblical answers to situations you face every day, but you don’t have hours to pore over Scripture.

You need a resource that answers the questions you’re afraid to ask out loud. Questions like:

• Is my situation hopeless?
• If God already knows what he’s going to do, why bother to pray? 
• Why have you allowed this to happen to me? 
• No one appreciates what I do. Why shouldn’t I quit? 

Each devotion begins with a Facetime question and ends with a biblical answer wrapped in a modern day parable. Like a spiritual power bar, Hungry for God … Starving for Time is packed with enough scriptural nutrition to get you through the day. Wherever you are—in break rooms, carpool lines, or wherever you can snatch five minutes of quiet reflection—Hungry for God … Starving for Time, 5-Minute Devotions for Busy Women is for you. 

 
If you enjoyed this post, why not subscribe? I'll send you twice-weekly 5-minute devotions to help nourish your soul. 
Because women need to connect with God in the craziness of life. 

Enter your email address and VALIDATE the Feedburner email sent to your inbox.



Delivered by FeedBurner











Hungry for God is on Facebook! Will you take a moment and LIKE my page? CLICK HERE to help HFG share 5-minute devotions.
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did this devotion speak to you? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Leave a comment below and join the conversation.