Thursday

Let's Get Drunk

Hey, it’s Katie. 

We need to get drunk tonight. 

The text was unexpected, and it arrived on my phone with a quiet little swoosh. I didn’t recognize the number, and I don’t know anyone named Katie, but my heart went out to this unknown woman on the other side of the text message.

First Peter 3:15 flashed through my mind as I stared at the nine words on my iPhone screen.

“Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect.”

Hi Katie, I typed back, Jesus can fill your emptiness way better than alcohol. I know, because he did it for me.

I wondered who Katie was. I live in a city with five colleges or universities. Was Katie a college student, perhaps the age of my youngest daughter? Was she lonely and sad? Was drinking herself into oblivion the only way she knew to numb her pain?

I know, she texted back, Can we talk later? Is it okay for me to go to the tanning bed with you? 

Her response told me she had no idea that she was communicating with a complete stranger.


I think you sent this to the wrong number, I texted, But maybe not, because I think God wanted me to remind you how much he loves you.  

The phone went silent, and I pictured her awkward and perhaps embarrassed reaction.

Before I fell asleep, I prayed for Katie, and for women like her. I asked God to reveal himself to them, bring Christians across their paths, and grant them the faith to believe.

 Thank you, Lord, for the privilege of speaking truth into this young woman’s heart, I prayed. May she read my words and sense your heart. Help her realize you’re the only one who can mend a broken heart, fill an empty one, or create a brand new one. Draw her to yourself, Amen. 

Today I was ready to share Jesus. Other times I walk right past an opportunity like this because I’m distracted, lazy, or self-centered. Lord, I prayed again, give me eyes to see where you are at work around me and the courage to respond in a way that points people to you. 

Will you join me in praying for Katie today? And when the opportunity comes to share the reason for the hope that lies within you, will you be ready?

We’ll never know on this side of eternity how God can use our simple words, but that’s not our responsibility; it’s his. Our calling is to speak up whenever he gives us the chance. The results are up to him.

May God richly bless you as you share your faith with those around you.

Has God given you an unexpected opportunity to share your faith recently? I'd love to hear about it. Leave a comment below and share your experience.

If you liked this post, you might enjoy "Temporary Assignment."


         To subscribe to Hungry for God. . . Starving for Time, enter your email address below.
You'll receive an email asking you to validate your subscription. Don't forget to do so!


Delivered by FeedBurner






Hungry for God is on Pinterest! If you're a Pinterest fan, I'd love to connect with you there. CLICK HERE to follow Hungry for God. I'd love to follow you back :) 

 

2 comments:

  1. I think I would have just deleted this text and been too lazy to deal with the whole situation. But I've been asking the Lord to give me opportunities like these so that I can react like you did and point people to Him. Of course, what they do with my words is up to Him, but I want to know that I tried. I want to please Him with my trying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW--great response! You made a difference in her life. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Did this devotion speak to you? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Leave a comment below and join the conversation.