Thursday

My friend the judge -- it's all in who you know


Sam was in a pickle. 

Newly married, he and his wife were days away from a mission trip when they realized they didn’t have a vital document necessary to allow them to enter the country. He called my husband and me in a panic, unsure what to do. 

Thinking furiously, I blurted out the first thing that came to mind: “I have a friend who is a judge. Maybe he can help.” I’d known Clyde for years, worked with his wife, and prayed for his kids. “I’m sure he’ll do whatever he can.” 

A quick phone call confirmed that Clyde was, indeed, willing to help. 

Unfortunately, willingness wasn’t enough. 

“I’m a family court judge,” he said when I explained Sam’s dilemma. “His request is out of my jurisdiction. I have no power.” 

Disappointed, I phoned Sam with the bad news. He thanked me for trying, impressed I was willing to go to bat for him. “I’ve never known anyone who had a judge’s phone number in her contacts,” he said. “I’da been scared to death to call him.” 

Sam's mission organization intervened, he received the documents he needed, and he and his wife left for the mission trip as scheduled. As I breathed a sigh of relief, I thought back on my attempt to help him. 

I wasn’t afraid boldly to phone my friend the judge because I had a relationship with him. I was confident he'd hear my request and do everything within his power to help. Unfortunately, Judge Clyde didn’t have the power or the authority to intercede on Sam’s behalf. 

I remembered this experience when I read Hebrews 4:16: 

“Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.” 

I called an important man to ask him to advocate on Sam’s behalf because I had a relationship with him. How much more should I feel the freedom to approach God, my Great High Priest, on the basis of my relationship with him? 

“We do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses,” Hebrews 4:15 says, “but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are . . .” 

My friend Clyde sympathized with Sam’s predicament. My friend Jesus sympathizes with mine—my woes, my heartbreaks, my fears, my struggles, and my weaknesses. He, too, was tested and tempted, but because he was sinless, he earned the right not only to sympathize, but to advocate for me. 

Judge Clyde didn’t have the authority to act on Sam’s behalf. His jurisdiction was limited and his power was narrow. Jesus Christ, however, has full jurisdiction and all power necessary to help me. 

“Was my arm too short to ransom you?” God asked Isaiah. “Do I lack the strength to rescue you? By a mere rebuke I dry up the sea, I turn rivers into a desert” (Isa. 50:2). 

On the basis of my relationship with my Great High Priest, Jesus Christ, I can “approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that (I) may receive mercy and find help in time of need” (Heb. 5:16). 

What about you? Are you struggling with something today? You may feel hindered, helpless, and hopeless, and you may very well be. 

But God is not. 

I encourage you to call upon him today. I believe you’ll find mercy, grace, and help in your time of need.


If you enjoyed this post, why not subscribe? I'll send you twice-weekly 5-minute devotions to help nourish your soul. 
Because women need to connect with God in the craziness of life. 

Enter your email address and VALIDATE the Feedburner email sent to your inbox.



Delivered by FeedBurner



May I tell you about my new book, Hungry for God … Starving for Time, 5-Minute Devotions for Busy Women?

 Today's women want to connect with God, but in the craziness of life, it’s just not happening. You want practical, biblical answers to situations you face every day, but you don’t have hours to pore over Scripture.

You need a resource that answers the questions you’re afraid to ask out loud. Questions like:

• Is my situation hopeless?
• If God already knows what he’s going to do, why bother to pray? 
• Why have you allowed this to happen to me? 
• No one appreciates what I do. Why shouldn’t I quit? 

Each devotion begins with a Facetime question and ends with a biblical answer wrapped in a modern day parable. Like a spiritual power bar, Hungry for God … Starving for Time is packed with enough scriptural nutrition to get you through the day. Wherever you are—in break rooms, carpool lines, or wherever you can snatch five minutes of quiet reflection—Hungry for God … Starving for Time, 5-Minute Devotions for Busy Women is for you. 

3 comments:

  1. I love this. It's true. God wants us to come to Him, even though He knows us, flaws and all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Tim, and that's TRUE LOVE! Thanks for stopping by today :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you, my new dear friend. I knew I had to write to you because you, your name or an article you wrote have come across my computer three times.....three times.

    So here I am reading your good words and subscribing to your blog. In appreciation for your words of encouragement I would like to pass on to you something I wrote and hope it encourages you as well:

    He who offers a sacrifice of thanksgiving honors Me… (Psalm 50:23)

    It takes faith to trust Him
    A sacrifice to yield
    An effort to give thanks

    He comes to the bowed head
    Touches the yielded heart
    Praise moves us into the Holy

    In our yielded hearts He finds pleasure
    His plans are perfected in us
    His work revealed for good
    A miracle is released in the sacrifice of thanksgiving

    Trembling lips feel the full-faced touch of the Holy

    We are His masterpiece
    Not a trinket on the shelf
    But a tool in His hand

    We trust Him
    For the beauty we do not see
    The songs we do not hear
    He knows the beginning from the end

    He is here

    ReplyDelete

Did this devotion speak to you? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Leave a comment below and join the conversation.